"Illegal" caches in Minnesota

15Tango

While looking for some caches to find on sunday, I came across a log in a kingboreas cache (Locke County Park Too, GC295F) from a "Park Manager" stating that the cache was removed as caching isn't allowed in Anoka County Parks. I emailed kingboreas, and he hasn't heard whether or not "Park Manager" is legit or not. Has anybody else heard about this? Are there any state, county, regional, city, etc. parks that are off-limits in Minnesota (with the exception of Voyaguers N.P. and Isle Royale N.P., which everyone should know are off limits since they are National Parks)? Thanks for any info anybody adds to this forum. 15T

www.1800goguard.com

Hi 15t, I too am waiting to hear what's happening with this park manager issue. I have one cache in an Anoka County park. I have been in contact with the king and am also under the impression that this might be someone not so official! The cache that was in the Coon Rapids Dam has been archieved, kind of because of this park manager guy, but also because the 3 Rivers Park may have a off-trail restriction. KO_DAT_VEY was the owner of that cache and is looking into doing something different there.

I have also been in touch with the king, and I agree that "park manager" is probably a troll. But if he or she is legit, I have a few issues I'd like to vent--Geocaching is basically a no environmental impact sport. Of all the caches I've been to and those I plan to go to, there is at most one or two log-ins a week, if that. Sure, a cache in a popular area might get visited 5 or 6 times on a nice weekend, but it still averages out to less than 1 or 2 visits a week. In most parks I've been to, that is less than the amount of non-cachers that leave a trail to observe flora or fauna, relieve themselves, relieve their pets, etc. I also feel that most cachers are envronmentally aware--I for one follow the ethics of "Leave No Trace". If park managers take issues with the cache itself, some things to keep in mind is that no digging to bury caches is allowed, and the cache is by nature unobtrusive--it would defeat the whole purpose of the sport to hang an ammo can from a branch in the only tree in an urban park. I would think that parks would welcome geocaching--their funding comes from visitorship, and even though the geocaching population is small, it still brings visitors to a park that they would not normally go to, and once they discover the place, they are more likely to consider it for non-caching activities. Well, I could go on for quite a while on the subject, but I think I've made my point. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

15t, excellent points in your post. Now we as a Minnesota group need to get that into a form that we can get into the various park managements hands. They have been hit with all the negative and now we have to show them the positive, as you have noted. JK

Hi,

As a manager of a park that contains a cache, I'd like to offer a bit of advice to you cacher's out there. I'm not from one of the parks discussed, but I have heard some concerns raised by other park managers. When I found out that there was a cache in the park I manage my first instinct was to be quite suspicious and concerned. I now have no difficulty and have enjoyed reading the comments from folks that have visited the cache, but the cache-maker should have checked with me first (as your guidelines state) and sought my guidance as to appropriateness and location. Many parks do have rules they must enforce and sensitive areas they must protect (You'd be amazed how many folks come to us and suggest an activity that they feel should be an exception!). Any park manager wants to be aware of all activities taking place within their park and will naturally become suspicious if they are "the last to know." Keep in mind that the park manager also must consider potential harm, especially from a fast-growing sport in a urban/suburban area. As your sport continues to grow, this will likely be THE most significant growing pain issue you will have to resolve. In short, just ASK!

Just some thoughts...

JB

Thanks rbnc, it's nice to hear some honest thoughts from somebody who's actually in the business. I guess most of us go by the "It's easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission" school of thought when it comes to placing caches--I for one will start asking permission from park management when I place a cache in an area that is iffy. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by kleiner:

...the 3 Rivers Park may have a off-trail restriction.

Hennepin/Three Rivers does have an off-trail restriction, though it's not published very well. I've been to a few "Walk on the Wild Side" programs where you go off-trail with a naturalist to see things that are normally not available to the park visitor. However, most of the "off-trail" trails we travelled looked very well used.

-Craig from TeamCNJC

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12535

Many thanks to JB the park manager. The above cache was place with the assistance of the city parks and rec. dept. of Crestwood, Mo. When a member (RGS) of our group approched the city, they were thrilled and they are now hosting (with the assistance of RGS) the cache! I did the course this morning and it is a hoot.

Glenn

st. louis, Mo

Our WebPage! http://www.freelists.org/webpage/geocaching

Mail List & Archive Info.

http://www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching

Environmental msg. of the day, "Save the spotted Cow"

quote:
Hennepin/Three Rivers does have an off-trail restriction, though it's not published very well. I've been to a few "Walk on the Wild Side" programs where you go off-trail with a naturalist to see things that are normally not available to the park visitor. However, most of the "off-trail" trails we travelled looked very well used.

