Barbakán Geocoin - first personal geocoin in Hungary

Strombus

I have been dreaming of having my personal geocoin for years. But what should be on it? Finally during the Christmas break I came up with the design with the help of my children. We first tried it out on a pathtag (drawn by Márton24), and then we pulled our courage and resources together, came up with the picture for the back and with the wonderful help of Brittany Lagan from Coins and Pins we created the coin!

100 pieces were made, 60 of the Brown Winter version, 40 of the Mediterranean Winter version. The size is the regular 44.5 mm diameter, 3 mm thick. There is a little 3D design used, for example the rocks under the translucent die are not at the same level, but the surface is nice and smooth.

The theme: a 15th century fortified section of the city wall of Pécs, with my geocacher buddies, the then 4 and 2 year old Márton24 and Bojta.

As I cannot draw well, the design started out with two photos. The one on the front I took many winters ago with the children on it. The backside is based on a picture we found on the internet. I used Photoshop to turn the photos into drawings and then Bojta drew the children there where they were missing on the back. So it is the back and forth view of the same structure and the same children.

When I designed this coin I thought this would be my one and only, so I wanted to make sure it has every feature I like in a coin: it depicts my home town (where my family has been living and walking through these arches since the 17th century), and it shows my children. The coin is trackable and each has a serial number. The tracking code starts with HU, as in Hungary. And it has its own icon.

Now I am already thinking of my second coin. :-) It will be very different. Not so "tourist friendly", but much more personal, still universal. So, if I can get rid of these… But, it is hard to let them go, they are so beautiful. At least for me. But, I hope you like them, too.

20866399_f54d63d7edc6bedfe2fb7c1cd4bac6b6_m.gif20866401_fce203d14bca5ab6b4a892170b4abc94_m.gif

Please send me an e-mail if you would like to buy or trade. Part of my collection that I would like to sell or trade can be checked out here: http://indafoto.hu/strombus/geocoin

Edited by Strombus

Can you post a picture?

I am trying hard. <_< How on earth do I post a picture? It always says that the extension of the picture is not acceptable, so I finally just posted the links. I tried jpg and gif. What should it be? What do I do wrong? I could not even figure out how to delete my post. It is embarrassing that I am so incompetent in this forum.

Edited by Strombus

Best way for your to do it IMO is since you have pictures up on the other site is to just open the picture, right click on it and hit "copy image url"... that will then copy the URL of that picture to your clipboard.. then when you are creating the post hit the add image button, paste the url in and it should work (here they are below)

20866399_f54d63d7edc6bedfe2fb7c1cd4bac6b6_m.gif20866401_fce203d14bca5ab6b4a892170b4abc94_m.gif

Best way for your to do it IMO is since you have pictures up on the other site is to just open the picture, right click on it and hit "copy image url"... that will then copy the URL of that picture to your clipboard.. then when you are creating the post hit the add image button, paste the url in and it should work (here they are below)

Dear Decer, I did it! Thank you very much. I figured it must be something trivial. That is why I felt really stupid. Thank you for not letting me feel that way for too long. <_<