Oregon 450 or GPSmap 62s

Do you like buttons or a touch screen? Do you like the higher screen resolution on the Oregon or the quad helix antenna on the 62s. There are a lot of opinions. The only one that counts is yours. If you can, try out one of the 62 series and an Oregon to at least compare the way they feel to you,

I used a 60csx for many years. It still works fine but with prices dropping lately I figured that it would be a good time to buy something to replace it when it finally kicks the bucket.

I bought an Oregon 450 last fall when it was on sale for about $150. I forced myself to use it exclusively for about 4 months buy just couldn't get used to the touch screen interface. I guess I'm just an "analog/button" kind of person. So I bought a 62s last month ($199) and am finding it to be easier for me. Although it isn't as similar to the 60csx as I expected it to be.

When I get around to it, I will be selling the Oregon.

Like geodarts said, it all depends if you are a buttons or touch screen person. Using the Oregon in colder weather was a pain because I was always taking off/putting on my gloves.

Like geodarts said, it all depends if you are a buttons or touch screen person. Using the Oregon in colder weather was a pain because I was always taking off/putting on my gloves.

I have a 450 and prefer the touch screen to other units with toggles and sticks. In the winter, use the eraser end of a pencil to tap the screen.

You definitely want to borrow one of each and try them for yourself.

Had a 450 for a brief time years back, but didn't like the touch screen after being used to buttons, so it was quickly sold. Replaced it with a 62S -- sadly, that eventually went on the fritz. I took the opportunity to again retry the Oregon 450 with the recent fire sale prices; have to say, for caching use, I definitely prefer a touch screen now. Both models basically do the same thing, just a different way of using the device.

Like everyone has said, it depends on your personal preference. B)

Even more "it depends". I like the touchscreen and size of the 450, but the quad antenna is noticeably more accurate in forested areas (15-20ft vs 20-30ft accuracy) and the screen is a bit easier to see. I will say the biggest turn-off for me on the 62/64 is the buttons aren't terribly ergonomic and my thumb complains after using it during a hike. It might get better after it gets worn in, I'm not sure.

I actually have one touchscreen and one button model right now, and I still can't decide which to use as my primary. Go figure. :)