Is that in all Hennepin/Three Rivers parks? I know they have different restrictions for different parks with regards to other activities--i.e. there is one park with year-round mountain biking, and another with mountain biking from only august through november. I know there are a ton of caches in Hyland Park, and I even went to an orienteering workshop at Hyland earlier this spring where there were a ton of people trooping across the muddy countryside. Also of interest--about a week or so ago, there was an article in the Variety section of the Strib on GPS, complete with a full color picture of cachers in Baker, which I believe is part of the Hennepin/Three Rivers system. I know it doesn't give blanket endorsement of geocaching across the entire park system, and one should inquire at each individual park headquarters before placing caches in areas that might be iffy. Also, is the off trail restriction there to protect the habitat, or is it there to protect us from all those @#$%$%&* sticker bushes that grow all over the place!!!!????? happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by mwmm15T:

Is that in all Hennepin/Three Rivers parks? I know they have different restrictions for different parks with regards to other activities--...

Hmm, good question. The "off-trail" event that I went to was in Elm Creek - a park "reserve." But then again, so are Baker and Hyland. Bryant, Cleary, Fish Lake, etc. are "regional parks."

The park system does have a regulation that states:

"Section 14 - Hiking

It shall be unlawful for any person to:

Hike in a park except in recreation and nature center use areas, and on designated trails and roadways, unless authorized by special use permit."

FWIW,

Craig from TeamCNJC

I emailed Hennepin/Three Rivers parks, and this is their position on geocaching--

quote:
Hi, Matt,

Geocaching is currently being studied by Three Rivers Park District

staff to

see if it is possible to accommodate (or perhaps even promote) this

activity

in the parks, in a way that is consistent with our mission of

environmental

stewardship. It is not as simple a decision as it may appear, because

any

activity of this type has the potential for both negative and positive

impacts on the parks. We are aware that geocaching activity is

happening in

the parks, and we hope to develop a policy within the next few months.

At this time, the Park District has no official policy about this

sport.

Please note, however, that our Ordinance and rules specifically

prohibit

such things as going off of the established trails or disturbing any

natural

feature in the park. You may want to read the complete Ordinance,

which is

available on our web site, www.hennepinparks.org.

Beth Nash

Park Guest Services Supervisor

bnash@hennepinparks.org

763/559-6707

I suppose we can do what we can to make the policy they come up with favorable for geocaching. I'm planning on bagging a few caches in Hyland Park in the next couple of days, and I plan to carry a garbage bag or three to pick up any litter. Or, more rather, I'm going to go to pick up litter, and if I happen to find any caches, I'm going to sign the logbook, trade trinkets if there's anything interesting, etc. Since spring is here, there might be a volunteer spring clean-up in some of the parks, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to participate in those, and also advertize that we're geocachers. 15T

www.1800goguard.com

The Minnesota DNR Scientific and Natural Areas (SNA's) are off-limits. We had placed several caches in a couple of SNA's and they started disappearing. We got a log posting from someone called 'game warden', but he gave us his name and phone number. We contacted him and after he understood that we weren't belligerent, he drove over our cache items. He also gave me the name and number of the head of the DNR SNA program. I talked to the head of the program for awhile about options such as virtual caches - he is knowledgeable in Geocaching - but he was pretty strongly against the traffic. He said SNA's really were not meant for recreation, but study. He was reasonable, but firm.

SNA's are kind of a given. Unlike WMA's, SNA's are federal land (much like WPA's, so don't place there either) and are not typically intended to recieve traffic of any variety, it would seem. I've assumed the breakdown to be:

SNA (Scientific Nature Area) no tresspass, no hunting. Keep off unless permitted.

WPA (Waterfowl Production Area) Open to public foot and cycle traffic. No motorized vehicles, non lead shot allowed for hunting. No overnight use.

WMA (Wildlife Management Area) Open to public foot and cycle traffic. No motorized Vehicles accept in designated parking areas and on approved roads. Trucks and autos only. No overnight use. Lead shot legal for hunting, for now......

I think this is all accurate, but double check before acting on this info.

boo2.jpg

I just got an email from the Assistant Park Manager at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park informing me that geocaching is no longer legal in Minnesota State Parks as of April 1. The letter is very nice and he is holding the cache at the park office for us to pick up. It was placed on 9/8/2001. icon_frown.gifTrout Trot

Brenna

Bump On A Log

I just got an email from the Assistant Park Manager at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park informing me that geocaching is no longer legal in Minnesota State Parks as of April 1. The letter is very nice and he is holding the cache at the park office for us to pick up. It was placed on 9/8/2001. icon_frown.gifTrout Trot

Brenna

Bump On A Log

This is really bad news. Is there anything that we can do to show the State Parks that this is a good use. I can't believe how narrow sighted this looks on the part of the Parks. Pretty soon we won't be able to even visit them! Who would have made this decision?

