Sir, you need to sign that log book

Every year it gets easier to log a geocache and increase your “Found It” count, especially with the introduction of; power trails, flash mobs and event stacking. Despite this, many cachers are intent on claiming a find on caches for which they did not find, or didn’t sign their name in the logbook. I’ve heard rumours of the Canadian Geocaching Alliance creating an elite squad of “GeoPolice” in an attempt to raise awareness and crack down on this foul and most heinous type of petty geocrime. Is there anything being done in your area to curtail the false logging of caches?

64546464web.jpg

Edited by zanadian

Over here we start to require logs in blood. A local biochem company sponsores the DNA tests. So it's almost perfect proof the logger was at GZ him-/herself. And you don't have to mind to bring your own pen, a small sterile needle is all what you need. Doesn't freeze in the cold and doesn't get dirty in the heat as long as it's fresh.

A big plus is the data privacy aspect: only the company, the cache owner and the local reviewer see, who's logging.

At the moment we're just started the proof of concept phase, which may run a year. Starting from April, 1st, next year it may be commercially available then. We start to convince regional cachers into Premium Membership, since somehow it has to be financed then. Talks with open caching platforms are in progress, we may introduce it as an add-on there, too (for low fees).

Plans are to enhance this to sputum and urine/fecal DNA prints to make unique cache logging even easier. A few liberals just think that may open the field for secret drug screening or so. Sounds a bit too far fetched, but - well, has to be adressed somehow.

Please keep me updated with the cache police project, maybe they can be combined!

Edited by Ben0w

In my area we've been down the enforcement road, and have finally come to the conclusion that the cost and trouble of hiring and equipping a well-trained cache police force just could not be sustained. Prisons get expensive over time, and have you seen the equipment bill to outfit a professional SWAT team?!! Ultimately, it was the FBI sting that showed how deeply the Russian Mafia had infiltrated our elite CCC (Cache Cop Corps) that sealed the end of our efforts.

So we've finally decided if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em. We've established a unique, innovative service to post armchair logs for those who can't be bothered to even post from their armchair. At LOGARAMA.COM, it only takes a minute to sign up. Once you're signed up, we'll take care of the rest*, automatically. You no longer have to even identify the caches online. We have the world's largest database of caches that are field-verified to be those least likely to have their paper logs checked, so the fake logs we post on your behalf are unlikely to ever be contested. But even when they are contested, an agent from our global network of licensed witnesses will testify that they were with you at the cache, saw you sign the log, and supply a plausible explanation for the missing signature. Further, our team of elite and well-connected Washington lobbyists is pushing new legislation that will formally endorse "I was there but /didn't have a pen/couldn't open the cache/saw it but couldn't reach it/" as legally equivalent with a pen-on-paper signature. We have also embarked on a public relations initiative that is building legislative support to establish legal equivalence for "I know I was at the site, I just didn't find the cache. It's probably not there."

Log finds in your sleep! Be the first to log 6 million finds! Sign up at LOGARAMA.COM now! Today only: Sign up on April 1 (today) and we'll give you a free smiley on the International Space Station cache!

*Annual fee: $401.14

Edited by beauxeault

Signing a log is no longer a requirement if you have a smartphone. Just use the auto log on the app. "That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache." I delete all NM's posted on my caches. :) :) :)

I see the smilies but I hope that there aren't too many cachers out there that think that using a smartphone to log a cache *online* excuses one from signing the physical log.

Signing a log is no longer a requirement if you have a smartphone. Just use the auto log on the app. "That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache." I delete all NM's posted on my caches. :) :) :)

I see the smilies but I hope that there aren't too many cachers out there that think that using a smartphone to log a cache *online* excuses one from signing the physical log.

Only validated members that don't use a smartphone for geocaching are required to sign a log. That is why I made my listings PMO. :ph34r:

Every year it gets easier to log a geocache and increase your “Found It” count, especially with the introduction of; power trails, flash mobs and event stacking. Despite this, many cachers are intent on claiming a find on caches for which they did not find, or didn’t sign their name in the logbook. I’ve heard rumours of the Canadian Geocaching Alliance creating an elite squad of “GeoPolice” in an attempt to raise awareness and crack down on this foul and most heinous type of petty geocrime. Is there anything being done in your area to curtail the false logging of caches?

It's not a rumor. I'm on the committee which is in charge of this. We take logging very seriously here in the North. We personally make house calls to people who log online, but do not sign the physical logbook. The guy in the photo is actually from my area.

64546464web.jpg

To the gentleman in the photo, I triple dog dare you to drive that Hummer down to Oklahoma and find our cache.

ab65d6b2-3e56-48d9-89f1-7cbcf432e8f0.jpg

:anibad:

p.s. I suspect photoshop in one of these photos (no, really? :lol: ), but it ain't mine.

Edited by hzoi

Check out the "CACHE" above the "POLICE" .... a bit different spacing on different pics, but well very done!

Sorry but I dont see it.

Seems to be police cars in Cache Okla

Look at the space between "CACHE", and "POLICE" in the first 2 pics, and compare the same space in the second 2 pics.

Also, the "CACHE" is a bit too bright in the second 2 pics compared with the rest of the signage.

Check out the "CACHE" above the "POLICE" .... a bit different spacing on different pics, but well very done!

Sorry but I dont see it.

Look at the space between "CACHE", and "POLICE" in the first 2 pics, and compare the same space in the second 2 pics.

Also, the "CACHE" is a bit too bright in the second 2 pics compared with the rest of the signage.

I completely disagree. The CACHE is spaced identically in the first two pics, and identically in the second two pics. It is clearly a different car in each set of pictures. Additionally, the "CACHE" and the "PROTECT & SERVE" in all the pictures is a white-ish color, while the POLICE is a reflective silver.

I say, no photoshop.

Sorry but I dont see it.

I completely disagree. The CACHE is spaced identically in the first two pics, and identically in the second two pics. It is clearly a different car in each set of pictures. Additionally, the "CACHE" and the "PROTECT & SERVE" in all the pictures is a white-ish color, while the POLICE is a reflective silver.

I say, no photoshop.

Pretty sure they are being facetious, since the top photo is clearly shopped, and the other photo is mine, from our cache in Cache.

Edited by hzoi