So how would this be for a cache container..

Psychaesthetic

https://psychaesthetic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/image7.jpg

I was thinking about starting a few non-maintained nano-caches, with just a pencil, sharpener and as much paper as will fit. Maybe I can print-up strips with the logo on em and roll & stuff em in. They're only $2 at a local camping store, and probably even less online if I can find them.

I figure being so small they'll be good and hard to find, all I'd have to do is find public spots to hide em, that'll take longer than anything I should expect.

I was thinking about starting a few non-maintained nano-caches, with just a pencil, sharpener and as much paper as will fit. Maybe I can print-up strips with the logo on em and roll & stuff em in. They're only $2 at a local camping store, and probably even less online if I can find them.

I figure being so small they'll be good and hard to find, all I'd have to do is find public spots to hide em, that'll take longer than anything I should expect.

Sorry...did you just say "non-maintained"?

Probably the most important rule: Don't publish a cache you don't plan on maintaining.

1. That's not a nano.

2. Please don't place any caches you don't plan to maintain. Cache maintenance is a responsibility of ownership.

3. Read #2 again.

Also, read this....

https://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Maybe you should spend a little more time FINDING caches before deciding if you're ready for the responsibility of owning one.

But yeah, when you're ready, that would probably make a fine container.

Edited by Chief301

Wait, you said nonmantained! The rules are you have to maintain them! Otherwise, that sounds like a great idea!

Wait, you said nonmantained! The rules are you have to maintain them! Otherwise, that sounds like a great idea!

dadgum! B)

I'm goin bush in a few months, so can't possibly maintain them beyond thst, and they probably wouldn't need much before i go :(

1. That's not a nano.

2. Please don't place any caches you don't plan to maintain. Cache maintenance is a responsibility of ownership.

3. Read #2 again.

Also, read this....

Maybe you should spend a little more time FINDING caches before deciding if you're ready for the responsibility of owning one.

What is it, if not a nano? A micro-nano? :D

Yeah I should look for more, true ;) I figured since it'd take a while to find hiding spots (I assume the rules say something about the cache *must* be in a public accessible area that's safe to access?), and there're only a half dozen in the neighbourhood, even a few non-maintained extras would be good for a while :(

I'm goin bush in a few months, so can't possibly maintain them beyond thst, and they probably wouldn't need much before i go :(

Very tiny containers tend to require more maintenance than larger. Especially due to the O-rings, which are good for camping with the few matches inside the match tube, no good for ordinary cachers. The o-ring breaks, then at some point later the log sheet is wet & nasty. The o-ring will need to be replaced (I'm assuming there is an o-ring on those), perhaps many times, depending on many factors. You won't know until you place it, but have extra o-rings and plan to be a busy CO (and maybe be pleasantly surprised if it isn't too bad). When a container that was waterproof becomes non-waterproof, there is often no "Needs Maintenance" log until there's a log condition issue.

A "non-maintenance" plan is popular with that kind of container, but not a good plan.

Edited by kunarion

It's a micro.

Containers Explained: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75

Yeah I should look for more, true ;) I figured since it'd take a while to find hiding spots (I assume the rules say something about the cache *must* be in a public accessible area that's safe to access?), and there're only a half dozen in the neighbourhood, even a few non-maintained extras would be good for a while :(

I would think you should at least read the rules.

Geocaching 101: http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

Hiding Your First Geocache: http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Guidelines: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

What is it, if not a nano? A micro-nano?

That's a pretty cool little match tube, seems smaller than the standard. But it I think it would be described as a "Micro" (which is the selection to use when making the cache page, regardless).

I micro, how.. Cute :D

These little chargers/tubes don't actually have O-rings, the thread is fine enough to tighten the lid till it squeaks against the container though, and the lip on both lid and container are very smooth and sqaure to each other. Still, there may be no point of i don't maintain it.

I can just *say* it's maintained, of course B) but finding good hiding spots for even something that small would be hard, I imagine. Has to be hidden well, but not hard to get to, in a safe public area and set securly enough so it doesn't just roll away or get itself inadvertently moved some other way.

Even if i did rego some, scouting an area would be 90% of it. Mm.

1. That's not a nano.

3. Read #2 again.

Also, read this....

"Nano" is not an official size....nanos are technically a very small Micro. Nanos tend to be about the size of a pencil eraser.....much smaller than the container you have pictured.

I'm not sure what you mean by "going bush", but I gather that you won't be around to maintain your cache. You still have a couple of options:

If your departure is still a few months away, you could create the hide for now....caches are meant to have some sort of permanence, as in you should plan on keeping it in play for some length of time. If you're leaving in a couple of weeks, say, don't bother hiding a cache, but if it's in several months you could place the cache and have it in play until its time for you to leave.