This is what happens when you mix religion and politics. And I defy anyone to prove to me that Environmentalism is not a religion! You've got extreme greenies in low and high level state jobs, wanting to make sure that the parks are dedicated to their idea of what proper forest usage should be. It's tough, because you can be environmentally conscious without being extreme, just like you can be Christian and still be a fair leader..

boo2.jpg

I went to the MN State Park Rules web site and this is the portion that I think applies to caches in State Parks:

Subp. 2. Abandonment. No vehicle, trailer, boat, fish house, or other equipment or personal property may be stored or abandoned in a state park. In state parks, overnight parking and storage of equipment is permitted only in connection with the use of campsites or fish houses, except by prior approval of the park manager. The temporary storage of personal property by a person who remains in the immediate vicinity is permitted.

As you can see you will need prior approval of the park manager. And, I would bet, will be... NO!

Is there anything in the rule book about vertual caches in State Parks? Maybe everyone who has one in a state park will make an interesting vertual cache to replace the actual cache. There is more we can do with this game!

There is alot of abandoned litter in parks. Maybe we could use these as caches?

quote:
Originally posted by Bobhiker:

Is there anything in the rule book about vertual caches in State Parks?

The rangers couldn't remove it! icon_smile.gif

I have thought about doing a multipart geocache in a national park with the final cachebox outside the park. The thought of rangers running around the park following the clues, and deterimned to remove the cache from their park, only to get to the end and find out it is not in their park gives me a chuckle.

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:

Is there anything in the rule book about vertual caches in State Parks?

I have thought about doing a multipart geocache in a national park with the final cachebox outside the park. The thought of rangers running around the park following the clues, and deterimned to remove the cache from their park, only to get to the end and find out it is not in their park gives me a chuckle.

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:
Originally posted by Hinge Thunder:

Of course, you could also do the opposite. Place a multi-cache with the starting origin outside of the park. Just imagine the fun they would have visiting all the caches that pop-up in the areas surrounding the park just to make sure that the final location doesn’t fall inside of the park. And just for fun, some decoy caches would be nice.

eroom

quote:
Originally posted by Hinge Thunder:

Of course, you could also do the opposite. Place a multi-cache with the starting origin outside of the park. Just imagine the fun they would have visiting all the caches that pop-up in the areas surrounding the park just to make sure that the final location doesn’t fall inside of the park. And just for fun, some decoy caches would be nice.

eroom

quote:

Is there anything in the rule book about vertual caches in State Parks? Maybe everyone who has one in a state park will make an interesting vertual cache to replace the actual cache. There is more we can do with this game!

There is alot of abandoned litter in parks. Maybe we could use these as caches?

The state promotes a sort of virtual caching game of their own with the Hiking Club program. Some of the loop trails in the state parks are designated Hiking Club trails. Halfway through the loop a sign is posted with a code word on it. You get patches after 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, and 190 miles are hiked. They charge $12.95 for their game.

eroom

Hey Brenna, 88girl,

Is this new policy also why the Root River cache disappeared? I was started to feel bad for doing the story on it.. OR did it get plundered?

I think it might be time for a story with Mr. Assistant Park Ranger (or Mr. Head Park Ranger) at Forestville. It seems it always looks better for them if they TALK to the press, even if just a small, local paper.

(Geez, I was just at Forestville last Thursday, well "Historic Forestville," to do a story on their historic site programs for school kids. Fun place!)

And now I must say my "green piece" (as opposed to Greenpeace) LOL! Mind you, I have "green" tendencies, yet also like taking my old 4WD Jeep off road, so I'm kind of in the middle.

I've done a few caches in Chicago suburbs, which of course have very high traffic. When getting close to the cache coordinates, to really look for where it was hidden, what did I do? I looked for what elsewhere here has been called a "volunteer trail." Led me right to the caches 3 of 4 times. So, yes, there can be a pretty obvious impact... sometimes in very fragile areas.

So in the end, I guess I think it's good a conversation will take place. It needs to. Geocaching placements have been running rampant and, after all, this is in most instances on someone else's land.

As a mountain biker, I know what it's like to have hikers complaining about the erosion problems the wheels cause and, after all, the hikers say, "We were here first," and they hate to share. Right now you might say geocaching has moved into that "dirty little offshoot sport" role.

