CITO Events for more than one day?

There is so many wonderful nature places, that do receive high visitor traffic when in season.

Unfortunately not everyone acts according to 'carry in / carry out', meaning you take everything with you, that you brought there. So you can find litter of all type of materials and sizes, tainting the full nature experience, potentially presenting a hazard to wildlife.

Would it be possible to allow the creation of continous CITO Events in Geocaching.com for such places, lasting for several weeks during peak season?

The CITO would request Geocachers to bring the good old trash bag and collect those cans, bottles, cigarette buds, paper, plastic etc..

Logging condition: Send a picture of the trash collected to the CITO event owner.

That could help keeping your favourite beach or hiking trail cleaner.

Any thoughts around that?

I've seen caches placed in littered areas and filled with trash bags. In the days when ALRs were allowed, some of the caches required a photo of you with a full trash bag in order to log it. You can't have ALRs anymore but you might be able to get away with suggesting that anyone interested can take a bag and use it to help tidy up the area around the cache.

Some years back I made little "CITO kits" to leave as a signature item. I printed a small CITO label, attached it to a film canister with clear packing tape and stuffed the canister with a plastic shopping bag.

Edited by briansnat

I know of one CITO, established long ago, that is continuous, and the owner allows one log per month. It exists because it was grandfathered; such CITOs are no longer allowed by Groundspeak.

Most events are intended to be social gatherings of geocachers rather than individuals doing their own things by themselves.

One of the purposes of CITO events, however, is to help instill a year-round "Cache In, Trash Out" ethic among participants. You shouldn't need a smiley to motivate you to pitch in and help clean up while walking by yourself.

Several geocaching organizations and groups have formally adopted areas and do regularly scheduled CITO's at those sites. Perhaps that solution might work for your area?

We visit this lake shore several times a year, and have been asked to start working on another lake on the other side of town too.

6a2fad84-e169-40b7-aa71-8e8b2f36663c.jpg?rnd=0.5726544

I've seen caches placed in littered areas and filled with trash bags. In the days when ALRs were allowed, some of the caches required a photo of you with a full trash bag in order to log it. You can't have ALRs anymore but you might be able to get away with suggesting that anyone interested can take a bag and use it to help tidy up the area around the cache.

Some years back I made little "CITO kits" to leave as a signature item. I printed a small CITO label, attached it to a film canister with clear packing tape and stuffed the canister with a plastic shopping bag.

Unless somebody else was doing that too, there was at least one of those film canisters floating around as of last year. I found one in a cache somewhere in central Jersey. It went to good use, as the area nearby the cache I found it in needed some cleaning up.

As for the thread topic - Maybe you should try to organize a monthly CITO event with your city's cooperation.