When it's time for you to leave, you could archive the cache (retrieving your container from the wild, or course). I don't know how long you plan to be away. If it's for good and you won't be ever returning to the area, archive it. If you're only going away for awhile and plan to return, you could just disable it with an explanation that you will reactivate it upon your return.

Or, if you get to know some of the local cachers in your area, you could ask one of them to take care of minor maintenance needs in your absence (if you plan to return), or adopt out the cache to one of them (if you don't plan to return)

I can just *say* it's maintained, of course

There is no shortage of un-maintained caches. No matter how well-intended, if you don't plan on being around or handing them off to a responsible cache owner, just don't hide and publish them. If it's just the container you want to see out there, give them to someone who will keep up with them. I must say I'm pretty tired of finding caches that are in miserable shape and go to the owner's profile only to see they have a couple dozen finds and haven't logged on in several years. Part of me wishes there was some auto-archive in place that would archive any cache whose owner hasn't logged onto GC.com for maybe 12 months.

There is no shortage of un-maintained caches. No matter how well-intended, if you don't plan on being around or handing them off to a responsible cache owner, just don't hide and publish them. If it's just the container you want to see out there, give them to someone who will keep up with them. I must say I'm pretty tired of finding caches that are in miserable shape and go to the owner's profile only to see they have a couple dozen finds and haven't logged on in several years. Part of me wishes there was some auto-archive in place that would archive any cache whose owner hasn't logged onto GC.com for maybe 12 months.

I seem to recall this has been brought up before. Of course, there are some abandoned caches out there that really deserve to go on.....sometimes a short-term ex-cacher managed to hit one home run of a hide during their brief caching career. I think that maybe after a period of inactivity (a year sounds good to me, too) the cache could be put up for adoption....if there are no takers, then it gets archived.

Edited by Chief301

There is no shortage of un-maintained caches. No matter how well-intended, if you don't plan on being around or handing them off to a responsible cache owner, just don't hide and publish them. If it's just the container you want to see out there, give them to someone who will keep up with them. I must say I'm pretty tired of finding caches that are in miserable shape and go to the owner's profile only to see they have a couple dozen finds and haven't logged on in several years.[bold] Part of me wishes there was some auto-archive in place that would archive any cache whose owner hasn't logged onto GC.com for maybe 12 months.[/bold]

I seem to recall this has been brought up before. Of course, there are some abandoned caches out there that really deserve to go on.....sometimes a short-term ex-cacher managed to hit one home run of a hide during their brief caching career. I think that maybe after a period of inactivity (a year sounds good to me, too) the cache could be put up for adoption....if there are no takers, then it gets archived.

That sounds reasonable.

If it's National Park in NSW (I saw you were planning to go to the Blue Mountains) then you need to get approval from NPWS to place a cache or else it won't be published by the reviewer. See here for more details.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless

If it's National Park in NSW (I saw you were planning to go to the Blue Mountains) then you need to get approval from NPWS to place a cache or else it won't be published by the reviewer. See here for more details.

Cheers,

Geoff aka Tyreless

Nah I wasn't planning to place any in the Mountains. I meant here in Adelaide before I go. But non-maintained could proof a disappointment for future cachers if it gets moved or the like.

https://psychaesthet...4/04/image7.jpg

They're only $2 at a local camping store

What are those things?

Looks like a matchstick tube, covered in black tape.

They're sold as waterproof containers, no brand, no description. Just "waterproof survival container" :mad:

Interesting. They're very similar to what they sell here, but with o rings and matchsticks and and starter inside. They're just a dollar. They're bright orange, so I cover than with camo colored duct tape. I love them.

I've found some at army surplus stores that are already olive green, and have an attachable lid (bonus), but they're more like 2 or 3 dollars and don't have an o ring.

What are those things?

They're sold as waterproof containers, no brand, no description. Just "waterproof survival container" :mad:

Interesting. They're very similar to what they sell here, but with o rings and matchsticks and and starter inside. They're just a dollar. They're bright orange, so I cover than with camo colored duct tape. I love them.

I've found some at army surplus stores that are already olive green, and have an attachable lid (bonus), but they're more like 2 or 3 dollars and don't have an o ring.

Yeah there're probably a dozen different brands of similar tubes online for less than $2, bison tubes probably aren't much more than that either, but I'm not going to plant any caches anyhoo, so it's irrelevent now ;)

What are those things?

