"Hit the Slopes" accidental discovery

Voreis 4

While we were out looking for a cache deep in the woods near Council Bluffs, IA, my son discovered another cache called "Hit the Slopes." It wasn't hidden very well, basically just sitting on the ground. The log book described it as a letter box (still don't know what that is). I can't find this cache anywhere on the Internet. Does anyone know anything about this cache?

While we were out looking for a cache deep in the woods near Council Bluffs, IA, my son discovered another cache called "Hit the Slopes." It wasn't hidden very well, basically just sitting on the ground. The log book described it as a letter box (still don't know what that is). I can't find this cache anywhere on the Internet. Does anyone know anything about this cache?

A letterbox is a hide n seek game where instead of exchanging trinkets, people exchange stamp images. There should be a rubberstamp in the box, almost always something unique that proves you visited that particular box and most often it is handcarved by the letterbox owner. The logbook will be filled with signature stamps left by the visitors to the letterbox. The visitors carry their own personal letterboxing logbook that they use to collect and preserve letterbox stamp images as momentos of their letterboxing adventures.

The 2 letterboxing databases are AtlasQuest.com and Letterboxing.org

I'll do some searching and will post if I find Hit the Slopes on either of the databases (unless someone finds it before I do).

You may need to google the letterboxing sites. That is a different type of game, using clues instead of GPS coordinates to locate containers.

Atlas Quest was up for a little while last night (it's currently down again), I checked the database including status retired and status unknown but did not find "Hit the Slopes". I also tried the LBNA Basement database - not there either. But letterboxers don't always post their boxes on the web. Some are word-of-mouth. And as TheHarleyRebels suggests, it could be an archived hybrid. If the logbook is full of stamped images - many of them handcarved images then it's likely a non-geocache letterbox. If there's a mix of drawings, a few stamped images - most of them commercial stamps, and mostly written trailnames then it's likely it's an archived geocaching letterbox hybrid.

Do you remember any of the names or dates from the log book? If it is an archived geocache, you could find it by looking up one or more of the cachers who logged it and go through their found caches to see what they logged on that date. That's how I figured out that the cache I found when I was hunting the final for this multi was an older multi that had been taken, then archived, and then returned. (Ironically, the revived multi is still around, and the then-active multi is now archived.)