Someone from Australia?

Jeta73

Hi, Im new and cant wait to start on this adventure. I have seen some caches in my area by clicking on 'view map' but some of them say that no one has been there since 2013. So does that mean they are not there anymore? Or that they are still there and no one has gone to it for a long time?

Im still trying to work out how all this works, and if anyone needs a buddy in my area to go looking on adventures together, please feel free to contact me :)

Im located in Endeavour Hills Victoria 3802 , there are a few around me i see too, i just dont know if i should go and check them out and see if there still there. Vey much amatuerish i am!!

Do a search of Endeavour Hills,Vic to 10Ks & then scroll down the results page & click the box next to "Highlight beginners caches". You'll get a range of caches highlighted in sickly yellow which by rights should be a good intro to the activity. Find a few easier ones to get your confidence up & away you go. Also check to see if there are any Events (geocaching get-togethers) in your area & go along to one of those. You'll get plenty of advice & tips & meet like minded, friendly people.

Hi, Im new and cant wait to start on this adventure. I have seen some caches in my area by clicking on 'view map' but some of them say that no one has been there since 2013. So does that mean they are not there anymore? Or that they are still there and no one has gone to it for a long time?

Im still trying to work out how all this works, and if anyone needs a buddy in my area to go looking on adventures together, please feel free to contact me :)

Hi Jeta73,

I live just down the road from you in Cranbourne. Not found since 2013 isn't a long time to go unfound. Any cache that hasn't been found and logged online for 6 months is considered to be 'unloved'. There is a challenge cache that requires geocachers to find a number of 'unloved' caches. Finding such caches has become an obsession for me. :rolleyes:

The number of DNF logs is a much better indication of whether or not a cache is still present. Also look to see if the Cache Owner is still active. If the CO isn't active, there is more chance that the cache is missing and won't be replaced.

If you're on Facebook, there a number of groups of cachers. One such group is comprised of mostly Melbourne geocachers. You're welcome to join in.

Cheers,

b.