Souvenir for Puerto Rico

YontzFamily

Here is a link to the list of available souvenirs. There is no souvenir for Puerto Rico, and at this time Groundspeak is not adding new country/territory/region souvenirs. There is a long-running thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site suggestions forum where the community is asking Groundspeak to add more souvenirs, including one for Puerto Rico.

Edited by Keystone

Here is a link to the list of available souvenirs. There is no souvenir for Puerto Rico, and at this time Groundspeak is not adding new country/territory/region souvenirs. There is a long-running thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site suggestions forum where the community is asking Groundspeak to add more souvenirs, including one for Puerto Rico.

I would also add that if Groundspeak *did* start releasing country/territory/region based souvenirs that there would likely be a lot of other countries that would get one before Puerto Rico. If you look at the list of countries which have a souvenir, they're, for the most part, countries that have the largest number of geocaches. The cut off point was somewhere around Hungary or Latvia. Countries such as Italy, Belgium, and Mexico didn't quite make the cut and would likely be the first new countries to get a souvenir. You might also notice that there are some countries that don't have a "Country" souvenir, but souvenirs were created for administrative regions within the country (U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia, and Ireland).

Personally, I think adding souvenirs for countries that are visited by a lot of geocachers, but do not necessarily have a lot of geocachers would make sense. That could include countries in the Caribbean islands, Mexico, and some central american countries.

I would also add that if Groundspeak *did* start releasing country/territory/region based souvenirs that there would likely be a lot of other countries that would get one before Puerto Rico. If you look at the list of countries which have a souvenir, they're, for the most part, countries that have the largest number of geocaches. The cut off point was somewhere around Hungary or Latvia. Countries such as Italy, Belgium, and Mexico didn't quite make the cut and would likely be the first new countries to get a souvenir. You might also notice that there are some countries that don't have a "Country" souvenir, but souvenirs were created for administrative regions within the country (U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia, and Ireland).

Personally, I think adding souvenirs for countries that are visited by a lot of geocachers, but do not necessarily have a lot of geocachers would make sense. That could include countries in the Caribbean islands, Mexico, and some central american countries.

It was interesting to read this. I have traveled abroad a little and was wondering which countries receive souvenirs. It would not effect my future travel plans though. Good stuff. Get some!

It was interesting to read this. I have traveled abroad a little and was wondering which countries receive souvenirs. It would not effect my future travel plans though. Good stuff. Get some!

It can effect my travel plans only in that if I'm traveling to another country it often means I'll have a choice of itineraries, and there is an option of having a layover long enough at an airport in a country I have not yet visited I'll consider that option as long as it's not prohibitively expensive. For example, Next week I'm going to Texas for a conference then to Costa Rica for a few days of meetings. I've already found caches in Costa Rica (but not in Texas) and I could just fly from Austin to San Jose, Costa Rica, but I found that if I take a bus (which is going to cost me $4.50) to San Antonio and stay over night there Friday night (rather than stay in Austin), I can take a flight around 1:30pm the next day that has a 5+ hour layover in Mexico city. The overall cost is about the same. I won't get a souvenir for Mexico but I'll color in a new country for me on the maps tab on my statistics page.

I've just started planning a business trip in November that will take me to South Africa and Ethiopia. I already have finds in both countries (and a souvenir for SA) but looking over several itineraries I could arrange a layover in London (UK), Vienna (Austria), or Dubai (UAE). Other itineraries would have layovers in Germany or France but I've been to both of those countries so as long as there isn't a significant price difference why not visit someplace I've never been to before.

On some airlines (e.g. Iceland air, TAP) if you book through the airline you can schedule a flight the following day. For example, I was researching a trip to Rome earlier this year and found a flight from NYC to Lisbon to Rome that had a 3 hour layover in Lisbon. For the same price I could fly from NYC to Lisbon then fly from Lisbon to Rome the following day. Sure, I would have had to pay for a hotel in Lisbon, but it would be worth it to spend 27 hours in Lisbon.