To keep trails open to them, mountain bikers responding by creating an agressive, positive plan of attack. Now you'll find them creating lots of trails, putting in switchbacks and waterbars to help minimize erosion, and doing tons of trail maintenance. Heck, a mountain biker has become a park ranger's -- and hiker's -- good friend.

Geocachers need to do something similar. It can't be a behind-the-scenes, sneaky activity forever. Too many people are involved and it's getting too "main stream." Let's owe up to promise of the sport and do what we can to logically promote its advancement. Work WITH the officials of public lands

My 2 cents, FWIW.

So, today I'm out for a walk and a little cache maintainence and a Conservation Officer stops to visit. We talk about the weather and normal other stuff and then I ask for his opinion on geocaching. He had only heard a little about the sport so I try to fill him in. Told him it is good for young and old. I ask what he thinks about the State Parks position on no caching allowed. He talks about impacts and such, then asks me what one looks like. I just so happen to have one in my truck. I show him a 2 quart plastic container filled with toys for kids and other trinkets for adults. He likes the idea of exchanging one item for another. Then he says something about where would I bury this thing. (This is a misconception that must be common with non-cachers). I explain that I have never buried or even seen a buried cache. I explain the logbook and a little about logging on the web. He says "my kids would love this". (Him too, I think). Anyway it seems that at the grass roots level that he could see the benefit of the game. Mission accomplished!! JK

Hey everyone. Lets get started on getting together and forming the Minnesota Geocachers Association. We could get a web page and have annual get togethers. We could set up standards and guidelines for caches and hopefully work together with all parks so that we may continue our activities that we all enjoy. If anyone has any experience in forming an association, post some ideas. I think or neighbors to the East of us in Wisconsin have such an association.

Here is their web page

www.wi-geocaching.com

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 15, 2002 at 06:25 PM.]

BobHiker wrote to us (WGA) asking about the possibility of working together. Since I'm the one who receives the "info." mail, I wrote back to him. Here's my email response:

--------------

Rob,

The main thing it took for us to get our association going was some us working together to put in the effort to plan some events and create a web site. So far all of our organizational work has been done via the internet -- either in forum discussions or in pre-arranged chat sessions.

As far as we have been able to determine, there is no official policy on geocaching by the Wisconsin DNR. You can read more about that in our forums at this link: http://www.wi-geocaching.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000002.html

Regarding working together, we would certainly be willing to help in any way we can.

Ken Braband

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

I'm relatively new to GeoCaching (ok, extremely new), but I have an idea about the Minnesota Park Ranger issue.

Perhaps someone should come up with informational sheet to give to Park Management when asking for permission to place a cache. The sheet could have information that would (hopefully) dispel any fears that the Park Management might have (such as cache placement, contents of a cache, types and number of people visiting a cache), while promoting the positive aspects of GeoCaching (trash out, people enjoying parks, getting children involved). The form could also incorporate "so now that you know what caching is all about, can I place one here please please pretty please???". This way the Park Management could make an informed opinion, and also grant permission. Maybe if we find some cache-friendly parks, we could have the undecided Park Management contact the other parks for information.

here is an email that I received from the Forestville Asst. Manager:

sent the following to our operations manager in St Paul. This might help,

or it might not.

Steve,

Last week I retreived a geocache in Forestville. I notified the owner via geocaching.com

that it had been removed and that he could come and pick it up.

To log on to this website, I had to give an Email address and I gave my personal

address. I've received much mail questioning this new policy and I'm beginning

to wonder if we were a bit hasty in issuing this new policy.

Perhaps some restrictions on the practice would work better, such as park manager

would have to ok area where cache is placed, or cache has to be within 50 ft

of park trail, or once cache has been logged (found) 10 times it has to be reset.

Just some ideas, but I really think the people in the geocaching community are

environmentally aware and perhaps shouldn't be given such a harsh cutoff.

Would it be ok if I gave them your Email address? Maybe if you could read some

of their comments, you'ld think differently too.

Arol

I liked his own words, "a bit hasty".

I do think we need to start up a MN Geocaching group.

Lizs comment about caches running rampant.....there has been one or two new caches in MN in the past week or so. I don't see that as a problem at least not in MN.

The bottom line is that we need to police ourselves. Pick good spots that won't be impacted too much. If you cache recieves a lot of traffic in a short time you should move it.

-------------------------------

- http

Interesting! I think moving the caches every so often is a great idea.

I haven't heard from the ranger except for the first email informing me that he has the cache. I replied back, but I wonder if that was seen because I signed my name and PS, I'm a SHE! icon_wink.gif

We *should* start a group! Fun! So... where do we begin?

Brenna

Bump On A Log

Interesting! I think moving the caches every so often is a great idea.

