Creating an Assisted Waymark

I'm wanting to create an Assisted Waymark with another waymarker but having trouble figuring out how to go about doing it.

Any help appreciated!

Beav: It's really easy to do. Write-up the waymark, add photos and anything else, then submit it WITHOUT a category. The waymark will then be added to the Uncategorized Waymark link (a prompt will remind you of this)

Keep in mind: anyone can grab it from there! More than once.

When someone categorizes a waymark from the Uncategorized waymark list, then submits it, the waymark will show that BOTH of you contributed. Easy peasy.

Good luck with your joint waymark.

I'm wanting to create an Assisted Waymark with another waymarker but having trouble figuring out how to go about doing it.

Any help appreciated!

Beav: It's really easy to do. Write-up the waymark, add photos and anything else, then submit it WITHOUT a category. The waymark will then be added to the Uncategorized Waymark link (a prompt will remind you of this)

When someone categorizes a waymark from the Uncategorized waymark list, then submits it, the waymark will show that BOTH of you contributed. Easy peasy.

Sounds interesting. Uncategorized waymark list? More info please.

Any help appreciated!

Sounds interesting. Uncategorized waymark list? More info please.

MPH

Check out <This is my ILL-FATED ICE VENDING MACHINE. It still lives as an uncategorized waymark. If you were to find a place for it, you could grab it just by putting in a category.

There are quite a few waymarks there, most of them ALMOST FIT into a category, but not quite.

MPH,

When logged on to the WM site, go to the right side where all the links are. Under Newest Uncategorized Waymarks, you will see a gazillion waymarks that, as jhuoni stated, almost fit into a category.

The UCM feature is badly in need of an overhaul (in my opinion), since it is extremely cluttered with old, old listings that probably will never ever be categorized.

I have submitted listings to UCM, and have categorized I think two. It's a helpful feature. One time, someone who has never visited OK told me that a major Oklahoma university's library was named after a relative of hers. I submitted the waymark to UCM, she finished the write-up, categorized it, and we both got credit. It was a really good use of this Waymarking feature.

It CAN be a frustrating feature. Once you submit the listing, anyone can grab it and categorize it, and use your photos and your exact text. I've fiddled with the feature, and I still get confused over its use.

So... If I create a waymark and include verbiage that the uncategorized waymark is going to be shared with a fellow waymarker and categorized very soon AND request that no one 'grab it' for themselves to categorize, is this appropriate to say?

It's appropriate, but there are no guarantees.

But a statement might really help, so I encourage you to add it (maybe to the short description, which is most easily visible to those scanning the UCMs)

Edited by Max and 99

To those more experienced with the Uncategorized Waymark feature:

Once someone grabs it to categorize, do I remember correctly that I CAN delete it from the UC link, so no one else can categorize it to an additional category?

That information might be helpful to the Beav, although if you want to, Beav, you can fiddle with it and see for yourself if it can be deleted it from the list after the other person categorizes it for themself.

Edited by Max and 99

Wow! Never a dull moment Waymarking. :) I had seen the link, but never looked there. I did see a Fire Tower that may fit a category, maybe I can list a few of my waymarks that I can't figure out where to list them. :D

I've been Waymarking for over two years and never looked at the link either! I guess I'll try creating an uncategorized Waymark and let the person who started this whole fiasco/opportunity know so that we both jump on this and claim it together. I'm guessing that's how this works?

I've been Waymarking for over two years and never looked at the link either! I guess I'll try creating an uncategorized Waymark and let the person who started this whole fiasco/opportunity know so that we both jump on this and claim it together. I'm guessing that's how this works?

I waymarked for about two years before finally figuring out (being told, I mean), how to look up another waymarker.

I need help, for anyone who knows the answer:

I just found a UCM for a place my family has been to many times, and we have LOTS of photos to add. However, I tried twice to categorize and save it, and both times got an error message stating the waymark doesn't exist or isn't in the database. What's up? It's listed, and I categorized and saved it, but then this message shows up. What am I doing wrong?

I waymarked for about two years before finally figuring out (being told, I mean), how to look up another waymarker.

I just found a UCM for a place my family has been to many times, and we have LOTS of photos to add. However, I tried twice to categorize and save it, and both times got an error message stating the waymark doesn't exist or isn't in the database. What's up? It's listed, and I categorized and saved it, but then this message shows up. What am I doing wrong?

That's probably an issue that a Groundspeak admin (such as Waywizard) can help you with.

