what do you wear?

4CAN2

The answers will also depend on the time of the year and the time of the day, along with how many time I'm going to spend outdoors, the terrain and the way I'm going to get there (walking? driving?)

Once upon a time my geocaching day ended at a height of about 3,000 meters above the sea level. I was standing on a snow track, looking at all that rocks around me and a glacier I was walking directly to, in a fancy "office" boots with a suitcase in my hand, thinking "what the hell I'm doing here?"

For anything that's not in a parking lot- long pants that can take a beating. Jeans, hiking pants or similar to protect from bugs and scratches. Shoes or boots, no sandals for the same reason. Winter- a jacket I wouldn't mind getting dirty, for the summer- merino shirt. It's like under armour but natural material. I'll also have biking gloves, or something similar if I'm reaching somewhere that May have animals or something that can cut me. Sunglasses as needed in both summer and winter. And always a hat. Winter wil be the same except warmer clothes. I also would wear my cowboy boots to help protect from snakebites- hiking boots would work just as well.

I like 5.11 cargo pants, Merril Gore-tex boots and a quality shirt......

Good waterproof boots are the most critical here in Michigan.....I have tried boots that say "waterproof" and they aren't waterproof most of the time...Pay the extra dollars and stick with Gore-tex...

I always wear long pants to help battle Ticks, Mosquitos and Poison Ivy.....

I like 5.11 cargo pants, Merril Gore-tex boots and a quality shirt......

Good waterproof boots are the most critical here in Michigan.....I have tried boots that say "waterproof" and they aren't waterproof most of the time...Pay the extra dollars and stick with Gore-tex...

I always wear long pants to help battle Ticks, Mosquitos and Poison Ivy.....

+1 for the 5.11 cargo pants....I call them my "caching pants" ☺️ I wear blue 5.11's every day at work, I have a khaki pair for other pursuits, primarily geocaching.

Every once in a while I forget why I always wear long pants for caching, and go out in shorts because it's really hot. When I come home with my legs all scratched up and bleeding from briars and thorns, I remember and wear long pants next time 😳. Even if it's hot.

Other than that, hiking shoes or boots (definitely won't go caching in sandals), and a T-shirt, and usually a hat of some kind....my Tilley or a cheap army surplus boonie if I'm going to be out walking a lot, or just a baseball cap if I'm riding in the Jeep with the top down like yesterday. One of my older jackets if it's cold (rarely gets below freezing here in south Louisiana).

I don't get a "day of caching". Ever. I have a full-time job and a family (wife and two young children)...so I don't ever get a whole day to myself to do this. Not a complaint by any means...just clarifying.

When I DO get time to cache, it's usually on a lunch break from work (or when I'm out around town for meetings or site visits, etc.) or a couple hours here and there when I happen to have time by myself. During work hours, I wear slacks and a button-up shirt with a collar (no ties). Otherwise, just the usual weather-appropriate casual attire...jeans or shorts, t-shirt or long-sleeved tee.

In the cooler months, I mostly wear BDU pants if I'm out on the trail. Love them. They can be somewhat warm/cool, are slightly water resistant, dry quickly, and I don't worry about getting them dirty or scuffed.

Otherwise, I just wear summer type clothes - shorts and t-shirt.

I wear convertable, nylon pants from REI - fairly tough, dries quickly and I can adjust for the temp (or the occasional stream crossing). For shirts it either a nylon long-sleeve shirt (for similar reasons above), or a tech-tee (less sweat build up) in warmer weather. Footwear depends on conditions - if I'm carrying my pack (60+ pounds for conditioning) it boots (ankle support), if not it either trail-running shoes or Teva's (which make those occasional stream crossings easy, but are murder in nettle fields which are common here). I also use trek poles, which I have the GPSr mounted on one, for balance when "loaded", helps with those stream crossing, gives me a probe for the cache, and helps beat down those darn nettles.

It depends on what I happen to be doing when I find a cache. Yesterday I was kayaking in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. The other day I was hiking with boots, long trail pants, and a very light overshirt. A Tilleys hat often completes the ensemble but that gets replaced with a bike helmet should I be riding on a trail. I have cached in a suit and tie, but I avoid wearing those unless I have to be in court.

My t-shirts range from Polygamy Porter to Simon Whitlock shirts - generally caching shirts stay in the drawer unless they will be covered with a jacket or other layers. I have never worn anything designed to make me look like simething other than what I am, so caching costumes like bright vests or hard hats are out. My style tends towards the aging hippie hiker kind of theme.

I don't get out for "a day of caching" very often either. Usually, I do just a little geocaching as part of something else. But...

On the most recent "day of caching" (only 5 hours, but a new "best day" of 28 caches for me) I wore my hiking shoes, convertible nylon hiking pants, a long-sleeve T-shirt, and a sun hat. An earlier "best day" was a few hours of mostly P&G caches after an event, and completely unplanned, so I was just wearing everyday clothes. An earlier "best day" before that was a day of geo-kayaking, so I was in trunks, a kayak skirt :) , a synthetic shirt, and a sun hat. An even earlier "best day" before that was hiking, so again I was wearing hiking shoes, hiking pants, a long-sleeve T-shirt, and a sun hat.

