NEW GEOCACHER - is this a good first GPS?

The ad says it has a geocaching function. Should I give this one a bid? Any recommendations on a first GPS/if I should bid or not would be very appreciated. Thanks.

LINK BELOW:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261459763795?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D261459763795%26_rdc%3D1

That's the one I've been using. Its a little big but it works well, and it floats, which has come in handy a few times. You can throw it at someone in a kayak and watch their horrified reaction when they don't catch it. I'd say its an excellent first GPS.

Nothing wrong with this model but you should not pay more then about $30. The Garmin models from today are called 'old' after about 3 years.

This is an old model and I'm not sure if it has and can read from Sd, which is extreme important because today's maps are huge (2 - 3 GB) one map.

I'm not even sure if it can handle today's data at all, also be aware it might have an serial interface not usb. Buy it only if they provide the cable with it.

IF it has a geocaching function, they might mean you can manually input a waypoint and navigate to it, I really doubt you can use it as today's modern Gps'es.

Once again I'm not completely sure, but be aware.

See also:

http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_gpsmap-76csx

Great GPS overall (and yes it does have a card slot) but maybe not ideal for geocaching today. Think of it as a 60csx that floats - and the 60csx was long considered THE premiere geocaching device. The only real advantages newer models have are faster processors and better "paperless" geocaching support - convenient features for getting all of your geocache data (names, logs, hints, etc) into the gadget, instead of just the waypoints.

Someone who wants the 76csx for boating, or maybe to replace a legacy unit, will probably bid that eBay one far over Splashy's suggested $30 - though I'd be surprised if it went as high as the listed "Buy It Now" price.

Edited by user13371

The advantage that newer units have is storage space and larger limits on the number of waypoints and geocaches you can have on your device, not to mention complete paperless caching. In the GPS world, this model isn't old, it's ancient. You'd do much better with something like a 62s or Oregon 450 for an older reduced price model, but still very capable by today's standards.

The advantage that newer units have is storage space and larger limits on the number of waypoints and geocaches you can have on your device, not to mention complete paperless caching. In the GPS world, this model isn't old, it's ancient. You'd do much better with something like a 62s or Oregon 450 for an older reduced price model, but still very capable by today's standards.

+1.

The thing I don't get, really, is why the 76csx gets no love while the 60csx is still somewhat respectable. I don't just mean the comments here or for geocaching in general. You can look at completed sales on eBay and see used 60csx usually* go for more than the 76csx.

Same innards!

---

* but I just noticed some recent sales that refute my premise!

76csx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gps+76csx&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

60csx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gps+60csx&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Edited by user13371

I would personally steer people away from the 60csx in favor of the 62s as well. But it really depends on the use. For general outdoor navigation, the older units are just fine. For geocaching, the newer units are better. For navigating with in-GPS maps, the newer units are better for space and speed. Any unit that lacks a standard USB interface should be off the table.

Yes, all of the models discussed meet the USB specification. I don't think USB 2.0 is necessary. Maps can be transferred to a card without the card being in the unit, and gpx data is generally small enough to transfer quickly. A lot of people like to use the eTrex h, which does not have a USB interface on the device. It vexes me why they go and replace their ancient eTrex with the same model when newer ones are available at the same price. But yes, there are even older GPS's that connect via serial interface, and that dadgum serial to usb cable can be tricky with modern computers. I say it's best just to restrict your search to models with a standard usb connector since cables are easy to come by, and they plug-n'-play with no problems.

Not strange. A physical USB port with a proprietary PITN protocol is different than a "standard USB interface" in all of the electrical, physical, AND protocol senses.

USB2 != a specific speed. USB2 includes high speed, full speed, and low speed. I'll just leave "SuperSpeed" and USB3 here on the nightstand. (USB3 similarly doesn't equate to a specific speed; it's a specification, electrical, physical, and protocol, that can include a variety of speeds.)

I'm bummed to be that pedantic dude...

The Garmin Usb until the Montana is slow anyway, better take out the Sd and write the Map straight on the Sd anyway.

The model the Op was referring to has a Serial AFAIK and that's something you don't want.

Anyway the Op never came back, maybe he made a totally different choice.

In the event the OP is still around, I used the 76CSx for the first few years of caching, boating, hunting, general GPS use, and it is a very good model for all of that. Found several hundred caches with it until I moved to a 62s; then loaned the 76 to a friend who found about 1,000 while they scrimped and saved for a GPS of their own. The only reason I moved up to the 62s was to get paperless caching; otherwise the 76 was, and still is a rock-solid GPS that can get the job done with the best of them. It does have a USB (not serial) connector, does take a SD card for maps and other data, and also has the round 4-pin connector for external power for use in a vehicle or boat. IMHO, if the newer, paperless 62s had that 4-pin connector, it would be just about perfect, as that connector is more structurally sound than the USB connector.

The model the Op was referring to has a Serial AFAIK

76csx also has USB. I *think* it's the only model discussed in this thread with both. Not sure about the 60csx. Amazingly, I know some folks who use old computers, fish finders, chart plotters, etc who consider RS232 a useful feature. That's why any used 76csx is more likely to sell to a boater than a geocacher.

Happens a lot. Scared another newbie off, all this intensity here :D

Or maybe he's just watching that original auction - it's at $66 (as of Saturday, with 2 days to go). And in the context of the original question - yes, at a good price the 76csx would be a good beginner's choice. Obviously the market at large values it more than your limit of $30, and I myself wouldn't go over $80 for it.

Academic, that is. I'm not in the market for one right now.

