Problems with my Magellan eXplorist GC

Hi,

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac, and my Magellan eXplorist GPS has started experiencing problems. Whenever I try to download more than one cache at a time off of the geocaching map page, my GPS will only load the first cache I download. Any that I try to download after that will say they have downloaded successfully on my Mac but not show up on my GPS. The exception to this is pocket queries, those work just fine. However, this means that whenever I don't use a pocket query I have to disconnect and reconnect my GPS after every cache I download. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks!

Hi,

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac, and my Magellan eXplorist GPS has started experiencing problems. Whenever I try to download more than one cache at a time off of the geocaching map page, my GPS will only load the first cache I download. Any that I try to download after that will say they have downloaded successfully on my Mac but not show up on my GPS. The exception to this is pocket queries, those work just fine. However, this means that whenever I don't use a pocket query I have to disconnect and reconnect my GPS after every cache I download. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks!

I'd suggest downloading them all to your Mac 1st, then connecting the GC to the Mac, open the folder the .gpx files are in, and selecting them all (not including other files besides the .gpx).. and simply copying them to the "magellan/geocaches folder. (NEVER Cut & Paste until you're sure they've been copied.) I've tried saving multiple .gpx files to mine, and it's read them no problem, but takes forever to load all of them. the more logical, is combining all of the individual .gpx files into one. Can't remember if EasyGPS has a version for the Mac, or not? It used to have a "Combine GPX Files" function, that's now called "Import Geocaches", which does the same, allowing you to select all .gpx files, and re-save them as a single file.

Hope this is of some help? Stephen (gelfling6)

Hi,

I'd suggest downloading them all to your Mac 1st, then connecting the GC to the Mac, open the folder the .gpx files are in, and selecting them all (not including other files besides the .gpx).. and simply copying them to the "magellan/geocaches folder. (NEVER Cut & Paste until you're sure they've been copied.) I've tried saving multiple .gpx files to mine, and it's read them no problem, but takes forever to load all of them. the more logical, is combining all of the individual .gpx files into one. Can't remember if EasyGPS has a version for the Mac, or not? It used to have a "Combine GPX Files" function, that's now called "Import Geocaches", which does the same, allowing you to select all .gpx files, and re-save them as a single file.

Hope this is of some help? Stephen (gelfling6)

I saw this when it was first posted and didn't reply because I'm not a Mac person. g6 nailed it. All the "Send to GPS" function does is copy a one-cache GPX file to you GPS. Use the "GPX File" function to create all the files you need and copy them to the GPS yourself.

This is a good work around. It would still annoy me if my computer and GPS weren't getting along with each other. I can't help you there,

I saw this when it was first posted and didn't reply because I'm not a Mac person. g6 nailed it. All the "Send to GPS" function does is copy a one-cache GPX file to you GPS. Use the "GPX File" function to create all the files you need and copy them to the GPS yourself.

This is a good work around. It would still annoy me if my computer and GPS weren't getting along with each other. I can't help you there,

Thanks for the Kudos fishgeek. I'm one of those behind the curve computer experimenters whose been lucky to inherit a few Macs from other discarding them. (the best find, was a G4 X-Serve, and the unlocking was a piece of cake for a Linux&Mac nerd.) (Yes, I re-owned it. simple process.) Despite Apple's claim that OS-X is "Not Linux", 'Darwin' is damned close to their old A-UX, and virtually the same as most recent Unix clones, with their OS-# as the X11 interface.

Unfortunately, there is _NO_ version of EasyGPS for the Mac.. I've spotted a few managers, but they're commercial (read not free).

The only reliable program I have been able to find, Albeit shareware (read trial for ???, then limited til you register for $$)

is MacCaching. ( www.maccaching.com ), which looks like a Mac version of GSAK. This might help.

Stephen (gelfling6)