I always wear cargo shorts and a T-shirt with a breast pocket. The breast pocket is the most indispensible part for me, because that's where I keep my pen to sign with and a small notepad to sign on so I don't have to keep fishing them out of my pants pockets. And I wear hiking shoes.

Yes, I've been known to get scratched up because of the shorts, but I heal quick. Only one trip to the emergency room to get stitches so far.

And when I say I always wear them, I mean I always wear them: what I wear when I go geocaching is always on no matter what I'm doing, and my geocaching stuff is always in my pockets even when I'm not geocaching. (Except the GPSr, which is too bulky to carry all the time, although even this would be with me if I were smart enough to be allowed to have a smart phone.)

This is what's led me to discover that tweezers, a pen, and a note pad can be quite useful to have with you in real life, too. Who knew?

This winter I've learned to wear two layers of pants. Usually jeans over sweat pants. You become pretty impervious to thorns, which is a good thing. My father got me a wool lined fishing vest which I absolutely loved. It keeps all my geo-related supplies all within easy reach. I only carry a camelback for repair supplies and food/water.

"BC Clothing" cargo pants from Costco; Convertible ones for warm weather, and lined ones in the winter.

Black or grey ones in winter, green ones in the warmer weather (easier to spot ticks on).

For footwear it really depends: could be my Salomon hiking shoes, my winter hiking boots, or as I used on Saturday while walking along a trail after the snow melted, rubber boots.

My wife works for clothing store, so I have quite the selection of short and long-sleeved T-shirts.

Uhhh...Khakis?

Well, she sounds hideous! :laughing:

You might ask this guy. He's been around a long time and knows what works...

My clothing choice depends on what the weather looks like for that day. It's typically shorts and tshirts for most of the year. The most important thing for me is footwear. Comfy tennis shoes or perfect for most every outing.

In the spring, summer and fall I wear cargo hiking shorts. It's probably why my legs look like chop meat by September.

When it gets cooler I go with synthetic hiking pants and in the winter I might add a layer of polypro long underwear beneath the pants. If it's super cold, single digits or lower I have a thick pair of wool army pants I use.

Up top I usually wear a synthetic T-shirt. Polypro or a similar material. I find them to be comfortable on the hottest, or coldest days. Of course if it's really cold I have a few layers on top of my T-shirt.

Edited by briansnat

I always wear decent pants while caching unless I know the area in advance that I am going to. Have my waterproof (ish) orange coat with me just in case, gloves in my pocket, my Australian outback hat (if it rains) and almost always hiking boots. Just never know where I am going to end up with holly, poison oak, nettles, blackberries. So, best case, will not put the coat and hat on so its just a short sleeve shirt and pants in that case.

I don't get a "day of caching". Ever. I have a full-time job and a family (wife and two young children)...so I don't ever get a whole day to myself to do this. Not a complaint by any means...just clarifying.

I don't see this as a valid excuse ;) I go caching with my 2 year old and 4 month old!

So we've covered types of pants, shorts, footwear, Tahitian, even caching in a suit/tux and caching nekkid. Just for the record I wear underwear when I cache. Nothing special, just normal boxers... :laughing:

normal boxers! good to know... my husband went and bought some of those fancy underarmor undies specifically for caching. I'm like really?!

I have never worn anything designed to make me look like simething other than what I am, so caching costumes like bright vests or hard hats are out. My style tends towards the aging hippie hiker kind of theme.

I think this is what I struggle with... I want protection, but I don't want to look like an REI ad because that's so not me...

I've yet to see a snake on the trail, but what would protect me the most? rain boots? hiking boots? I live in a metro area so I'm not crossing rivers and hiking mountains or anything. there's lots of bushwacking to be done here, though.

I mentioned this in another thread earlier today, but yesterday I did a little geocaching in a tux. I knew I should've had my wife take a picture!

There was one cacher in the early days who was a musician in an orchestra and wore a tux for work. He frequently found caches either on his way to or home from work wearing the tux and was back when most caches involved at least a short hike.

Edited by briansnat

normal boxers! good to know... my husband went and bought some of those fancy underarmor undies specifically for caching. I'm like really?!

I had a pair of Merino boxers-similar to underarmour but natural material. I must say very comfy. And they are useful for those that sweat a lot, as it does the same thing as the shirts. It would suck to be all comfy, wearing $1000 worth of outdoor/technical clothing only to be uncomfortable due to a $5 pair of boxers....

I also wear the long underwear in the winter, and merino shirts all the time. The brand is Icebreaker-I love it.

I've yet to see a snake on the trail, but what would protect me the most? rain boots? hiking boots? I live in a metro area so I'm not crossing rivers and hiking mountains or anything. there's lots of bushwacking to be done here, though.

As for snakes-well that depends on where you are. Where I live they are seen by the river, in parks, and in the middle of the street. Not as common as gophers, or seagulls, but their still there. And we have a decent rattlesnake population.