This Assisted Waymark capability could really be a neat thing if it were advertised better, such as on the home page of Waymarking.com. I'm getting bored seeing the 500,000 Waymarks tribute. The home page should be a revolving door of current FYI info (like Assisted Waymarks)... Just my 2 cents. :grin:

The uncat waymark feature was added a few years ago as a way to encourage people to contribute who perhaps didn't have the time to fully create a waymark or find the right category. It can also encourage the creation of new categories to accommodate some of these orphans.

It does create some statistical problems with the "credit" issue. The person who completes and categorizes the waymark does indeed get credit for it. So, I've got one waymark in Africa and I've never visited that continent - just provided the category. So, my stats are messed up and my map! I wasn't aware that the person who created the uncategorized waymark also got credit. I thought that was surrendered. I'll have to check that out.

This depends on how you define credit. When you have a look at that waymark, both participants are listed, indeed; but when it comes to the numbers, the waymark is credited fully to to person who finalized the submission in the statistics, and only to him or her.

I sent one of my waymarks of a town clock to the Uncategorized Waymarks. This waymark of mine was rejected because I failed to properly discribe the clock. Maybe another member will have better luck? I also noted the there are two more town clocks in the Uncategorized Waymarks list, so I may not be the only Waymarker that can't discribe a Town Clock. :blink: I have a Coat of Arms waymark also that looks like it would be tought to get approved, but worthy of Waymarking IMO.

I sent one of my waymarks of a town clock to the Uncategorized Waymarks. This waymark of mine was rejected because I failed to properly discribe the clock. Maybe another member will have better luck? I also noted the there are two more town clocks in the Uncategorized Waymarks list, so I may not be the only Waymarker that can't discribe a Town Clock. :blink: I have a Coat of Arms waymark also that looks like it would be tought to get approved, but worthy of Waymarking IMO.

One of the issues I see with the UC waymark list is that I can't tell WHY a waymark is there. Was it rejected by a category, and if so, which category? What was the reason? This would be really helpful information to include with the waymark.

I have seen others, and I think I did it once to follow suit, give a brief explanation as to why the waymark was submitted without a category. It could be something like "I am tired of typing up historical markers", or "The officer in kinetic sculptures said this one doesn't fit the requirements".

I once categorized a UC waymark, certain of where it went. I did my research, called long-distance to get information, did a write-up, and the waymark was declined. Rightfully so, but it was for something I didn't catch myself. The problem was, if i remember correctly: that when I uncategorized it, and sent it back to the UC, it was then listed as MY waymark. There was no way to turn it back over to the person who originally created it. I felt bad, and emailed the person to explain the dilemma.

I wish the UC waymarks came with more information.

I still need help. I tried again today to categorize the UC waymark and got the same error message. Anyone?

I still need help. I tried again today to categorize the UC waymark and got the same error message. Anyone?

I created a UC waymark, but decited I wanted to list it so I went back yesterday and assigned it to a category without any problem. What category is your UCM?

I created a UC waymark, but decited I wanted to list it so I went back yesterday and assigned it to a category without any problem. What category is your UCM?

Since I don't care if anyone else takes it, I'll state it on the forums:

It is the one for Kickapoo Boy Scout Camp (page 2 of UC list).

It goes under Recreation, Scouting, Boy Scout Camps. I can categorize it, but when I save and click on the option to view the waymark it says it doesn't exist.

It's not like I haven't used this feature before, so I know what I'm doing, but I've never had an error message like that. Oh well. If someone else has better luck, go for it!

It goes under Recreation, Scouting, Boy Scout Camps. I can categorize it, but when I save and click on the option to view the waymark it says it doesn't exist.

It's not like I haven't used this feature before, so I know what I'm doing, but I've never had an error message like that. Oh well. If someone else has better luck, go for it!

OK, if you know what you are doing, I won't tell you what you did wrong. :laughing:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMKG9D_Camp_Kickapoo_Last_Frontier_Council_Oklahoma

Please, tell me! I know what I'm doing isn't working, even though it's the same way I've done it for years! Any help is appreciated.

At first I got a message that I had not made any changes, then the same error that you got that the waymark did not exist. So I went back and changed the "st" to street, and it worked. :unsure:

Just to make you feel better, this is my first UC waymark I have attempted other than my own yesterday. :anicute:

Please, tell me! I know what I'm doing isn't working, even though it's the same way I've done it for years! Any help is appreciated.

