Active Duty Military

steph+3

I am new to geocaching. I'm also active duty military. There is a new park down the road from where I live (not on base) and I think it would be a nice place to put a cache. There currently aren't any there yet (park is only a few months old). My concern is if I place the cache I will have to leave the area in three years time. Would I be able to pass off ownership to someone else in the area? Or should I just wait and see if any other geocachers in the area think my park idea is a good one? Thoughts?

I am new to geocaching. I'm also active duty military. There is a new park down the road from where I live (not on base) and I think it would be a nice place to put a cache. There currently aren't any there yet (park is only a few months old). My concern is if I place the cache I will have to leave the area in three years time. Would I be able to pass off ownership to someone else in the area? Or should I just wait and see if any other geocachers in the area think my park idea is a good one? Thoughts?

If you are going to be there for 3 years, go for it--and worry about later, later. In the mean time, get to know the other cachers in the area and you will quite likely meet someone who will be glad to adopt it from you when you leave.

And thank you for your service.

I think it's a great idea. Go for it!

We had one in my area under similar circumstances. The cache owner was on a short tour in our area, and had an ammo can filled with foreign coins from all the places he'd been stationed at. It was fun to look through all the coinage. When he got restationed, he just took the cache with him to his next destination for other folks to enjoy.

Edited by Touchstone