How do I get a FTF the easiest way?

chaseisawesome

Find a new cache that you need to drive a ways and/or maybe hike a bit to. I only have a couple of FTFs, and they are ones that had been listed a few days or even a week before I got to them. But they were a long drive on forest service roads.

I don't really try for FTFs, but if there is a new one in an area I want to spend a day looking in, I will.

Have your friends place caches and sign your name for you when they hide it. :ph34r:

Or, if you don't want to cheat (too much), a monthly payment to your local reviewer will get coords emailed to you a few hours before caches are published.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now remember kids,

Don't believe everything you see online...

YOU+LYING+SON+OF+A_43cc50_4430809.jpg

Edited by chaseisawesome

All FTFs are easy. You just go look for a cache as soon as you find out about it. Since you wanted to find the cache anyway -- right? -- it's no effort at all. Naturally, you might not get FTF on the first one you try, or the second, or the tenth, or the hundredth, but eventually you will, and you will have not lifted a finger to do it, you will just have enjoyed yourself looking for caches.

If what you really meant was "fastest" instead of "easiest", and there are enough FTF hounds in your area to make my suggested approach too slow, in my experience the fastest way to get an FTF is to watch for puzzles and multis because sometimes people are slower to track those down.

First and foremost, if you're serious about going for FTF's, is set up Instant Notifications as niraD suggested. That way you'll know immediately when a new cache is published in your area.

Other than that, it depends a lot on your area. In my area it's not unusual for a new cache to go a few days to a week or more before its first find, just because there aren't many cachers around here. But in some areas with a busy caching community it may be a matter of minutes.

Really quickly here...

The OP is 13. The first thing we need to do is address the TOU for the forums and the website. Next, we address that this kid will need to be able to transport himself faster than other local cachers to get there first. Driving a car is 3 years away, and a bike isn't going to beat most car-equipped cachers. Also, being able to drive from wherever to the cache at the drop of a hat is helpful in logging FTFs when a cache isn't posted on your block.

I am a premium member, and the log type "publish listing" is not in the drop down list of logs to watch. How do you get this enabled?

From http://www.geocaching.com/my/ :

On the right, middle of the page under "Premium Features" is the "Set up Notifications" link. (http://www.geocaching.com/notify/default.aspx) Follow the link and then the directions to create notifications.

Here is a link to the "How To" http://www.geocaching.com/about/premium.aspx#anchorNotify

Really quickly here...

The OP is 13. The first thing we need to do is address the TOU for the forums and the website. Next, we address that this kid will need to be able to transport himself faster than other local cachers to get there first. Driving a car is 3 years away, and a bike isn't going to beat most car-equipped cachers. Also, being able to drive from wherever to the cache at the drop of a hat is helpful in logging FTFs when a cache isn't posted on your block.

Yeah, I've been away for some months. But this here post, and the other one where the Riffster harasses someone about exclamation points, are exactly why that I am sorry that I stopped in to check things out.

Really quickly here...

Yeah, I've been away for some months. But this here post, and the other one where the Riffster harasses someone about exclamation points, are exactly why that I am sorry that I stopped in to check things out.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, as sometimes the truth is hard to swallow. The OP is young, and I don't know that people realized that they can't drive, and likely can't race out at the drop of a hat.

It was less directed at the OP and more at bringing to light what appeared to be missing from the conversation others were having. It is also important that the OP knows about the TOU for the site.

I know that the OP is placing good caches and participating in the local events and culture in MN. That's great, and certainly welcome so long as everyone is straight on the facts that the OP is 13, and that much needs to be addressed.

To chaseisawesome: I hope that the posts above help you with notifications and getting them set up to know when a new cache is published. That's the fastest way to be in the running for a FTF. The next hurdle, however, is being able to drop everything at a moment's notice and get to the cache site. If it is within range for you, then you're in good shape. If you have someone who can drive you at the drop of a hat, that's even better!

But, you will want to be aware of the Terms of Use for this website and the forums. Once you know and abide by those, you're already in great shape to be part of a vibrant geocaching culture there in the Twin Cities. FTFs are fun, but it can get intense there in the TC metro. Don't be too hard on yourself if you have a very hard time getting FTFs there--you've got some hurdles to overcome versus the other cachers out there.

I am a premium member, and the log type "publish listing" is not in the drop down list of logs to watch. How do you get this enabled?

From http://www.geocaching.com/my/ :

On the right, middle of the page under "Premium Features" is the "Set up Notifications" link. (http://www.geocaching.com/notify/default.aspx) Follow the link and then the directions to create notifications.

Here is a link to the "How To" http://www.geocaching.com/about/premium.aspx#anchorNotify

Ah, and to clarify, I see what you're saying now.

Select the cache type you want to be notified about from that first dropdown within the "create notification" page. It will autoload, and then present the log type for you to add to notifications.

Select the cache type you want to be notified about from that first dropdown within the "create notification" page. It will autoload, and then present the log type for you to add to notifications.

got it!! thank you! so excited for my first notification LOL thanks for your patience and getting back with the last piece of info I needed!

Edited by Tuppy1

got it!! thank you! so excited for my first notification LOL thanks for your patience and getting back with the last piece of info I needed!

My pleasure. I'm happy it worked!