First we tried my account but I am not a Premium Member and nothing happened. Then we tried MPH's account and noticed the "no changes made" message. How have you done them in the past?

I would guess it is safe to assume that you have to be a Premium Member to "assist" in a UC waymark? :(

I sent the waymark back to the UC group. Good luck. Thanks for assisting me.

Amusing to see you posting to this thread, Manville, since I just categorized two of your churches a few hours ago. :P

Amusing to see you posting to this thread, Manville, since I just categorized two of your churches a few hours ago. :P

That is great revent, I hope to see them published soon. I seem to have trouble writing up the long discription for a Church. I just stick to listing them in the dated buildings category. :) The Catholic one here in Dungannon really looked to be a challange for me, but if you need any photos I can assist. I also saw where you were requesting photos for Commissioner's Rock? I may have some photos that were taken last summer. I know that Moon Pie Mafia had some photos stored on his phone, but that is another story. He listed a virtual cache on another site of the Chattanooga River Trail Rock there at the trailhead. I will ask if he has any photos stored, but I think they went with the phone, along with his photos from the MEGA event in Kentucky last September. :(

Well, here are some hints: Read the posting instructions. Look at existing waymarks to see how the clocks are described. Ask one of the officers. Pretend that there is no photo, then tell the world what the clock looks like. In describing any object, what kind of things would you say? What about size, shape, style, color, location? All of these vary widely in town clocks.

I just got an email from another waymarker that is assiting me with a waymark that I sent to the UCM's. Seems it was rejected because the photos are mine, and not the other waymarkers? :unsure: Can someone help me understand?

I'm good now. I got my laugh for the day!! :D :D

I don't understand? What was funny?

'Cuz by definition Uncategorized waymarks are NOT your own photos if you are the one submitting them to a category. That's inherent in the UC category. You BOTH get your names listed on the waymark, and it's understood that the photos were taken by the person who originally put the waymark in UC. I think it's funny that the waymark was declined because the photos were yours, not his, when this really should be a given!

The exact wording from the Waymarking FAQ:

What if my waymark doesn't fit in a category?

To submit an uncategorized waymark click the Post a New Waymark link in the upper right of the home page, and simply leave the category dropdown on the waymark edit form blank. Because the waymark has no category it will live in its own queue with all of the other uncategorized waymarks, waiting to be categorized. Uncategorized waymarks serve as the core ingredients for regular waymarks and can be categorized by other waymarkers when a category is found that meets the location's description. A single uncategorized waymark can be made into any number of regular waymarks, provided each one meets the new category's requirements.

How do I categorize an uncategorized waymark?

First, view the uncategorized waymark's details and click the Assign Category to this waymark link at the top of the page. On the edit page choose the appropriate category from the dropdown menu and press the Select Category button. Assigning the category will insert category-specific questions for you to answer at the bottom of the edit page. Once these are filled in you can submit the new waymark and await Group review.

Edited by Max and 99

I just got an email from another waymarker that is assiting me with a waymark that I sent to the UCM's. Seems it was rejected because the photos are mine, and not the other waymarkers? :unsure: Can someone help me understand?

I'm good now. I got my laugh for the day!! :D :D

I don't understand? What was funny?

'Cuz by definition Uncategorized waymarks are NOT your own photos if you are the one submitting them to a category. That's inherent in the UC category. You BOTH get your names listed on the waymark, and it's understood that the photos were taken by the person who originally put the waymark in UC. I think it's funny that the waymark was declined because the photos were yours, not his, when this really should be a given!

I'm beginning to think that Waymarking only works for a select few.

I've been Waymarking for about 3 years and never really spent time to find out what this category could be used for. Yesterday I tried to find out but didn't get much wiser. Thank you for explaining it here :D It seems as if someone also uses it as a kind of inspiration for other waymarkers?

From what I make of it, it was a good idea that has turned into a dump site for rejected waymarks.

After one that another waymarker and I worked together on was rejected because it was my photos and another person's research, I gave up on the category. I did like the idea, and still do, but Waymarking can be like that. No written rule, but just made up to whatever. It burned me on the UC category. :(

Someone bumped this thread. Sorry I missed this question.

It is not that YOU don't understand; it is that someone else doesn't understand. I think it just takes some patience to explain things, because we can all make mistakes and can have gaps in our understanding. As you know, I've made my share. The more you do, the more chances for mistakes.