Jeans, hiking pants from REI or similar, or the 5.11's others have mentioned. But those are more for4 brush. A decent pair of hiking boots-something that goes above your ankles. Military/police boots work as well. Something with decent ankle support should provide enough protection. And I'd say something better than $12 walmart special. I personally wear cowboy boots because I have an injury that prevents me from being able to tie my shoes...

I live in florida where it's hot most of the year so I cache in shorts. unless thick brush is invlolved, then I'll save it for a chilly day and wear long pants. so if it's published now I might find it in November.

Snakes are considered normal around here and veteran cachers consider it a bonus to see snakes. Double bonus for seeing an alligator.

I need to wear a baseball cap more often - am forever scratching my bald head on thorns!

Can't imagine wearing shorts on a caching walk, too many nettles. As the weather gets warmer, backpack replaces fleece for carrying swaps / pen / stamp / wallet / car keys.

Sturdy shoes if there's a chance of a tree climb, otherwise am happy walking up to 3 miles just in light boat shoes.

So we've covered types of pants, shorts, footwear, Tahitian, even caching in a suit/tux and caching nekkid. Just for the record I wear underwear when I cache. Nothing special, just normal boxers... :laughing:

I bought some boxers from www.sweatitout.com for caching.....wonderful wicking fabric....you stay dry all day. I liked them so much thats all I wear now ( I get the black ).

Uhhh...Khakis?

My clothing choice depends on what the weather looks like for that day. It's typically shorts and tshirts for most of the year. The most important thing for me is footwear. Comfy tennis shoes or perfect for most every outing.

That's cuz I'ma guy :anibad:

Uhhh...Khakis?

That's cuz I'ma guy :anibad:

For those who don't get the inside joke, here's context (and thanks for doing that -- I laughed, alot):

Winter caching= Water proof boots! Jacket WITH hood, hat preferably a silly one like (cat,monster,dog) anything with long sides to cover my ears and makes me smile, jeans or sweat pants(yes it is sexy shut up I look fantastic)gloves with the fingers cut off but they turn into mittens when your not trying to get into caches Chap-stick and lotion( cause cold=dry skin )Geo Backpack (white pink and black polksdots that's right ima hottie when caching)

Summer caching= Water Proof Boots (I have flip flops in my bag)! Hat (to keep ticks and spiders out of my hair) tank top, shorts under sweats ( because ticks sketters and thorns and cacti love me but I don't love them ) Chap stick lotion and LOTS LOTS LOTS of bug spray. Geo Backpack (ready with flip flops)

I'm surprised at the tone of the comments. When I ask someone what they're wearing they get creeped out and I get some heated responses. :lol: :lol:

What my wife and I wear depends on what we're doing. And since it's "we" and my health issues, that dictates the types of caches we go after. She still works and other time suckers keep us from getting out often or to far away caches. The top of a mountain 3 miles from the nearest road ain't happening. So many caches are in or close to non-rural areas with not a lot of bushwhacking. For those clothing is simple street wear appropriate to the season and her in sandals often. If we're out in a more rural area it's still likely to have a trail and we're in walking shoes and I'm in long pants while she's often in shorts. Guess who gets to go off trail to find the cache. Long pants are good for the occasional poison ivy plant not noticed but I never really found them more than a minor help for protection from thorns but I still wear them in rural areas.

As for snakes, you can get snake chaps and snake boots. A tall hiking book may offer some protection as well but not a bit of help reaching into a hole in a tree and finding a snake in there. Somebody has pictures of a copperhead bite he got when doing so and has posted a few times. I find my cane or a hiking staff I fixed with a hook at the top useful to deal with that issue. I don't reach into places I can't see into and I tend to watch where I put my feet. I've found too many snakes. I remember in my college days opening the door of the trailer I was renting on Easter Sunday and a found good sized rattlesnake sunning himself on the concrete steps. I also once stepped out of my house onto the porch and happened to look down to see I had stepped over a copperhead. Both outside of town but I remember cutting grass with a small tractor at the Catholic church in town -- I started to get off to replace a belt that had slipped off when a copperhead came out from under the cutting deck. Basically, watching what you're doing will do more for protecting you from snakes than any type of clothing. That and don't play with or try to kill them as that's how most snake bites occur. And remember that most snakes are not venomous -- but a bite from a non-venomous snake still stings a right smart.

I'm surprised at the tone of the comments. When I ask someone what they're wearing they get creeped out and I get some heated responses. :lol: :lol:

I know, every time I see the topic title in the list my hackles rise a bit. "What do you mean - what am I wearing?!?" Then I laugh and tell myself that they're just talking about caching, it's ok. I think. :ph34r::anicute:

Edited by Ambrosia

I know, every time I see the topic title in the list my hackles rise a bit. "What do you mean - what am I wearing?!?" Then I laugh and tell myself that they're just talking about caching, it's ok. I think. :ph34r::anicute:

:-) i wear a hideously-coloured tropical shirt (see other thread about what old folks in caching) and jeans.