King Tut Geocoins

CW88

After my Scarab geocoins I wanted to make another Egyptian themed coin, and King Tutankhamun's sarcophagus/death mask was one I've wanted to make for a while.

After visiting the Tutankhamun exhibition in Geneva earlier this year, where replicas of everything in his tomb were displayed exactly as they had been found, I was able to get some detailed photos of the death mask, as well as other objects that I could use to turn into a coin.

CW5D5611edt2Small_zps4a93950e.jpgCW5D5563smll_zpsa5f80bfc.jpg

I know a few coins have been made before on this theme, but none that I know of were just of the mask in 3D.

My coins are 2 inches tall (at its widest point) and 10mm thick, with the top side being detailed 3D.

The front side is King Tut's death mask, and the back features hieroglyphics found on one of the burial vaults found in the tomb (seen in the photo above), with soft enamels and a variety of finishes.

These are the current samples that will probably all be made - though will all have some slight changes.

I also sampled in black nickel but it didn't come out looking right.

TutSamples_zps7da3c361.jpg

TutSamplesback_zps48c9ef33.jpg

KingTutSides_zpscb6797b7.jpg

I'll be making changes over the next few days and hope to have the final order in by the end of next week. I'll also be selling a few of the samples on ebay over the next 1-2 weeks to help cover that.

By then I should know the final versions, number of each version and approximate price, so will try and post that information when I know and would hope to have the final coins by early May. And will post more about the sale closer to when I'll have the coins.

These coins arrived today along with my Global Nomad coins, and think they came out well.

I'm still to finish checking all the coins, but they will go on sale next Saturday (14th) at 7pm Swiss time from my webstore.

There are 2 RE's - Shiny Gold with Blue or Red back (£15 - and will probably be reminted), 3 LE's - Antique Gold/Silver/Copper (£17 - same versions wont be reminted), 2 XLE's - Black Nickel/Glow + Satin Silver (£20) and one Artist Edition (Satin Gold/ Black enamel on back). Most of the AE's are already taken so the remaining few will probably only be auctioned on ebay.

Here are all the final versions:

ShinyGold1_zpsd234d3c2.jpg

ShinyGold2_zpsd2f7166f.jpg

AntiqueSilversml_zps140ec5b5.jpg

AntiqueGold_zps3d9e8c1a.jpg

AntiqueCopper_zpsfe843c4a.jpg

SatinSilver_zps64ffc1cb.jpg

GlowLight_zpse327f59e.jpg

GlowDark_zpse4d18065.jpg

SatinGoldsml_zpsf5aa304b.jpg

Edited by CW88

Did anybody get any of these. I was there when they went live and couldn't even complete the order because they sold out before I hit the submit button. Yet, the scalpers are already selling them on EBay for 2-3x's the price. Something really smells fishy about this.

fortunately I got one of each. Those I could find on ebay are from CW88 !He's also selling them there ! Before even in the store

Best regards

Edited by geogentoo

Did anybody get any of these. I was there when they went live and couldn't even complete the order because they sold out before I hit the submit button. Yet, the scalpers are already selling them on EBay for 2-3x's the price. Something really smells fishy about this.

fortunately I got one of each. Those I could find on ebay are from CW88 !He's also selling them there ! Before even in the store

Best regards

Well that actually makes my point. Why bother even having a store, then short stocking it and listing them on ebay if that was what you were going to do all along. I like the coins but I am not going to be forced to pay 2 or 3 times the price for them on ebay. Bosh, I'm outta here.

Yep. I was really excited about this coin, and the Global Nomad coin, and the Scarab coin... Followed this designer for months, watching out on here and on the FB group. But the numbers they are minted in are ridiculous, and with no pre-sales on here (or anywhere else), they seem to be design completely for rarity and for seeing how much money can be made on the auction sites.

I understand that the rarity is part of the game, and that the designers need to make their money back, but even the "RE" of these coins are minted in smaller numbers than the LE/XLE of other coins.

Very disappointed.

Edited by Pan314159

I fully agree with your disappointment and I remember Tsun early sales when system went down and I had to stay up very late to take my chance to get to coins and often went to bed with great disappointment.

I am still looking for the Earth Turtle Oceania with 2 babies. SO if someone helps me out it would make him/her happy.

Chris is selling a few over ebay to get his trip financed at that is ok with me.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! Love the design, but don't want to have to fight for them on the auction site.

Tough to accept for those of us who've been watching the thread from the beginning.

Worse for those of us who are previous customers.

I was in this same boat. Hard to believe that coins can be taken out of your cart before getting to the checkout to pay. Very bad site to use to try to buy in a very quick timeframe. I kept getting the message "error item no longer in stock" REALLY? I put it in my cart when it was available who stole it outta my cart? I kept revising my order down to two coins and finally went back to the original site to see all were gone. It was 12:14 then and I know I was trying to check out at about 12:08 MY TIME or 7:08 their time. I am not going thru that grief again!

Sorry I didn't get this up on here sooner - There are 4 new RE versions available, and the 2 reminted shiny gold/red or blue versions. They will be going on sale tomorrow (Saturday 25th) at 7pm CEST (Swiss Time).

I've been trying out a new webstore which hopefully works out better for people. I have found some issues with the postage costs being correct during checkout though (only charging one flat cost no matter how many coins are ordered), so I have put the postage costs into the prices of the coins instead and it should show £0 postage during checkout: http://geocoinsbycw88.tictail.com/

greensmll_zps839c0230.jpg

purplesmll_zpsdc8dc96b.jpg

backsmll_zps45a8eb39.jpg

shinycoppersmll_zpsc41abd12.jpg