AWESOME Category Proposal #4

So. The family was heading home from vacation and I came across a wooden sculpture of Bigfoot and thought it looked pretty neat. I came home and thought to myself, "Why isn't there a category devoted to this?" Many countries around the world have their own names for this half-man-half-beast. I know in the U.S. this creature goes by the name 'Bigfoot' and 'Sasquatch'. I know in Nepal it goes by the name 'Yeti' other places as the 'Abominable Snowman'.

With other categories devoted to famous people or cultural/pop symbols (Elvis, Beatlemania!, Gargoyles, Kokopelli Sightings, Moomins, Pikachu Sightings, All Things Star Wars, James Bond - 007, Star Trek, Peanuts Characters, Extraterrestrial Locations, Jimmy Buffet) why can't this mythical beast have a category all to itself?

I know there are two categories that a Bigfoot statue would most likely fit into: Figurative Public Sculptures and Famous Fictional Figures. But what about locations where one might come across a plaque or cultural element or something permanent that is devoted to it? I think this could be a very fun category and it's definitely worldwide, so accessible to most folks. It could be treated in much the same way as the current aforementioned categories are.

Thoughts?

• Funny 1

So. The family was heading home from vacation and I came across a wooden sculpture of Bigfoot and thought it looked pretty neat. I came home and thought to myself, "Why isn't there a category devoted to this?" Many countries around the world have their own names for this half-man-half-beast. I know in the U.S. this creature goes by the name 'Bigfoot' and 'Sasquatch'. I know in Nepal it goes by the name 'Yeti' other places as the 'Abominable Snowman'.

With other categories devoted to famous people or cultural/pop symbols (Elvis, Beatlemania!, Gargoyles, Kokopelli Sightings, Moomins, Pikachu Sightings, All Things Star Wars, James Bond - 007, Star Trek, Peanuts Characters, Extraterrestrial Locations, Jimmy Buffet) why can't this mythical beast have a category all to itself?

I know there are two categories that a Bigfoot statue would most likely fit into: Figurative Public Sculptures and Famous Fictional Figures. But what about locations where one might come across a plaque or cultural element or something permanent that is devoted to it? I think this could be a very fun category and it's definitely worldwide, so accessible to most folks. It could be treated in much the same way as the current aforementioned categories are.

Thoughts?

I would not think a Bigfoot statue would fit in the Figurative category since it's a "one particular animal."

Bigfoot is REAL, so it wouldn't fit in the Fictional Characters category either. :D My mom used to scare the crap out of us kids, telling us that Bigfoot had been spotted in our area, and that it was very very dangerous to be outside at night.

Therefore, a stand-alone category for Bigfoot is a valid suggestion.

• Surprised 1
  • Love 1

How about Roadside Tourist Attractions?

I have never seen a statue of the Australia's version of Bigfoot, the Bunyip, but found this in The Observer Newspaper credit: http://www.gladstone...bunyip/1160181/

Joan is the spokeswoman for the Mulgildie Bunyip Committee.

She admitted that the resurrecting of the genuine Aussie monster was inspired by mercenary considerations.

"We saw the tourist potential in this," she said.

"I mean, no one has heard of Mulgildie, have they? But now nearby shopkeepers tell me people are pulling up to take pictures of the Bunyip."

She's right - I'd never heard of Mulgildie.

• Surprised 1
5 minutes ago, blakelylaw580 said:

Thanks, LOL. Since they 4-laned US 70 in this part of the state, I very rarely go through Broken Bow to make the drive to and from Idabel. Guess it's time I revisit that stretch of road.

I was hoping to waymark it but it's going to be a while before I can get to that part of the state. Probably the next total eclipse. 

17 hours ago, blakelylaw580 said:

And of course I have the distinction of being represented by the state senator who introduced the legislation earlier this year to make Bigfoot hunting licenses available in Oklahoma! LOL

As soon as I saw that on the news I sent a message to Bigfoot's Cousin: HIDE!!!