Garmin communicator plug in.....

troutscott

I purchased my first Garmin GSMAP 62.

Was tired of dealing with my Lowrance Endura.

So I down load the Garmin communicator plug in and in minutes I have 50 caches loaded for my next outing.

The next time I go to load caches the communicator wont connect.

I deleted and re-installed the communicator twice with same results.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Scott

So I down load the Garmin communicator plug in and in minutes I have 50 caches loaded for my next outing.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Scott

Thanks for the replies- especially to Walts Hunting.

I did a little research and then down loaded and used Google chrome.

Now the plug in for Garmin works every time.

Caution-Be sure to download Google Chrome from official web site.

I downloaded it first from a third party site and that caused a host of issues that took me quite awhile to resolve.

Thanks again!

Scott

P.S. I personally will use Google Chrome just for caching and then use Explorer for browsing etc.

Having exactly the same issue. Set compatibility mode, no resolution. I am a techno fail and don't understand this statement:

"also might want to look into using pqs or a program that has an api interface to avoid having to deal with this at all"

Could someone explain this one to me? Thanks.

Have put in a pocket query for the area I'm going to so that should be fine but would like to get this back in working order.

BAG

I had the same issue with an Oregon 450

IE seems not to like it, so I had a try with FireFox and that worked fine, but I had to actually visit the GC page to upload to device, it wouldnt let me uplaod from the little box that pops up on the main map.

Then I tried it again yesterday and now it does.

Computers can do odd things at times GRRRRRRRR.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Scott

I wish I could help all of the folks who have noted essentially the same problem with a Garmin product / Explorer conflict but I'm in the same boat. Spent all afternoon with my brand new 62S and ended up with no solution. Fortunately this blog is here so that I didn't waste any MORE time than I did. I am new at geocaching. Started out with my iPhone and got off to a good, fun start. Wanted to try to find a better tool to work with. Can someone explain to me why there are so many recommendations to go to other browsers rather than placing the fault with Garmin from where it appears to stem? Why so much acceptance of having to do a workaround here? I am obviously new to this but is Garmin the Microsoft of geocaching?

Edited by toptiger4

<snip>

Can someone explain to me why there are so many recommendations to go to other browsers rather than placing the fault with Garmin from where it appears to stem?

<snip>

I can explain to you that the fault is not Garmin. Garmin units as well as Delorme units (ours) and Magellan are all working fine.

What is occurring right now seems to be a bevy of problems. Some are browser problems, others are website (geocaching.com) problems.

There are reports flooding in from all different directions... in just about all of the topic forums (...and I do mean they are scattered throughout and across a broad spectrum).

Some folks are having map problems; some plug-in problems; yet others with smart phone problems.

Just guessing here... but I am fairly sure that many of the problems are website related. That may or may not also affect the plug-in(s) problem. Oftentimes though, a plug-in problem is usually browser initiated -- something that Groundspeak or geocaching.com has no control over, or the GPSr manufacturers.

It all happened rather quickly. Indicative of something having broken.

For Premium Members -- Pocket Queries still function normally. You probably will not be able to use the map to generate a PQ, though.

If you know the area for your PQ, you can use coordinates as a centroid and run a PQ. The caches in that area will still download in the typical GPX file format. You can load those GPX files to your GPSr and the maps will display correctly as will the geocaches.

Do so directly from computer to GPSr, NOT through a browser or plug-in.

If you are not a Premium Member or use Pocket Queries... you may simply have to wait-out a fix. It is unlikely that a fix would occur over the weekend (overtime pay, etc.). "Send to GPS" will probably remain dysfunctional until a fix is accomplished, as it is website based and requires the use of a browser.

<snip>

Can someone explain to me why there are so many recommendations to go to other browsers rather than placing the fault with Garmin from where it appears to stem?

<snip>

I can explain to you that the fault is not Garmin. Garmin units as well as Delorme units (ours) and Magellan are all working fine.

What is occurring right now seems to be a bevy of problems. Some are browser problems, others are website (geocaching.com) problems.

There are reports flooding in from all different directions... in just about all of the topic forums (...and I do mean they are scattered throughout and across a broad spectrum).

Some folks are having map problems; some plug-in problems; yet others with smart phone problems.

Just guessing here... but I am fairly sure that many of the problems are website related. That may or may not also affect the plug-in(s) problem. Oftentimes though, a plug-in problem is usually browser initiated -- something that Groundspeak or geocaching.com has no control over, or the GPSr manufacturers.

For Premium Members -- Pocket Queries still function normally. You probably will not be able to use the map to generate a PQ, though.

If you know the area for your PQ, you can use coordinates as a centroid and run a PQ. The caches in that area will still download in the typical GPX file format. You can load those GPX files to your GPSr and the maps will display correctly as will the geocaches.

If you are not a Premium Member or use Pocket Queries... you may simply have to wait-out a fix. It is unlikely that a fix would occur over the weekend (overtime pay, etc.). "Send to GPS" will probably remain dysfunctional until a fix is accomplished, as it is website based and requires the use of a browser.

<snip>

<snip>

Thanks very much. I guess I'm starting off at a rocky time but I'll have faith that these problems will be fixed. :D I'd like to pose one more question if I may. I'm so new to all of this that I don't know what the shortest path is from my PC to my GPS. "Do so directly from computer to GPSr, NOT through a browser or plug-in.", sounds good but I don't know exactly how to do what you are suggesting. What application should I use to access my PC when I am loading these data? And how do I "address" the data to my GPS? Well, I've got to start somewhere. :(

Thanks very much. I guess I'm starting off at a rocky time but I'll have faith that these problems will be fixed. :D I'd like to pose one more question if I may. I'm so new to all of this that I don't know what the shortest path is from my PC to my GPS. "Do so directly from computer to GPSr, NOT through a browser or plug-in.", sounds good but I don't know exactly how to do what you are suggesting. What application should I use to access my PC when I am loading these data? And how do I "address" the data to my GPS? Well, I've got to start somewhere. :(

As a Premium Member.

Click GPX file and save to your desktop (can add to a folder).

Then Drag n Drop (copy) the file/files to the GPX folder on the GPS.

Or. Run a Pocket Query to get multiple caches in one GPX file.

This site may help further >

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/paperless.html#gotinfo

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Fair question.

The link provided by Bear and Ragged has a pretty darn good tutorial.

I like the "Creating Your First Pocket Query" in the GS Help Center: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

It provides "by-the-number" steps to creating a Pocket Query. Pay attention to step #6 and the associated asterisk. It tells you how to do "practice" queries using only the preview of projected results w/o burning up your 5/day limit.

To load your device directly from the computer:

•  
  • Download and unzip the PQ data (if zipped) >
  • Plug your device to the computer and turn it on >
  • Access your device through the computer (as a "removable storage device" or an auxiliary drive) >
  • Click, drag and drop the downloaded PQ files (there should be two of them, unzipped) to the unit >
  • If your computer allows it, "eject" the device (right-click on a PC -- I dunno about Mac) >
  • Turn off the device and unplug it from the computer >
  • Go Geocaching.

Using a Garmin unit, you should drag 'n drop the files to Garmin/GPX/ folder in your unit or on your SD card (or something similar -- we don't use a Garmin).

Thanks for the replies- especially to Walts Hunting.

I did a little research and then down loaded and used Google chrome.

Now the plug in for Garmin works every time.

Caution-Be sure to download Google Chrome from official web site.

I downloaded it first from a third party site and that caused a host of issues that took me quite awhile to resolve.

Thanks again!

Scott

P.S. I personally will use Google Chrome just for caching and then use Explorer for browsing etc.