It can effect my travel plans only in that if I'm traveling to another country it often means I'll have a choice of itineraries, and there is an option of having a layover long enough at an airport in a country I have not yet visited I'll consider that option as long as it's not prohibitively expensive. For example, Next week I'm going to Texas for a conference then to Costa Rica for a few days of meetings. I've already found caches in Costa Rica (but not in Texas) and I could just fly from Austin to San Jose, Costa Rica, but I found that if I take a bus (which is going to cost me $4.50) to San Antonio and stay over night there Friday night (rather than stay in Austin), I can take a flight around 1:30pm the next day that has a 5+ hour layover in Mexico city. The overall cost is about the same. I won't get a souvenir for Mexico but I'll color in a new country for me on the maps tab on my statistics page.

I've just started planning a business trip in November that will take me to South Africa and Ethiopia. I already have finds in both countries (and a souvenir for SA) but looking over several itineraries I could arrange a layover in London (UK), Vienna (Austria), or Dubai (UAE). Other itineraries would have layovers in Germany or France but I've been to both of those countries so as long as there isn't a significant price difference why not visit someplace I've never been to before.

On some airlines (e.g. Iceland air, TAP) if you book through the airline you can schedule a flight the following day. For example, I was researching a trip to Rome earlier this year and found a flight from NYC to Lisbon to Rome that had a 3 hour layover in Lisbon. For the same price I could fly from NYC to Lisbon then fly from Lisbon to Rome the following day. Sure, I would have had to pay for a hotel in Lisbon, but it would be worth it to spend 27 hours in Lisbon.

That is epic. I am extremely envious of your ability to do so. Wow! May I come work for you? Again, I'm flabbergasted. So flippin' awesome! I suppose if I had the ability, I too would do the exact same thing. What an adventure! I must live vicariously through you. Get some!

details about travel options snipped..

That is epic. I am extremely envious of your ability to do so. Wow! May I come work for you? Again, I'm flabbergasted. So flippin' awesome! I suppose if I had the ability, I too would do the exact same thing. What an adventure! I must live vicariously through you. Get some!

Believe me, as someone that enjoys traveling I feel fortunate to have landed a job that allows me to travel (and the fact that I don't have to pay for it). On the other hand, I've had to work long and hard to obtain the position and develop a reputation such that I'm frequently asked to travel to various meetings, conferences, consultations, etc. That said, I know a lot people that travel far more than I do (and none of them are "sales people"). If it's something you want to do there are plenty of international organizations (I do a lot of work with the Food and Agricultural Organization of the U.N.) that have opportunities for positions which might involve a lot of travel. There is a woman that frequently posts in other forum sections that is pretty young but has found caches in a lot more countries than I (I'm currently at 20). I used to really wonder how she managed to travel so much on, basically, a student income but it essentially boils down to that she makes it a priority. If you want it, you've got to work for it.

details about travel options snipped..

Believe me, as someone that enjoys traveling I feel fortunate to have landed a job that allows me to travel (and the fact that I don't have to pay for it). On the other hand, I've had to work long and hard to obtain the position and develop a reputation such that I'm frequently asked to travel to various meetings, conferences, consultations, etc. That said, I know a lot people that travel far more than I do (and none of them are "sales people"). If it's something you want to do there are plenty of international organizations (I do a lot of work with the Food and Agricultural Organization of the U.N.) that have opportunities for positions which might involve a lot of travel. There is a woman that frequently posts in other forum sections that is pretty young but has found caches in a lot more countries than I (I'm currently at 20). I used to really wonder how she managed to travel so much on, basically, a student income but it essentially boils down to that she makes it a priority. If you want it, you've got to work for it.

For me, I do not suppose it is very realistic as I am focused on spending time with my family. In fact, I am considering changing jobs so I can spend more time with them. They are very important to me. However, a position I am considering does incorporate some in-country travels over time. The position holds the potential to be a pretty good fit for me. I definitely did not mean to imply you did not deserve the opportunity. The opportunity to work and travel simultaneously, along with geocaching is great! I suppose my excitement was not contained in the previous post. Geocaching, travel, and employment...Good stuff. Happy caching!