Yeah there're probably a dozen different brands of similar tubes online for less than $2, bison tubes probably aren't much more than that either, but I'm not going to plant any caches anyhoo, so it's irrelevent now ;)

Well, someday you'll get back from your walkabout, and you can place something then. :-D

What are those things?

Well, someday you'll get back from your walkabout, and you can place something then. :-D

Maybe I'll get snakebit, or walk off a 1000m cliff-face cos I'm busy watching my GPS screen, and die out there :)

Better that than not give it a bash though! B)

I actually remember staying at the Blue Mountains back when i was 18, and lying down over the edge of an overhang that dropped so far into the valley below the trees (huge 300ft eucalupts) looked like lint from up there, and having this URGE to jump. Strangest feeling.

I wasn't getting that urge based on suicidal whatevers or anything like that, just an urge to FEEL that weightlessness, and a kinda curiosity. Spooky feeling anyway.

Ever since, I've been paranoid I'll throw myself off tall places, and try to avoid them. But most tracks there lead down along sheer cliffs, so i'll have to look at the wall and fight the urge! B)

Edited by Psychaesthetic

What are those things?

Maybe I'll get snakebit, or walk off a 1000m cliff-face cos I'm busy watching my GPS screen, and die out there :)

Better that than not give it a bash though! B)

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."

I actually remember staying at the Blue Mountains back when i was 18, and lying down over the edge of an overhang that dropped so far into the valley below the trees (huge 300ft eucalupts) looked like lint from up there, and having this URGE to jump. Strangest feeling.

I wasn't getting that urge based on suicidal whatevers or anything like that, just an urge to FEEL that weightlessness, and a kinda curiosity. Spooky feeling anyway.

Ever since, I've been paranoid I'll throw myself off tall places, and try to avoid them. But most tracks there lead down along sheer cliffs, so i'll have to look at the wall and fight the urge! B)

I don't usually tell people this, because I'm afraid they'll be weirded out. I do the same exact thing. Every time I'm near a ledge, I get an urge to jump. It's a very weird feeling, unnerving.

I really think it is that I think of possibilities, am afraid of them, so my contrariness makes me want to do them. Does that make sense? :unsure:

Here's a basic google.images page of where I'm going.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=blue+mountains+tourism&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yvdNU5zDEsXXkAXw8IHwDw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=768&bih=928

I won't be using any tour group or transport, guide etc though. Just me and what i can carry-in B)

Edit: Mind you, those photos are all pretty touristy, and there are better, but I couldn't be bothered finding them.

It's a world heritage listed national park, there are plants still in there undiscovered in over 1000-sqare kilometers.

I figured if i'm going to this much effort, for solitude, I might as well do it in the most beautidul place i can think of.

Edited by Psychaesthetic

I don't usually tell people this, because I'm afraid they'll be weirded out. I do the same exact thing. Every time I'm near a ledge, I get an urge to jump. It's a very weird feeling, unnerving.

I really think it is that I think of possibilities, am afraid of them, so my contrariness makes me want to do them. Does that make sense? :unsure:

Well, I don't know how much sense it makes, but I understand the urge :) Scary that the thought even crosses you mind!

It'd be a great feeling too, until the ground ruined the fun, I think it's just *knowing* that nobody can stop you yeah.

I've been to the Blue Mountains twice. The first time, we camped and hiked for three days. The second time, we took it easy and stayed in a cabin for a couple days and did more touristy things (Jenolan Caves, Three Sisters, Katoomba Scenic Railway, etc.).

Gorgeous place!

I've been to the Blue Mountains twice. The first time, we camped and hiked for three days. The second time, we took it easy and stayed in a cabin for a couple days and did more touristy things (Jenolan Caves, Three Sisters, Katoomba Scenic Railway, etc.).

Gorgeous place!

Good good! No need for me to explain it then :)

Not many caches there, but I'll have more pressing issues than caches when I'm there.

Gorgeous place!

Good good! No need for me to explain it then :)

Not many caches there, but I'll have more pressing issues than caches when I'm there.

:)

Well, try to find at least one cache there, hopefully it will be an easier find (the one I found was just at the base of a gum tree, easy peasy). I'm glad that you're taking the time to have this experience. Stay safe, and have fun!

