I have lost finds... why?

Just three days ago I had 412 finds. Then today I got an email that my log was deleted from a cache we found three years ago. I have emailed and asked the owner why he has done this. No answer yet. While looking into this I noticed one of my latest finds was one that is being archived by the Arizona State Dept. So do these two things... a deletion and an archive take away from my find total? Because I now have 410 finds. Or has something else happened? Please help... I am in a race with family members and each cache is important to us :) Thank you!

Just three days ago I had 412 finds. Then today I got an email that my log was deleted from a cache we found three years ago. I have emailed and asked the owner why he has done this. No answer yet. While looking into this I noticed one of my latest finds was one that is being archived by the Arizona State Dept. So do these two things... a deletion and an archive take away from my find total? Because I now have 410 finds. Or has something else happened? Please help... I am in a race with family members and each cache is important to us :) Thank you!

An archive would not have lessened your find count. I'm guessing that you probably logged the same cache a few times accidentally and the CO only recently discovered it and deleted the two duplicates.

An archive would not have lessened your find count. I'm guessing that you probably logged the same cache a few times accidentally and the CO only recently discovered it and deleted the two duplicates.

You may be correct because I have found my post on that cache. I only got one notice though... how can I tell if two were deleted?

You received an email for the log deletion, so you know which cache. Go to the cache page, and see if the upper right corner still says "Found It".

Archived caches will not affect your count. Retracted (published, then unpublished) caches will affect your count, however.

Retracted caches still count as finds. I have found two caches that were since retracted. They are both on my list of finds.

According to your statistics, found here: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c4ceceff-9f46-4d34-a999-310da259561c

you still have duplicate "found it" logs:

Flyin'SpiderFam has found 410 caches (407 distinct) since 09/29/2004.

Perhaps a cache owner deleted a duplicate log, or deleted a log that contained a "spoiler" photo. Cache owners no longer need to delete the log, but some folks might not know that.

Your "found it" log on archived caches do not get deleted.

From reading other threads about the same thing, I've learned about project-gc, where you can do a search for "bad logs". Never used it, so I'm not sure if I have that right.

B.

You may be correct because I have found my post on that cache. I only got one notice though... how can I tell if two were deleted?

You should get an email for each separate log that was deleted.

Here are caches that you've logged more than once:

http://coord.info/GCP37W

http://coord.info/GC1XFW5

http://coord.info/GC1DQD7

Used this: http://project-gc.com/Profile/findbadlogs/?profile_name=Flyin%27SpiderFam&submit=Filter (not sure how up to date it is)

You received an email for the log deletion, so you know which cache. Go to the cache page, and see if the upper right corner still says "Found It".

Archived caches will not affect your count. Retracted (published, then unpublished) caches will affect your count, however.

If you have logged a cache that is then later unpublished you will still have the find count. You won't be able to view the cache page but the find will still count and the cache and find will download with your MyFinds pQ. I know this from experience.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have gone in and deleted the duplicated log entries that were brought to my attention... If someone could check those again for me I could appreciate it. I am not a Premium Member and cannot access my Statistics. My cache count is now correctly 407... a little disheartening, but honest now!!

Appreciate your time!!

:)

Edited by Flyin'SpiderFam

Thank you everyone for your help. I have gone in and deleted the duplicated log entries that were brought to my attention...

I'm not sure that the problems have been solved.

Flyin'SpiderFam has found 410 caches (407 distinct) since 09/29/2004.

That indicates that you still have duplicate "found it" logs somewhere.

If someone could check those again for me I could appreciate it. I am not a Premium Member and cannot access my Statistics. My cache count is now correctly 407... a little disheartening, but honest now!!

Appreciate your time!!

You should be able to see the statistics on your profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c4ceceff-9f46-4d34-a999-310da259561c

Help Center → Other → Miscellaneous

6.7. Your Geocaching Statistics

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=299

All Members have a Geocaching Statistics page based on their geocache finds. Geocaching Statistics available to Basic Members are limited, while Premium Members have more statistics available to them.

B.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have gone in and deleted the duplicated log entries that were brought to my attention... If someone could check those again for me I could appreciate it. I am not a Premium Member and cannot access my Statistics. My cache count is now correctly 407... a little disheartening, but honest now!!

Appreciate your time!!

http://project-gc.com/Profile/FindBadLogs

You don't need to be a Premium Member to use the site!

Official Groundspeak api partner, you only need to Authenticate the site with Groundspeak.

My apologies for the bad information regarding unpublished caches (thanks for the correction, guys). I know it messes with some statistics, but apparently not the count.

Flyin'SpiderFam has not found any lab caches. I think he deleted all the dups because the profile page says "407 found". The "410 found, 407 unique" under statistics is probably because it has not been re-generated after he deleted the duplicates, should self-correct within 24 hours.

My apologies for the bad information regarding unpublished caches (thanks for the correction, guys). I know it messes with some statistics, but apparently not the count.

I don't know of any stat issues with retracted caches. I acquired a retracted-cache find a few years ago, and my stats have been just fine since then. The cache is still included in all of the tables and graphs like Cache Types, Container Types, etc.

While it isn't really a stat, when you go to the list of my finds in my Public Profile, the total shown is one less than my actual total. That one retracted cache is most likely the reason for this.

I think I am all AOK now.. *You've found 407 caches (407 distinct) since your first cache find on 09/29/2004.*

Our first found cache was on my youngest son's 10th birthday, and we didn't have a GPS!! But we had fun!!

He is now is college, and has helped us get to three other countries! :)

Thank you everyone!

Can anyone see what my most finds in one day is? I would appreciate that info :)

Edited by Flyin'SpiderFam

Can anyone see what my most finds in one day is? I would appreciate that info :)

I'm curious to know what stats a Basic Member sees in their profile.

Could you tell me what you are able to see, Flyin'Spider, in your stats page here:

Can you see:

Find Rate 0.1164 caches/day

Longest Streak 40 consecutive days with finds from 08/01/2013 to 09/09/2013

Longest Slump 447 consecutive days without a find from 08/12/2006 to 11/02/2007

Best Day 9 caches in one day on 06/28/2005

Best Month 37 caches in August of 2013

Best Year 82 caches in 2013

B.

Could you tell me what you are able to see, Flyin'Spider, in your stats page here:

Can you see:

B.

Can you see:

B.

Thank you for the detailed info. As a basic member, I only get the top graph, the Finds Per Month and this info:

*You've found 407 caches (407 distinct) since your first cache find on 09/29/2004.

*You find the most caches in March and usually on Sunday.

Sue