UK Scouts Geocaching Badge

For many years I've been both a keen Scouter and a keen Geocacher and today I was extremely pleased to find out that the Scout section are to have their own Geocaching Activity badge! This couldn't have come at a better time as I was just going to introduce my new troop to geocaching as part of Scouting's Jamboree on the Trail day (when all Scouts around the world hike on the same day to show unity)and to have them place a cache near their meeting place soon!

The requirements for the badge:

Geocaching Activity Badge

To achieve this badge you need to:

1. Demonstrate an awareness of the Global Positioning System (GPS) to include:

a. how it works

b. ownership and control of the system

c. benefits to society

d. what factors affect accuracy

2. Programme a hand-held GPS receiver to perform the following functions:

a. Find your location (grid reference and latitude/longitude) and record it

b. Enter the grid reference of a local landmark and navigate to the waypoint

c. Enter the latitude/longitude coordinates of a nearby point and navigate to the waypoint, 11

checking the accuracy

d. Walk on a bearing using the GPS and a map.

3. Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between Ordnance Survey and

latitude/longitude coordinates.

4. Using an Ordnance Survey map (1:25 000 or 1:50 000 scale) plan a route of at least 4km that

contains a minimum of 10 waypoints. Discuss the features and challenges that exist along the

route. Programme the route into a hand-held GPS and undertake the journey.

5. Sign up to a geocaching website. Find out about geocaching and demonstrate an understanding of

what is involved in both locating and placing a geocache.

6. Demonstrate an understanding of the safety and environmental aspects of geocaching, e.g.

Highway Code; Countryside Code and guidelines produced by the Geocaching Association of Great

Britain (GAGB).

7. Find five geocaches using a GPS, at least three of which must be 'multi-caches' with at least two

waypoints. Discuss the accuracy of the information provided and of the GPS receiver you used.

8. With adult assistance where necessary:

a. Plan, assemble and hide two caches, one of which should be a multi-cache. The planning

should involve making sure the location is suitable and that other navigators have proper

access to the land and terrain

b. Either submit your caches to a geocaching website, or give the details to other Scouts to

successfully find the caches.

One issue I see with those requirements is Number 8. Owning and placing geocaches is a long-term commitment. Most Scouts are only interested in doing the minimum requirement needed for earning the badge, then moving on to the next badge. I pity the area that a troop of 20 boys puts out 40 caches, then moves along to the next badge, leaving the 40 caches to languish.

I would rather see cache ownership be an option in the requirements. More emphasis on finding caches and perhaps an introduction to Travel Bugs.

#5 is a concern. "Sign up to a geocaching website."

The Terms of Use says:

• Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

There's a fairly indepth discussion about a similar badge in the American Award scheme here...

Personally I could be considered a bit old fashioned with award schemes but would all of this not be better off as a part of a navigation badge? I know at my group the scouts can't use a map and even the leaders struggle meaning that when they get to venturers and they are expected to be able to navigate in the bush they are screwed.

There's a fairly indepth discussion about a similar badge in the American Award scheme here...

Personally I could be considered a bit old fashioned with award schemes but would all of this not be better off as a part of a navigation badge? I know at my group the scouts can't use a map and even the leaders struggle meaning that when they get to venturers and they are expected to be able to navigate in the bush they are screwed.

The BSA (US Scouting) initiative for the past decade has been dedicated to advancing technology and evolving the program to keep kids involved.

Geocaching is a great opportunity to combine gps, computer and navigating skills. Navigation isn't a merit badge; Orienteering is for older Scouts and the Map & Compass belt loop is for younger scouts. By keeping caching separate, they can still combine some of the skills the other badges require, but allow different awards for them based on the level of expertise and the different activities involved. Personally, I feel letterboxing is a much closer activity to Orienteering than GeoCaching is. Several of the existing merit badges combine similar skill sets; every outdoor activity has some first aid component in them. This is simply a great example of where two badges have some common area of overlap. I like the new badge.