garmin oregon 450 550 accuracy

So your all telling me I just wasted my money buying my oregon? My Samsung s4 gets just as good accuracy as my oregon. But in all seriousness it's nice to have a dedicated device and not kill my phone battery. Also being an outdoors person I can use it for more then geocaching.

Thanks for the replies

So your all telling me I just wasted my money buying my oregon? My Samsung s4 gets just as good accuracy as my oregon.

Just remember, a stand alone GPS unit has been designed with GPS reception in mind, a GPS receiver first and foremost. A smart-phone is a smart-phone first and everything else second. I don't think you've wasted your money.

So your all telling me I just wasted my money buying my oregon? My Samsung s4 gets just as good accuracy as my oregon. But in all seriousness it's nice to have a dedicated device and not kill my phone battery. Also being an outdoors person I can use it for more then geocaching.

Thanks for the replies

Are you going by what the Phone or GPS is telling you for accuracy or have you actually stood on a Benchmark and compared.....

I was using military GPS systems back in the Early 80s before Clinton signed off and opened the accuracy to the public...The Civilian systems today are amazing compared to what we had back then...If we could get a lock within a 50 meter zone we were lucky....Now you are complaining about getting down to 15 or 20 feet...If you think about the variables and mathematics involved that is incredible....To he honest why would you need to get any less then 20 feet if you aren't doing survey?? The chances of your GPS unit and the Cache owners GPS unit being calibrated within 20 feet are pretty much next to nil anyway..

Garmin, Magellan, Delorme etc etc may have the Technology and the know how to make a more accurate GPS but the costs would probably be astronomical..

Thanks for all the replies. I was being a little sarcastic when I said "your telling me I wasted my money" You are right 14-20 feet accuracy is pretty good I just thought a dedicated GPS would be a little more accurate then my phone. I did have the same cach set on GPS and phone and they were about the same. Sometimes my phone even went down to accuracy of 9 feet (Samsung s4). Which I don't know if I should belive in that %100. But again thanks for all the replies.

Your Galaxy S4 supports receiving signals from the GLONASS satellites (which the 450 & 550 do not), so more satellites are available for your phone to receive signals from.

In a clear sky situation, you really shouldn't see a difference, but with heavy tree cover or other situations where the signal could be interfered with, your phone may be more accurate.

Both my friend and I have garmin oregon 450 and a 550t. We were out caching today and the lowest are accuracy was was like 14 15 feet and would go up in the 20s. Shouldn't the accuracy be better then that?

Thanks

Take time to enable WAAS on those Oregons, and on a day when the constellation is decent, and the EPE reading may haul itself down to 8 or 9 feet.