MaSource vs Basecamp

Thanks.

One of our field offices is swapping out a very old PC with a newer one, and MapSource is no longer on our "approved" software list. The end user is concerned because, well, MapSource is what he knows how to use. If speed is the biggest difference then he shouldn't worry - his new machine is much faster than the creaky old one being replaced.

All he's doing is exchanging waypoint and track data anyhow, with a Garmin GPS 60cx, at least he's using the USB port :D

Edited by user13371

Sadly, choice is not an option at this end. Company machine with company guidelines about what end users can and cannot have. Can make a business case for exceptions sometimes along the lines of "required functionality not available in other software" but "I don't like it" isn't a valid business case.

The only way we'd get this one a waiver would be if he had to use a serial-port-only GPS. But he IS using the USB connection on his 60cx.

As I mentioned earlier, MapSource is off the list because of our organization's peculiar software approval rules. What this field office computer will get instead:

- Basecamp

- Google Earth

- DNR Garmin ( http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html )

... to use with an older Garmin GPSMAP 60cx.

Thanks for everybody's opinions!

Edited by user13371

Basecamp works just fine. At least on a mac. I find it to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm not sure why everyone else is "having problems."

Example: Very easy to get MapSource to produce a map where each waypoint has its waypoint name displayed (e.g., from the exported GSAK GPX, the GC codes for geocaches). I have NEVER been able to get Basecamp to show GC codes next to each cache. Instead, it insists on using the full cache name from the GPX file, and I find on way of changing that. Annoying, unless that's what you want. Edited by ecanderson

Yeah, Basecamp's default is to show the name. You can get it to show the ID by right clicking on a geocache (or a bunch of geocaches) and selecting "show symbol and ID." I haven't found anything in the preferences to make that the default display. Is there a reason you prefer the GC codes over the names?

Yeah, Basecamp's default is to show the name. You can get it to show the ID by right clicking on a geocache (or a bunch of geocaches) and selecting "show symbol and ID." I haven't found anything in the preferences to make that the default display. Is there a reason you prefer the GC codes over the names?

I prefer the GC code myself, for a simple reason: Full, long cache names make a mess out of the map display. The cache names overlap, and I have to zoom in farther than I want to in order to differentiate the caches. I don't need all that clutter, especially when cache names can be 20 or 30 characters long.

--Larry

Among other things -- what Larry said. Too much text on the screen. Besides, when I'm doing a serious run, there's a sequential list, and it's by GC code for the same reason. As to the speed of Basecamp, try selecting 4500 caches and trying to switch to GC code. You quickly find another 'slow' part of its operation.

Anyway, for a typical planning session, MapSource is a lot faster. I had grand plans of using Birdseye and Basecamp, but find that the aerial stuff that is pulled up by GSAK is cleaner.

Basecamp was never designed to be a geocache manager. It's a trip and waypoint manager, and for that, its functionality is just fine. It's easy to create waypoints, create routes, draw tracks, edit tracks, and transfer data to/from the GPS. I used Mapsource just under a decade ago, so when I first installed Basecamp, the functionality was almost identical. Perhaps Mapsource has changed since then.

Now, if you're using geocaches as waypoints in a route, I can understand your frustration. But then, my bigger beef with using geocaches as part of a route is that the GPS doesn't let you log the geocache unless you specifically "go to" it, thus taking you out of your route.

Basecamp was never designed to be a geocache manager.

This is what irritates me about Garmin discontinuing development of Mapsource. I used that program for several years as a geocache manager, until Garmin dropped it and introduced Basecamp. Mapsource was quick, clean, no muss, no fuss and did what I needed it to do. As far as I'm concerned, Basecamp is mostly bloatware.

Since, as you state, Basecamp wasn't designed to be a geocache manager, Garmin has basically dropped support for geocache management completely

I don't need a Garmin trip and waypoint manager, I have Street Atlas USA plus other programs that do that for me, and a whole lot more intuitively.

I have to assume that Garmin is now unwilling to develop anything that actually works as a geocache manager. Which makes me grateful for GSAK.

--Larry

@Larry

GSAK has always been a superior "geocache manager". However, it doesn't support the importation of routable maps and routing itineraries the way Mapsource does. So the two together make a nice pair. The ability to easily route an all-day run is quite nice. Then I can copy the resulting list of GC codes from Mapsource (using CTRL-C - it works!), paste them into an Excel spreadsheet, then add notes about access, parking, etc. Sounds tedious, but it's actually very quick.

