gps help

klsswimsagain

Okay as I posted yesterday, I am very new to this. I did venture out yesterday and found two out of three! my issue is, I used the map to locate them and I tried to use the gps but I failed. I ended up using the hints and/or clues from people who found it. I have no clue how to use the coordinates. I was using my cell phone (samsung galaxy note). Is it possible to give me a little lesson online or how would I go about finding someone in my area who could give me a lesson? Thanks for your time!

Download an app. Select a cache. There will be a choice to "navigate to geocache" or something to that effect. It will tell you the direction and how far away the cache is. When you get 10 feet or so, start looking for it. Read the description, look at the size, and even read the hints and other logs for clues.

Or get a gps. Download some caches, or enter the co-ords manually as a waypoint. Select a cache. There will be a choice to "navigate to geocache" or something to that effect. It will tell you the direction and how far away the cache is. When you get 10 feet or so, start looking for it. Read the description, look at the size, and even read the hints and other logs for clues.

The app i am using is c:geo.

I tried to navaigate to cache and it took me in the entire wrong direction. maybe my settings have to be adjusted.. I guess I will just play around with it lol

I haven't used that one, but on a GPSr and the official app, you can navigate by the map or by a compass, which points in the direction of the cache and tells you how many feet away you are. I use the map to drive and park and then switch over to the compass.

Here is the link for the Groundspeak app:

https://www.geocaching.com/live/

I started with the one for iphone but have enjoyed caching so much I have actually bought a dedicated gps because I found I could not cache for long enough with the phone as it drained the battery too quickly.

Dont know how it works on an android but on and iphone there is a free intro app which gives you a taster of the game and will let you navigate to caches. I found it very accurate. If you want to upgrade to the full app please be aware that other users have pointed out that there are two upgrades - a membership upgrade to premium and the full app upgrade - which are two different things and gets confused quite easily.

If you want to upgrade to the full app please be aware that other users have pointed out that there are two upgrades - a membership upgrade to premium and the full app upgrade - which are two different things and gets confused quite easily.

If you want to download the paid app go to the App Store and do it....the intro app only offers the option to upgrade to Premium membership.

Phones are ok for short trips and such because the battery dies quickly and I use c:geo for that option...the compass is garbage on this app, but the distance countdown meter works well. You can download a gps status app and use the radar option which works well. If your hiking or biking or doing lots of caches, then an actual GPS unit is best

Phones are ok for short trips and such because the battery dies quickly and I use c:geo for that option...the compass is garbage on this app, but the distance countdown meter works well. You can download a gps status app and use the radar option which works well. If your hiking or biking or doing lots of caches, then an actual GPS unit is best

The C:geo app violates the geocaching.com terms of use by scraping the site to get cache data. You probably won't get much specific help with it her in these forums.