I would take the time to explain that this is a waymark coming through the uncategorized waymark system. One of the reasons Groundspeak created that function was to encourage collaborative work. We also have an "edit" function where another person can suggest an edit for a waymark created by someone else. These go to an officer for review and are usually to correct minor errors, but they can add material as well. In the case of photos, ANYONE can log a visit and add photos to the gallery after the waymark is published. I suppose the waymark could delete these, and officers with edit privileges can so so as well.

There is a lot of flexibility in the way waymarks are created, reviewed and edited. This means there is potential for misunderstanding, mistakes and even abuse, I suppose. But, if we communicate with each other and offer some grace when things go wrong, I think we are a stronger community and can feel good about what we do and who we are.

Any help appreciated!

That's EXACTLY what I did woth my waymark.

It is not that YOU don't understand; it is that someone else doesn't understand. I think it just takes some patience to explain things, because we can all make mistakes and can have gaps in our understanding. As you know, I've made my share. The more you do, the more chances for mistakes.

I would take the time to explain that this is a waymark coming through the uncategorized waymark system. One of the reasons Groundspeak created that function was to encourage collaborative work. We also have an "edit" function where another person can suggest an edit for a waymark created by someone else. These go to an officer for review and are usually to correct minor errors, but they can add material as well. In the case of photos, ANYONE can log a visit and add photos to the gallery after the waymark is published. I suppose the waymark could delete these, and officers with edit privileges can so so as well.

There is a lot of flexibility in the way waymarks are created, reviewed and edited. This means there is potential for misunderstanding, mistakes and even abuse, I suppose. But, if we communicate with each other and offer some grace when things go wrong, I think we are a stronger community and can feel good about what we do and who we are.

In the Woodmen of the World category, we have a limit of four Woodmen monuments per cemetery. In my case, I put a fifth one for a particular cemetery in the uncategorized waymarks, doing all the footwork but leaving a loose end that I hoped someone would tie up and then submit. It would be one of those "It's Shake and Bake and _I_ helped" kinds of deals, but thus far, only one person has attempted to submit the thing, unfortunately without paying attention as to what was going on and not providing the necessary information. I'd leave more of these around if people would take advantage of them and have fun doing it, instead of some guy trying to pad his "Visited" numbers.

I have just had an uncategorized waymark declined in the Woodman of the World category that I created. I dropped it into Uncategorized because that category has a strict limit of 4 waymarks per waymarker per cemetery. I figured someone could pick it up, categorize it, and get it posted. It's a gorgeous WoW tombstone that I thought would make a great addition to the category.

WRONG-O!

Here are the vote comments for the waymark, which was declined 3-2:

Your waymark, SGT. Finis E. Walker -- Oakwood Cemetery, Cisco TX, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:I think a few of us have had this conversation offline: Do we want to get into the habit of bypassing the limit of four by allowing additional Woodmen to be posted in the Uncategorized Waymarks and then "completed" by someone else? This is one example, and for my part, I have one out there, too, waiting for someone to visit and provide the additional photos (and completed write-up). Vote comments: [yea] Yes! I've always hated the four limit rule and if there's a way to bypass it, I'm all for it. [nay] These aren't shared waymarks. Either you were there and took the photo and got the info or you weren't. [yea] I agree. [nay] I thought that these were going to be denied. I thought this was settled. [abstain] Abstaining...I do think the right mechanism for this is for someone to provide part of the Woodmen submission and someone else to provide the rest. Post the emblem, let the other person get the other photos, that kind of thing. [nay] No need to lower standards.

So my question is, isn't this a textbook example of an assisted waymark? What is the difference between shared waymarks (as in the vote) and assistd waymarks?

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Any help appreciated!

That's EXACTLY what I did woth my waymark.

In the Woodmen of the World category, we have a limit of four Woodmen monuments per cemetery. In my case, I put a fifth one for a particular cemetery in the uncategorized waymarks, doing all the footwork but leaving a loose end that I hoped someone would tie up and then submit. It would be one of those "It's Shake and Bake and _I_ helped" kinds of deals, but thus far, only one person has attempted to submit the thing, unfortunately without paying attention as to what was going on and not providing the necessary information. I'd leave more of these around if people would take advantage of them and have fun doing it, instead of some guy trying to pad his "Visited" numbers.

I have just had an uncategorized waymark declined in the Woodman of the World category that I created. I dropped it into Uncategorized because that category has a strict limit of 4 waymarks per waymarker per cemetery. I figured someone could pick it up, categorize it, and get it posted. It's a gorgeous WoW tombstone that I thought would make a great addition to the category.

WRONG-O!