@Larry

GSAK has always been a superior "geocache manager". However, it doesn't support the importation of routable maps and routing itineraries the way Mapsource does. So the two together make a nice pair. The ability to easily route an all-day run is quite nice. Then I can copy the resulting list of GC codes from Mapsource (using CTRL-C - it works!), paste them into an Excel spreadsheet, then add notes about access, parking, etc. Sounds tedious, but it's actually very quick.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that the next time I'm planning for a major outing.

For the type of planning I do, I see no need for BaseCamp at all, and your suggestion reinforces that. The only reason I installed it on my PCs is for the MapInstall component, which as far as I know is required for selecting and loading Garmin map products on my GPS unit.

Anyone know whether it's possible to uninstall BaseCamp and keep just MapInstall?

--Larry

I just took a look at Windows 7's Programs and Features control panel. BaseCamp is listed, but MapInstall isn't listed separately. Based on that, anyway, there's no straightforward way to remove BaseCamp without also losing MapInstall.

Phooey. Guess I'm stuck with all 85MB BaseCamp takes up on my hard drive.

--Larry

Glad to help. But "bloated hard drive?" When terabyte sized hard drives are cheaper than any new GPS*, why would the 85MB size of Basecamp be an issue?

* one example - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PUEPK/

Actually, my C: drive is currently at only about 15% capacity. I define bloatware as software that takes up far too much space on my hard drive compared to the functionality it provides. As far as I'm concerned BaseCamp is far too large (in MB) for what it does. Bang for the buck and all that.

--Larry

I define bloatware as software that takes up far too much space on my hard drive compared to the functionality it provides
Then I recommend gpsbabel very highly, command-line versoin without the even the GUI component :D

My intent is to view cache locations on a map. And I think you know that. dry.gif

If and when GPSBabel does mapping, I'll definitely look at it.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Yes, I was teasing. But you COULD do the import with gpsbabel and still have a wealth of other choices for viewing your data on a map. Basecamp, MapSource, Google Earth, etc.

The subject was BaseCamp.

I can already do all of the same things BaseCamp offers, and more, with a couple of programs that take up far less hard drive space combined than BaseCamp, and are all a lot more straightforward to use. My combination of GSAK, MapSource, and occasionally GPSBabel (which I do indeed use) works well and takes up far less hard drive space. I also use Google Earth, which is infinitely more intuitive to use than BaseCamp will probably ever be.

--Larry

... The subject was BaseCamp. ...

Actually, the ORIGINAL subject was compatibility. I started this thread and should have been more specific.

At the beginning I should have framed the question if there was any REQUIREMENT, compatibility reasons, to use MapSource in lieu of Basecamp. The answer to THAT question is really "just if you have a serial-port, no USB model."

Natural drift took it into a disucssion of why someone might like one program ober the other.

Edited by user13371

Odd.. I have no problem with using MapSource with any of the USB Garmins I have. (Vista-HCx, even my NuVi-40 car unit.)

I have 6 different map layers I put into a map file, which includes Ibycus-USA, MM-Trails-OSM, My Trails (from GPS File Depot), The New England section of OSM World Routable, Topo-100K (New England section), and trail100 (also from GPS File Depot) all selected through MapSource, and put onto Micro-SD's for both the eTrex Vista-HCX, and the NuVi-40, (which on those units WILL show all layers, unlike both MapSource and BaseCamp which will only show one of those maps at at a time.)

Both MapSource And BaseCamp will work with either USB or RS-232 garmins. They still use the same device I/O DLL. (Driver) Both will check to see which device you have connected (either scan USB devices, OR query via serial for what's connected.)

Odd.. I have no problem with using MapSource with any of the USB Garmins I have.

Nothing odd about that - the question was originally if BaseCamp would work.

Both MapSource And BaseCamp will work with either USB or RS-232 garmins.

Hey, I only know what I read in the funny pages, but Garmin disagrees with you on that regarding BaseCamp for older models

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Be69a0b50-e2b4-11df-73e5-000000000000%7D

Which is academic for my purposes, none of those older models are a concern at the office I'm supporting. All kinds of rules of what we can and cannot install, so I just had to make sure the "allowed" software (Basecamp) would work with the device they had (Garmin 60cx on USB) - otherwise help them put together a request for a different package or exception to the rules.