My Geocache backpacks contains.....

74vwBus

Hello Folks! Newbie here excited about the hobby. Just in our first day we realized we need to expand our backpack.

I'd love to see lists of what's in your backpack so that we can make our own Geocaching bag that we can grab every day and head out. Thanks!

Okay, I'll bite. The contents of my bag change over time, based on what I can cram in it. Right now it contains:

1. 45 metal micro caches ready for deployment

2. 3 small caches ready for deployment

3. Several spare logs

4. About a dozen spare zip-closed baggies

5. Three pens

6. One mechanical pencil

7. About a dozen pieces of misc swag for trading

8. Four TB's ready for release into the wild

9. A log roller

10. A Gerber multi-tool (I strongly recommend them)

11. A small maglight flashlight (the LED type that use two AA batteries

12. Spare AA batteries

13. My handheld GPS

13. A spare smartphone - one of those prepaid ones, in case of emergency so I can dial for help

14. Some tissues

15. A roll of electrical tape

16. A bag of small zip ties

17. A tube of superglue

18. Tick spray

19. A spare 20oz bottle of water

20. Some safety pins

21. Earbud headphones

22. Spare geocaching stickers

23. 59ft of tightly wound para cord

24. A magnifying glass

25. Tweezers

26. Two screwdrivers

All this and I think my bags weighs less than 10 lbs. I often take my bird field guide and plant field guide when out hiking, though, so those will certainly add to that.

Extra Rite-in-Rain log sheets

Extra Baggies

Nano log Roller

2 sizes of Leathermans

Gloves

Few feet of Paracord

Lighter

Telescoping Mirror

A few types write on anything pens

Small first-aid kit

Emergency pills (allergy, headache ect)

Chapstick

Bug Spray

*Sometimes Sunblock

Swag to leave

*Swag acquired from the day

Flashlight (Normal spectrum)

Flashlight (UV)

My Wife's and my GPSrs when we are not caching.

I am sure I am missing a few things.

-edit remembered some more

"Tick Key"

extra batteries

picked up travel bugs

I can't remember if I have tweezers or if I need tweezers.

We also have a emergency culinary tool (spoon, fork can opener) because this bag 2nds as a "sh** has hit the fan" bag.

Edited by mrreet

When geocaching, I always carry: smartphone with Neongeo (or a handheld GPSr), Leatherman Micra, pens (Sharpie, Fisher Space Pen, gel pen), my personal sig tokens, small items to trade for others' personal sig items, geocache repair items (replacement log sheets, duct tape, O rings), hand sanitizer, small LED flashlight. Everything else depends on where I'm going, but I do a lot of urban/suburban geocaching with just those things.

Here's another list that may help:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Things_to_bring_in_the_woods

Holy cow! And I thought my backpack was heavy! Some of the lists here are pretty long. :)

I fit everything cache-related (except the actual GPS) into one quart-size ziplock that permanently resides in my backpack. Tweezers, little pliers, pen and extra batteries are essential. Replacement log books/sheets in baggies (ready to go) come in handy. Everything else is optional.

The bulk of my backpack is saved for water. Lots and lots of water on long hiking trips - I've learned my lesson the hard way on that one. I've never been lost/stranded out in the woods all night, so I've not yet learned my lesson on bringing along emergency gear, etc. I probably will someday. :)

Seeing as how I believe in the bag in a bag theory, I have a Pock-its by Nite Ize that contains three pens a extendable mirror, flash light tweezers, gunsmith picks, spare logs, o rings, and small zip locks. I use this for urban caching along with a GPSr or a smart phone depending on if the trip is planned or spur of the moment. When not in my cargo pants pocket the Pock-its goes in my Maxpedition Gearslinger Pack along with spare water bottle, long sleeved shirt, ORANGE safety vest, Swag, hand sanitizer, gloves, spare batteries, small role of duct tape, notebook for multi and puzzle caches, bug spray, first aid kit,100 ft of para chord, and multi tool. This goes in the rear of the geo truck that also has a short step ladder, walking sticks, a reach and grab tool, a extendable paint pole ( 6 to 14 ft) and chore boots in it.

I always have a pen and multitool/pocket knife with me, where ever I go. When I go geocaching, I add a bottle of water and a GPS. If the there is a long hike involved, I grab my yucca hiking staff and .357...I can't imagine needing anything else.