I haven't heard from the ranger except for the first email informing me that he has the cache. I replied back, but I wonder if that was seen because I signed my name and PS, I'm a SHE! icon_wink.gif

We *should* start a group! Fun! So... where do we begin?

Brenna

Bump On A Log

Brenna, I did get the same letter from that Forestville Manager. It was a carbon of what he sent to their superiors in St. Paul. The part about all this stuff to be watched by the local ranger or manager is the kind of grass roots level of input that will help keep the sport alive in the parks. I thanked him for the support. JK

[This message was edited by kleiner on May 16, 2002 at 02:41 PM.]

Last night I was thinking about hiding caches in State Parks and who to contact etc... and I remembered that my friend's father works as a manager of the Kettle River state park!!! So I was thinking that I could approach him with the idea of placing caches, and hopefully he wouldn't have a problem with it.

Does anyone have any ideas they could shoot to me about what type of information I should give to him?

Who knows... this might be an "in" that could work with other park managers. icon_biggrin.gif

Last night I was thinking about hiding caches in State Parks and who to contact etc... and I remembered that my friend's father works as a manager of the Kettle River state park!!! So I was thinking that I could approach him with the idea of placing caches, and hopefully he wouldn't have a problem with it.

Does anyone have any ideas they could shoot to me about what type of information I should give to him?

Who knows... this might be an "in" that could work with other park managers. icon_biggrin.gif

Well hello,I just created a new acct. today &

am wondering who I have to contact or where to go to get started. I heard about this on npr and thought it was a great thing to do on the weekends

or something. Any information you can pass on will be very helpful. Thanks! Anxious to get started!!

UBBCode

quote:
Originally posted by bjorn:

Well hello,I just created a new acct. today &

am wondering who I have to contact or where to go to get started. I heard about this on npr and thought it was a great thing to do on the weekends

or something. Any information you can pass on will be very helpful. Thanks! Anxious to get started!!

UBBCode

If you haven't done so, buy a GPS unit. There are plenty of discussion on here about various GPS receivers. Then search on this website for a geocache located near you. Start with a relativly easy first. Then go after another. Geocaching isn't so much a group activity, but some people will go out in small groups cache-hunting. Have fun!

I may be stepping into the line of fire with this response, but some of the comments I am reading are only going to lead to more restrictions on geocaching and more mistrust from resource managers towards geocachers.

Geocaching is a great activity for individuals and families to enjoy the outdoors. It is also an activity that if done without any rules can be damaging to the natural resources. Resource managers, park rangers, wildlife biologists are all required to manage and protect the resources they manage.

There are times when caches can cause damage to the resources and managers need to protect against that. Areas with rare plants or animals, fragile soils, steep slopes, etc. are areas where geocaching probably shouldn’t be allowed. The same considerations are taken when dealing with mountain bikers, hikers, 4-wheelers, horses and campers. There are always participants in any activity (the five percenters) who don’t care about the rules and do what ever they want. Their illegal activities can lead to the banning of the activity all together.

Some of the comments on the thread are good, others are antagonistic. Calling resource managers “trolls” will not lead to friendly conversations. Yes, we monitor the geocaching sites and know what is being said. Making multi-step caches, so that we chase hints around the parks is not a positive move either. Virtual caches are a good idea. I have already communicated with a geocacher about setting one up in our parks. Virtual cache sites still have to be respectful of the resource manager’s concerns.

There has been mention that it is silly for us to be concerned about what’s in the cache because this is a family activity and things will be kid friendly. I agree that 95% of the participants will only put in safe, fun items, but the 5% may leave inappropriate things. We need to be able to monitor that the same way we monitor other activities in the parks and wildlife areas. There was a comment that caches are not buried. The cache at Grass Lake in Shoreview is buried! It is not deep, but it can lead to a geocacher disturbing a large area of ground cover looking for the cache.

One last comment that caught my eye was that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That is geometrically correct, but it can put cachers into areas they should not be. Use existing trails until you are in close proximity to the cache. That will reduce the chance of additional trails becoming established. This may not be a concern for a cache that is only visited once or twice a month, but in urban areas caches are visited multiple times a week and do start new trails that are then followed by others.

Work with the resource managers and be patient. Not every park or open space will be suitable for geocaching, but most will be. The formation of the Minnesota geocaching group is a good start.

Thanks,

John Moriarty, Natural Resources Specialist

Ramsey County Parks and Recreation

John.moriarty@co.ramsey.mn.us

http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/parks/parks_trails/hiking.html (our geocaching policy)

p.s. When corresponding with resource managers please use your real names, not your nicknames.