Edited by user13371

In the event the OP is still around, I used the 76CSx for the first few years of caching, boating, hunting, general GPS use, and it is a very good model for all of that. Found several hundred caches with it until I moved to a 62s; then loaned the 76 to a friend who found about 1,000 while they scrimped and saved for a GPS of their own. The only reason I moved up to the 62s was to get paperless caching; otherwise the 76 was, and still is a rock-solid GPS that can get the job done with the best of them. It does have a USB (not serial) connector, does take a SD card for maps and other data, and also has the round 4-pin connector for external power for use in a vehicle or boat. IMHO, if the newer, paperless 62s had that 4-pin connector, it would be just about perfect, as that connector is more structurally sound than the USB connector.

Thanks!!! I appreciate the comment. Based upon the other replies I feel like I should buy a paperless model. That's a lot of caching. What's the coolest one you found? Thanks for the lengthy reply - it's very nice of you.

The model the Op was referring to has a Serial AFAIK

76csx also has USB. I *think* it's the only model discussed in this thread with both. Not sure about the 60csx. Amazingly, I know some folks who use old computers, fish finders, chart plotters, etc who consider RS232 a useful feature. That's why any used 76csx is more likely to sell to a boater than a geocacher.

Happens a lot. Scared another newbie off, all this intensity here :D

Or maybe he's just watching that original auction - it's at $43 right now. And in the context of the original question - yes, at a good price the 76csx would be a good beginner's choice. Obviously the market at large values it more than your limit of $30, and I myself wouldn't go over $80 for it.

Academic, that is. I'm not in the market for one right now.

I've been watching quietly from the sidelines ;)

Based upon these replies I think I'll skip this one and go for a paperless model. I appreciate the comment. Cheers

The Garmin Usb until the Montana is slow anyway, better take out the Sd and write the Map straight on the Sd anyway.

The model the Op was referring to has a Serial AFAIK and that's something you don't want.

Splashy I'm here! :) have been reading replies on my phone. Just logged in. Thank you, and everyone else for the helpful replies.

The thing I don't get, really, is why the 76csx gets no love while the 60csx is still somewhat respectable. I don't just mean the comments here or for geocaching in general. You can look at completed sales on eBay and see used 60csx usually* go for more than the 76csx.

Same innards!

---

* but I just noticed some recent sales that refute my premise!

76csx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gps+76csx&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

60csx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gps+60csx&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

IMO its an ergonomics thing. I've used one in the field and they are awkward....its almost a two hand unit like the Montana. The button placement is such that you're hand hides the screen while pressing the buttons.

Also I'm not sure if the 76 had the quad antenna like the 60.

Don't know what the OP's price range is, but this thread shows how to find a 62s at $199.

The 62S at that price ( just bought a third one ) is a great deal on the best GPS I've ever used and I've used a bunch. I see nothing on the horizon that would make this unit cease to be relevant. Holding a dump truck full of caches is nice but my PQ's are limited to a wheelbarrow each.

...absolutely no reason to pay that price...

And yet, that''s not an uncommon price for these, judging by this and other recent eBay sales. I also aw one listed for $175 in the Garage Sale here recently. It sold, but I don't know of they got their asking price.

There are certainly better GEOCACHING options for that kind of money - but when older equipment like this gets a good selling price, it's for someone else. If you have sunk costs in other gear (mounts, cables, computers or other devices with RS232 ports, maps, specialized software) it probably makes more sense to replace just a broken GPS than your whole kit.

Edited by user13371

Got to throw my $.02 in on this one. I have bought my first gps, a Magellan 4000, in 1997. Since then I have gone through a Map76, Map76s, Map76CS, Map76CSx, and a Map 78s. The Map 78s with its paperless caching capability and ability to load aerial photography is the best for geocaching. But the 76CSx finds the position quicker and seems to be slightly more accurate. I have started using it when I put out a new cache. When I got it I used a palm pilot for paperless caching. Now I am thinking about ordering another Map 78s to replace my current one because I have not seen a unit I like better.

Got to throw my $.02 in on this one. I have bought my first gps, a Magellan 4000, in 1997. Since then I have gone through a Map76, Map76s, Map76CS, Map76CSx, and a Map 78s. The Map 78s with its paperless caching capability and ability to load aerial photography is the best for geocaching. But the 76CSx finds the position quicker and seems to be slightly more accurate. I have started using it when I put out a new cache. When I got it I used a palm pilot for paperless caching. Now I am thinking about ordering another Map 78s to replace my current one because I have not seen a unit I like better.

Hi Gary.....been awhile since we saw you.

The 62S and 78S are the same unit just physically different. The 62S is selling about $50 cheaper than the 78S......I like the 62 for one hand operation. After MANY years with the 70 series Martin Booda just got a 62S.....give him an email and see what he thinks about the change.

The 62S and 78S are the same unit just physically different. The 62S is selling about $50 cheaper than the 78S......I like the 62 for one hand operation. After MANY years with the 70 series Martin Booda just got a 62S.....give him an email and see what he thinks about the change.

Good to talk to you again. I have tried the 60 series a few times when somebody had one at an event but I have been using the 70 series for so long I am used to it. You are right about the same operating system and I like that. It all comes down to personal preference between the two styles. I have looked at the 64 and just don't know that it is worth switching to.

Good to talk to you again. I have tried the 60 series a few times when somebody had one at an event but I have been using the 70 series for so long I am used to it. You are right about the same operating system and I like that. It all comes down to personal preference between the two styles. I have looked at the 64 and just don't know that it is worth switching to.

Re the 64 I don't think the GLONASS is going to amount to a hill of beans where we live and the increased cache capacity is nice but I don't really need it..... for right now I think it's over priced. I'm used to the 60 layout and as a result just got a third 62S ( my wife and I each use one so I bought a spare at $199). Since you're used to the 70's if I were you I'd get the 78S.