My backpack contains 60+ pounds of misc stuff (climbing rope, sandbag, water, an odd cache or two, etc) just for the conditioning - of course, there's a couple of pounds of tools for caching (similar to previous lists, in a small fanny pack) and a couple of pounds of emergancy gear (10 essensials and like). I use this while trail mapping/caching, it's good exercise.

My backpack contains 60+ pounds of misc stuff (climbing rope, sandbag, water, an odd cache or two, etc) just for the conditioning - of course, there's a couple of pounds of tools for caching (similar to previous lists, in a small fanny pack) and a couple of pounds of emergancy gear (10 essensials and like). I use this while trail mapping/caching, it's good exercise.

I always feel inadequate hiking with someone like you, because I try not to use a backpack. :-p

I am surprised no one has mentioned the most important thing a geocacher could ever pack, especially when doing those hiking caches...

Toilet paper.

:ph34r:

Leaves and rocks work quite well. Weeelll, you might want to learn how to avoid posion oak/ivy and nettles before going out there...

OTH, you should also carry means to remove said TP from the wild. Bury the matter (or whatever method is prefered in that area), but haul the paper out to dispose of it.

I try to carry the smallest bag I can get by with.

When I'm actually using a backpack, that almost always means I'm packing ammo can(s) - or once in while, as event host carrying food, beverage or other host stuff out to the event location.

For the regular day bag, water, gps, batteries, compass, a couple of pressurized pens, some kind of DEET spray or lotion, a sting-eze type stick, a small note book, smallish multi-tool knife, braided nylon cord, paper with the coords of all my owned caches (i tend to clear these out of the gps, and then I'm near one I'd like to check), a few pathtags for swag, a bison type pill container - in use carrying NSAID, but can be put to other purposes ;-), usually my cellphone and a camera.

I always feel inadequate hiking with someone like you, because I try not to use a backpack. :-p

But you'd love us when something happens on a joint hike and that emergancy gear suddenly is needed. B) I will admit, I'd be very happy if that never happens, I'd prefer to carry it for years and never need it (although, I have been in enough situations where one or more of the 10 essensials saved the trip, or lack of cause more problems).

But you'd love us when something happens on a joint hike and that emergancy gear suddenly is needed. B) I will admit, I'd be very happy if that never happens, I'd prefer to carry it for years and never need it (although, I have been in enough situations where one or more of the 10 essensials saved the trip, or lack of cause more problems).

Oh, no doubt. I was going to say that in my original post, but then I thought it wouldn't sound good. :D

I know better, but I take as little as possible. My excuse is that backpacks are very hard on me. But so would being stuck out in the middle of nowhere, in need, I suppose. I don't think I'd hike anymore if I had to use a backpack, at least at this point in my life.

In my geocaching bag I have:

snack size ziplocks. Just in case I need them to replace cache baggies

extra logs in different sizes

tweazers, for stuck logs.

a bright flashlight/magnet

a waterproof pen, to sign logs

any trackables that I have picked up

my own personal swag items to place in caches i like

my phone for gps and the geocaching ap

headhpones to listen to music

Edited by brutemus1

i carry a double zipper pencil case, first zipper has basic medical supplies, the second zipper has quite a few caching swaps that i use to top up muggled or empty caches, or swapping in general, my pens, some zippys for swapping out baggies, the usual really

I emptied out my pack and took this photo a few years ago. Things haven't changed much. No more PDA and I now have a small bivy shelter. Basically I bring enough to keep me alive for a night or two should I get lost or injured. In the winter I add more clothing. A down vest, a thick fleece pullover and a fleece shirt and the insect repellent and head net go bye bye.

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

Edited by briansnat

For Park & Grabs, a Rite in the Rain pen, small maglite, and my Samsung Galaxy 3.

For the "get out and get moving" types, I have a mirror on an telescopic pole that has an LED on it. A small notepad, a Gerber multitool, some swag to trade. Keep it in a Maxpedition FR-1, and I'm sure that thing will bet loaded up with more stuff over time.

My bag desperately needs to be restocked, but it always has the essentials for this area.