Me 3. I get the urge to jump all the time when I'm near and edge. Like Psychaesthetic, it has nothing to do with suicidal inclinations. I can be having a great day and still the urge is there. Very strange. :unsure:

Me 3. I get the urge to jump all the time when I'm near and edge. Like Psychaesthetic, it has nothing to do with suicidal inclinations. I can be having a great day and still the urge is there. Very strange. :unsure:

Yeah it's a bit un-nerving, because I know i can't do it, but i also know how easily I can, and how bird-like it'd be and free :)

Thinking about jumping: this is a well known phenomenon and even may be - if relevant enough to disturb a significant portion of your daily life - a diagnosible sickness (within the obsessive-compulsive disorder field, diagnostic classifications exist). If relevant, but you feel it enhances your life, rather than disturbing, it may lead to a career in extreme sports, some medals in military or becoming a hero. If relevant, but not only disturbing your life but ending it, it's called suicide - at least afterwards (if doing it at the right place and the right time you still can get a medal).

A lot of professions earn their money and/or base their job existence out of that state of mind: i.e. psychologists, psychiatrists, search and rescue, paramedics & emergency room staff, law enforcement officers, journalists and undertakers. Not to forget: lawyers.

You're not alone...have fun! :)

Edited by Ben0w

Thinking about jumping: this is a well known phenomenon and even may be - if relevant enough to disturb a significant portion of your daily life - a diagnosible sickness (within the obsessive-compulsive disorder field, diagnostic classifications exist). If relevant, but you feel it enhances your life, rather than disturbing, it may lead to a career in extreme sports, some medals in military or becoming a hero. If relevant, but not only disturbing your life but ending it, it's called suicide - at least afterwards (if doing it at the right place and the right time you still can get a medal).

A lot of professions earn their money and/or base their job existence out of that state of mind: i.e. psychologists, psychiatrists, search and rescue, paramedics & emergency room staff, law enforcement officers, journalists and undertakers. Not to forget: lawyers.

You're not alone...have fun! :)

Ooh well I would say it falls into the obsessive-compulsive-non-hero classification for me, since I don't exactly love heights, though that because of the "urge" and I don't completely trust my control of motor-function, or, rather, I don't trust that my subconcious won't make me subconsciously do it.

Maybe we really evolved from Lemmings?

Edited by Psychaesthetic

If there's no classification, there's no sickness. :)

As long as it doesn't affect your daily life (at least once especially in case of the suicide part of my answer), there is no severe diagnose and within the perfect normal range of human beeing (which generally is a very wide range). There are a lot of people having this and similar feelings.

However, I personally have no idea where this comes from. Most probably a remaining from our reptile brain, always willing to give strange impulses, but surely helping in reproducing. Impulses seem somehow important for mankind, so this maybe just some side-game of the basic instincts in us all.

How did evolution "invent" flying? Maybe some reptile just did the jump and succeed? Soon to see a flying lemming? :)

Kid's, don't try this!

If there's no classification, there's no sickness. :)

As long as it doesn't affect your daily life (at least once especially in case of the suicide part of my answer), there is no severe diagnose and within the perfect normal range of human beeing (which generally is a very wide range). There are a lot of people having this and similar feelings.

However, I personally have no idea where this comes from. Most probably a remaining from our reptile brain, always willing to give strange impulses, but surely helping in reproducing. Impulses seem somehow important for mankind, so this maybe just some side-game of the basic instincts in us all.

How did evolution "invent" flying? Maybe some reptile just did the jump and succeed? Soon to see a flying lemming? :)

Kid's, don't try this!

Hah! Wait, surely that first reptile wouldn't have done well with the whole reproduction thing, certainly not upon meeting the ground? :) .. And if his offspring were given to the same impulses, they wouldn't have lived to maturity to get it on with a she-lizard?

I think that jumping feeling is normal. My dad told me about it when I was a kid and I still get the feeling sometimes. Not for suicide or anything I think it is just a natural feeling. Just make sure not to act on it. I was just walking over the golden gate bridge with my daughter and had the feeling. Thought maybe it was something my dad had put in my head but he had said it was something that happens when you get near the edge like that.

As for the original poster I think you need to just get some of those containers and mail them to me. That will make you feel better. ;)

Well, I don't know how much sense it makes, but I understand the urge :) Scary that the thought even crosses you mind!

It'd be a great feeling too, until the ground ruined the fun, I think it's just *knowing* that nobody can stop you yeah.

Take up BASE jumping and get it out of your system B)

(Oh, BTW, I know a lot of cachers celebrate their milestone cache finds. Indulge me while I celebrate a milestone forum posting....#2,000! :grin: )

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum....

If you're intending to hike in the Blue Mountains it would be worthwhile getting hold of a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) (see link http://www.bwrs.org.au/?q=faq-plb-epirb They can be borrowed from a local police station).

Many hikers have been lost and/or injured in these mountains and a few have died. It is a place where you can easily become disoriented. A GPSr with a 'Backtrack' feature could also be handy.