Downloading from Nexus 7 (Android) to Garmin 450

4evrCking

Hi,

I have a Nexus 7 Tablet, however I normally download my geocaches from this site to my GPS via a PC or Laptop.

I would like to be able to use my Nexus 7 tablet to connect to this site and then download geocaches to my Garmin Oregon 450. This would be convenient when on the road and during my vacations - I would not have to take a laptop.

I had read on these forums that I could download to a GPS from a Nexus Android tablet if I had a OTG (On The Go) cable for the Nexus. I have got the cable, and confirmed that I can read/write to memory sticks, connect a mouse and keyboard, as well as view movies and pictures from the memory stick.

I then tried going to a geocaching.com cache, connected the Garmin to the Nexus 7 and tried and download the cache to the Garmin 450. The message I got was that the device was not supported.

Further reading on the forums I found that I may need a powered USB hub - I got one, but I still could not download to the Garmin and got the same message.

Does anyone know how to successfully connect a Garmin Oregon 450 to a Android tablet and then download caches from this site to it?

I any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cache4Fun,

Wayne Miller

Edited by 4evrCking

I went to geocaching.com and pulled up a cache and then tried and download it to the Garmin 450. The message I got was that the device was not supported.

It's a little more complicated than the Windows "send to GPS". Get an Android file manager such as the free "Astro". Save the GPX file (from a single cache or from a Pocket Query) to the Android downloads directory. Connect the GPSr, start the file manager, and copy the file from the downloads directory, paste it into the GPX directory on the GPSr.

Edited by kunarion

I went to geocaching.com and pulled up a cache and then tried and download it to the Garmin 450. The message I got was that the device was not supported.

It's a little more complicated than the Windows "send to GPS". Get an Android file manager such as the free "Astro". Save the GPX file (from a single cache or from a Pocket Query) to the Android downloads directory. Connect the GPSr, start the file manager, and copy the file from the downloads directory, paste it into the GPX directory on the GPSr.

Hi Kunarion,

From your post I thought it would be a simple matter of copying files to the Garmin 450 SD card from the download directory, however I can not seem to access the card from my Nexus 7 OTG cable.

I do know the OTG cable is working because when I use "Nexus Media Importer" I can read movies and pictures on another card.

What I did was go to geocaching.com and downloaded a GPX file, it went to the "DOWNLOAD" directory, and I can see it with all the file managers I've tried - "ES FILE EXPLORER", "ASTRO", and "X-Plore".

All the managers show a SD card, however when I select the card, I seem to get the same files as in the root directory, and not the files located on the card. I then connected the SD card to my PC to see if the card works. The card does work and shows the Garmin 450 files and directories. I then powered down the Nexus 7 and powered up again just incase something needed to be reset after installing the file managers, I still had the same problem.

I tried to research what was happening by searching the web, but I did not find any answers - how do I access the SD card from the Nexus 7 ?

I occasionally see reference to the word "rooted", does my Nexus 7 have to be "rooted" to transfer files to the SD card? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne Miller

Edited by 4evrCking

I should have said in my post above that the file manager I use is the full version of Solid Explorer.

Hi Yorkshire Yellow,

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure but I don't think the Samsung has any problems reading SD cards, however, on the other hand, the Nexus 7 normally does not recognize the SD card.

Apparently there is a way to read and write to SD cards from the Nexus 7, but I have not found out how to do it yet.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller

I do know the OTG cable is working because when I use "Nexus Media Importer" I can read movies and pictures on another card.

Is there a Nexus Media Exporter, and does it work?

Is your OTG cable just a USB port for a USB SD card reader? I could experiment, I have an old Nexus 7 laying around.

See this thread about connecting a GPSr or USB device to Android (or iPad) over wifi, using a pocket size router.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=311111

Edited by kunarion

Is there a Nexus Media Exporter, and does it work?

Is your OTG cable just a USB port for a USB SD card reader? I could experiment, I have an old Nexus 7 laying around.

See this thread about connecting a GPSr or USB device to Android (or iPad) over wifi, using a pocket size router.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=311111

Hi Kinarion,

I do have an OTG cable and I have used it with Nexus Media Importer (NMI) so I know it works.

I have found a site that explains how to root a Nexus 7 and also gives a link to the software. I'll give it a try sometime this weekend and see if it will allow me to resd/write to the SD card using one of the file managers. Here is the link:

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-your-nexus-7-tablet-running-android-4-4-kitkat-windows-guide-0150849/

If anyone else has already tried this, please let me know.

Once I get it working, I'll have it added to my Garmin Oregon 450 "How To" document that is posted here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Contact

Thanks for your help,

4evrCking

On an un-rooted Nexus 7, Android file managers (like ES File Explorer) cannot 'see' USB devices, so the SD Card that you can see is only the (emulated) internal SD memory.

Nexus Media Importer and a OTG cable are all that are required to transfer GPX files from internal memory to the Garmin. In NMI preferences, Advanced section, check 'enable writes'

(doing next bit from memory, so allow for errors)

Once GPS is connected, NMI offers a choice of USB device, one for Garmin internal memory and one for Garmin SD card. I use the Garmin SD card. Then, from the NMI menu on the left, select 'Advanced'. This gives Android file structure and the USB file structure in a split screen. Navigate to GPX file in Android download folder, press to select then choose 'Copy' from drop down in upper right corner. In other half navigate to 'GPX' folder on Garmin, then choose 'Paste' from drop down. GPX file should now appear on Garmin. Disconnect GPS and switch on to check all ok.

Disclaimer:

Use this procedure at your own risk as it is a bit of a hack.