•  
  • Two pens
  • Extra Batteries
  • Multi-Tool with a small Flashlight
  • Duracell Flashlight
  • GPS
  • Small First Aid Kit
  • Randomly Assorted Swag for Trading
  • Lots of Golf Balls (I always find at least one lying around on every trip so it's a habit to pick them up)
  • Ready to Hide Caches
  • Bag of Dog Treats for the Puppies
  • Bottle of Water
  • GPS
  • Cellphone

All neatly packed into Condor Level 3 Mini Assault Shoulder Bag that is slowly being covered with patches ~

What I carry depends largely on where I'm going and how long I'll be away from the parking lot. The minimum gear is a map and a pen. If the map is a bit vague I add a GPS. Steep hills or gnarly bushwhack? Add a walking stick. Plan your trip and pack accordingly. If you carry the same stuff every time just because it is the "right stuff" then you are probably carrying way too much most of the time.

What I carry depends largely on where I'm going and how long I'll be away from the parking lot. The minimum gear is a map and a pen. If the map is a bit vague I add a GPS. Steep hills or gnarly bushwhack? Add a walking stick. Plan your trip and pack accordingly. If you carry the same stuff every time just because it is the "right stuff" then you are probably carrying way too much most of the time.

So I shouldn't pack a first aid kit, survival kit, water, because I don't plan to use it? Ahh, if only all those people planned on getting lost and packed accordingly, then they'd have a much better time.

That stuff, along with extra pens and notebook, and something to read, stays with me at all times. No, I won't take it with my 10 feet from my car to the skirtlifter, but it's there if I need it.

So I shouldn't pack a first aid kit, survival kit, water, because I don't plan to use it? Ahh, if only all those people planned on getting lost and packed accordingly, then they'd have a much better time.

That stuff, along with extra pens and notebook, and something to read, stays with me at all times. No, I won't take it with my 10 feet from my car to the skirtlifter, but it's there if I need it.

Didn't say that.. said "plan your trip and pack accordingly". It doesn't make sense to carry everything every time.

Great lists! Thanks!

Is there anywhere I can find a printable replacement log? I've already ran into two full logs. Thanks!

Printable logs of various sizes:

http://www.techblazer.com/geocaching-log-sheets/

My Geocaching backpack contains:

Iphone 4S with Mophie extended battery pack

Magellan Explorist GC (recently loaned to a cacher who was playing with a semi smart phone and a pen)

First aid kit

2 Swiss army knife (the one with tweezers) (1 always stays in the car)

Larger knife

Mutlitool

Geocoin (to be sent along soon)

Fire starter

Lighter

Matches

Chapstick

Nail clippers

2 small flashlights (a bunch of smaller flashlights in the swag bag)

Headlamp (best investment ever!)

Length of duct tape folded over a few times

Bug spray

sunscreen

hat

bandana

gloves

batteries

purell

small sewing kit

extendable magnetic reach tool

extendable mirror

Extra logs

Moleskine notebook (very thin and lightweight)

Gallon freezer bag full of swag (enough for cache maintenance. I hate to think of little kids finding empty containers)

A few extra ziploc bags (cache maintenance)

Spare logs (cache maintenance)

Pens (my own and a bunch for cache maintenance)

Canon DSLR (new addition. I hoped putting it in the bag would lead to actually using it.)

I keep forgetting to add paracord but, it should be in there

WINTER OPTIONS:

additional knit cap

and warm gloves

The bag rarely leaves the car. Most of the caches I have pursued have been pretty close to parking. I did take it with me on the hike to

Raiders of the Lost Cache http://coord.info/GC2HN2H

It wasn't as heavy as I expected even with bananas and water in there.

Edited by Sway_xx

depends what kind of day im planning but the essentials for me are sunscreen and DEET spray (im allergic to horseflies) spare log books, log extration tool, GPS and batteries! I do like to cache with an OS map too, if im with the geodoggy there has to be a supply of doggy dodo bags! which also double up as CITO bags although I draw the line at other dog owners dodo!!!!!!!! some food and drink and maybe a bit of a rescue kit - duct tape and spare cache container but apart from that I tend to travel quite light!!

Good question. I won't list everything but here are a few essential items that you should carry.

A large zip lock bag of inexpensive swag to add something to empty caches. Kids like to find stuff.

A supply of various size plastic bags to replace torn bags for log books.

Print outs of extra log sheets (check on Groundspeak for info) in case logs are full or wet.