Here are the vote comments for the waymark, which was declined 3-2:

Your waymark, SGT. Finis E. Walker -- Oakwood Cemetery, Cisco TX, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:I think a few of us have had this conversation offline: Do we want to get into the habit of bypassing the limit of four by allowing additional Woodmen to be posted in the Uncategorized Waymarks and then "completed" by someone else? This is one example, and for my part, I have one out there, too, waiting for someone to visit and provide the additional photos (and completed write-up). Vote comments: [yea] Yes! I've always hated the four limit rule and if there's a way to bypass it, I'm all for it. [nay] These aren't shared waymarks. Either you were there and took the photo and got the info or you weren't. [yea] I agree. [nay] I thought that these were going to be denied. I thought this was settled. [abstain] Abstaining...I do think the right mechanism for this is for someone to provide part of the Woodmen submission and someone else to provide the rest. Post the emblem, let the other person get the other photos, that kind of thing. [nay] No need to lower standards.

So my question is, isn't this a textbook example of an assisted waymark? What is the difference between shared waymarks (as in the vote) and assistd waymarks?

As an officer of the Woodmen category, here is my take. The 4 limit per cemetery rule REALLY sucks, however, it is a rule that was built in since the creation of the category. The category creator wanted to have lots of people to be able to post these waymarks and not have someone completely clear a region. He wanted to make this a good starter Waymarking category, in my opinion.

That said, HOW is the second person assisting on the waymark other than to get it published? Assisted means that the second person CONTRIBUTED to the waymark with additional photos, writeups, etc. The assisted category is NOT a dumping ground for waymarks to get around category rules than one does not agree with. I definitely understand the frustration - There have been MANY a cemetery that I have to not continue to photograph Woodmen markers because of the 4 limit. I know of a cemetery here in Independence, Missouri, where I could easily post close to over 100 Woodmen waymarks as they have an entire Woodmen section. Also, the REALLY cool Woodmen marker that I got to have as a featured waymark from Batesville, Arkansas - I had to eat several photos of a different headstone because it was actually the FIFTH Woodman marker I had found in that cemetery and I couldn't write that fifth one up. I chose to go with this one that was the most outstanding. I didn't, however, take that fifth one and dump it into the Assisted waymarks category so someone halfway around the world who only wants to drive up numbers could get credit for my work. Doesn't make sense to me.

Again, this issue actually had come up before (Assisted Waymarks) and had been denied before - I'm really surprised that it even CAME up to a vote. Unfortunately, until and unless the 4 per cemetery maximum rule is lifted for the Woodmen waymarks, it is just going to be the way it is.

I'm not dumping on you, BB. Believe me, I hate this rule as do a lot of other waymarkers do. Unfortunately, it's not going to change in the foreseeable future and since it is a rule, as an officer of the Woodmen categoty, I am committed to enforcing it.

I will add to this old topic as I have the same question.

I see this answer in the FAQ:

"How do I categorize an uncategorized waymark?

First, view the uncategorized waymark's details and click the Assign Category to this waymark link at the top of the page. On the edit page choose the appropriate category from the dropdown menu and press the Select Category button. Assigning the category will insert category-specific questions for you to answer at the bottom of the edit page. Once these are filled in you can submit the new waymark and await Group review."

How do I create an assisted waymark? I go to the newest uncategorized waymarks. I click on one that looks promising. I see no Assign Category button / link at the top.

10 hours ago, ggmorton said:

How do I create an assisted waymark? I go to the newest uncategorized waymarks. I click on one that looks promising. I see no Assign Category button / link at the top.

you make the waymark just like normal, EXCEPT do NOT put in a category (or delete the category). Then, when you save it, you will get the message that it doesn't have a category. OK that, and it will go to UCW.

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

you make the waymark just like normal, EXCEPT do NOT put in a category (or delete the category). Then, when you save it, you will get the message that it doesn't have a category. OK that, and it will go to UCW.

I have that part down. I can't seem to find out how to add a category to someone else's uncategorized waymark. Attached is what I see when I go to an uncategorized waymark. Where is the Assign Category button?

UncatWaymark.png

39 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Now I have to wonder, is categorizing a UCM a premium feature? I know that anyone can submit a waymark without a category, but do you need to be a PM to categorize it? Just wondering after seeing your post.

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing, but I didn't see that spelled out anywhere as a Premium Member feature in the feature list. The FAQ didn't mention anything about it either.

Edited by ggmorton
typo; grammar.