Print outs of "This is a geocache" and explaining what the game is. In case muggles find it.

A snake or insect bite kit. Inexpensive and found in any store with camping or outdoor stuff.

Toilet paper or tissues. If you're way out in the woods and nature calls. Trust me!

A loud emergency whistle.

Extra GPS batteries or phone charger.

Extra pen or two.

Tweezers to get logs out of micros.

Here are a couple of items I didn't originally pack, but added after a scare or two:

1: Bright orange hunter vest - actually the deer came closer to me than the gun shots.

2: Snake bite kit. Jake-Noshoulders has either moved on or still been hibernating so far...

3: Cell Phone recharge battery. As often as I have had the "doh" moment for this not being in the pack after pulling it to use in normal life, I should probably get a second one.

Here are a couple of items I didn't originally pack, but added after a scare or two:

1: Bright orange hunter vest - actually the deer came closer to me than the gun shots.

2: Snake bite kit. Jake-Noshoulders has either moved on or still been hibernating so far...

3: Cell Phone recharge battery. As often as I have had the "doh" moment for this not being in the pack after pulling it to use in normal life, I should probably get a second one.

If your snake bite kit is of the slice and dice variety it would be good to read the current literature on snake bite first aid.

I feel really unprepared reading everyone's lists.

I just take a pen.

I did one day of caching when I walked more than 12km and I didn't have more than my phone, portable battery and cord, a pen and a tb to move on. IT all went in my pockets. It hasn't changed much now that I have a gps.

I carry the following in my 35L snow camo backpack

1 x water bladder (1Lt)

1 x screw driver

1 x extendable light/magnet

1 x camera thingy (its got a little camera at the end and you turn on the part in your hand to see inside tree trunks etc)

4 x AA Batteries

2 x tweezers

1 x lunch box of swag to place in each cache I can

1 x bag of our calling cards

1 x of gloves

1 x box of painkillers

1 x small bag of baby wipes

1 x tissues

1 x GPS unit

2 x power banks for my smart phone

1 x mini UV light

10 x small log bags from replacement

10 x paper logs for replacement

sweets

2 x pens

2 x lighters

1 x pencil

1 x roll on

I cant think of anything else, and I cart it every time I cache even if its only to get one cache.

Edited by marisa&kaleb

I hike, bike and drive, I cache in all sorts of enviroments and have an awesome backpack but i have different packages I put in my backpack for my different journeys.

I have supplies to help me in case of pretty much any emergency and try to take the appropriate ones for there i am going.

Right now

Bug spray (28% DEET)

home made first aid kit

toilet paper

swag bag

- various swag items

- spare phone batteries

- water proof note book

- golf pencils

Head lamp

dog bone travel bug

giant screw driver (for finding serve markers)

platypus hydration system

small knife

matches

para-cord survival bracelet with flint and steel

granola bars

3 older Garmin eTrex GPSrs (Legend H, and 2x Venture HC - bought used for $30 each)

Edited by Andronicus

Love this thread. I think the country you cache in makes a difference to what you carry too.

I carry:

Spare logs

little ziploc baggies

small bits of swag

My geocoins and tags (that I am too scared to release)

wipes

alcohol gel

Note book (I usually have a few of these including a specific geocaching one)

Book and/or kindle

multi-tool

penknife

pens

camera

will also soon include a magnetic extendable tool, extendable mirror, and pocket flexible grabber. :D

My geocoins and tags (that I am too scared to release)

If you're scared to release them for fear of them vanishing then I have seen that some people will make a small information card and laminate it to send it out and they'll keep their coin as a souvenir. I think it's a good idea, and can also be used if the original goes missing as a replacement :)

Hello Folks! Newbie here excited about the hobby. Just in our first day we realized we need to expand our backpack.

I'd love to see lists of what's in your backpack so that we can make our own Geocaching bag that we can grab every day and head out. Thanks!

My geocaching backpack (which is a small hydration pack) contains a pen.

We're a family of four so we carry a backpack with us that caters for park and grabs, and short hikes.

-notebook and pen

-multitool (purchased when I couldn't get micro logs from micros!

-water, barley sugars, muesli bars, bananas

-a stamp and ink pad for hybrids

-CITO bags

-rubber gloves

-hand sanitiser

-wetwipes

-personal first aid kid (antiflam, antihistamine, inhaler, plasters and panadol usually)

-swag box

-spare notebooks

-pencil sharpener

DQZJ9FV.jpg

I began by going out with nothing more than a pen and my smartphone. After a while, I grabbed a daypack that I had lying around to use as a cacheing bag, and started accumulating stuff. From there, I ended up looking like I was heading forth on an expedition, so started trimming down.

1. UTG Tactical messenger bag. The cheapo version of the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack that the GC shop sells. It's not up to the quality of the Maxpedition, but it's a third of the price - so as long as you're not fussy about the colour (black, green, kakhi, or camo), and won't be dragging it through gravel on a daily basis, it's a great little bag. Widely reported that the jingly zippers got annoying, and after one hike I wholeheartedly agreed, so I snipped 'em off and replaced with paracord. Now it's green and gold... for Ireland! Note that I have gotten a comment by a passing police officer once while wearing this, as this sort of bag is very popular amongst the firearm-owning folks, and think he assumed there was a gun in there. As such, tried to make it as non-tactical as I could by adding some patches announcing what I was up to. (There's a trackable patch on the strap, can kinda see it next to the notebooks)
  2. A Condor pouch I picked up on Amazon. GC sells these pouches as well, I believe. This pouch contains my home-assembled TOTT kit (left to right) tweezers, an extendable mirror ($1 at Harbor Freight!), an extendable magnetic thingy ($1 at Harbor Freight!), a Streamlight Stylus Pro flashlight (love it!), a UV marker, and a pen. Since someone gave it to me, there's a log roller thing in there as well that I've never had to use, and some RITR logsheets in baggies ready to go.
  3. Length of camo duct tape wrapped around an old dowel.
  4. A molle magazine pouch (Again, I'm not into concealed carry or anything like that, but the tactical molle stuff is really useful!) that I use to hold...
  5. ...my Leatherman Wave multitool.
  6. Garmin GPSMap 64st.
  7. UV flashlight - you wouldn't think you'd need one, but glad I had it on me both times!
  8. Spare AA and AAA batteries.
  9. Pens. Lots. And I keep having to replenish!!!
  10. Logbook and a spare one. (One's a Rite in the Rain, the other's a cheapo Mead one.
  11. First aid kit - head out on a trail, you're crazy not to have one.
  12. Jungle Juice. Because while I can live with mosquitos, I HATE TICKS.
  13. Hand sanitizer that the wife stuck in there, that I have yet to remove.
  14. Tecnu Poison Ivy/Oak wash. Lots of that evil stuff around here.
  15. Sunblock.
  16. Individual use wipes.
  17. REI hiking towel. I shave my head, so something to wipe off the sweat comes in VERY handy.
  18. Gloves. For when you think "They want me to stick my hands in THERE?!?!?"
  19. Spare logs and baggies. C'mon, it's just a nice thing to do to replace a wet log in a remote cache, or add a baggie to one prior to it getting soaked.
  20. Dog poop baggies, for CITO situations.
  21. Omnomnom.
  22. SWAG... primarily Lego minifigs, Minions, a few keychain flashlights, and my own Pathtags. There's a few trackables in there as well. I don't take SWAG because, y'know, I'm an adult, but like to freshen caches if they're filled with junk. (Well, I'd take a geocoin as long as I have one to replace it with)
  23. Ye Olde Water Bottle. HYDRATE OR DIE! Arrayed with stickers of stuff I'd much rather be drinking.
  24. Few bison tubes and film canisters, ready for deployment if I'm out and find a good spot. (Note - not A spot, not AVAILABLE spot, a GOOD spot. The world does NOT need another LPC.)

No pictured would be my smartphone (HTC One M8 running the both Geocaching apps, c:geo, and radar), and my trusty boonie hat (which I SHOULD keep in the bag, since I tend to forget it when going on extended sunny hikes!)

Caching locally in town, I still just go with my phone and a pen. If I'm going on a hike somewhere, this bag comes along. Despite the volume of stuff, it's actually fairly light, and even though I'm out of shape (well, round is technically a shape, so...) managed to get to a five star difficulty without feeling like Sisyphus lugging a boulder along. And since I started carrying this setup (hmm, past 4 months or so?), I can genuinely, hand on my heart, say that I've used everything in there.

Edited by ubermick