creative caches in the Midwest

michianajones

I live in southern Michigan and most of the caches here have been pretty easy to find. The places they've been were very nice, and I intend to go back for hiking/fishing, but I was wondering if there were any really challenging caches in the midwest? I saw fuzzy's in fort wayned and i really want to do it, I'm just wondering if there are any others.

If you ever do make it to Fort Wayne, you could also try the Cash Cache. If you collect the clues on foot it makes it a little more challenging, and if you do Clue Two on the same day and park at the archery range rather than the suggested parking, it gets still more challenging. The rating on that cache is 4/2, which might be a little high but is mostly accurate, and that doesn't take into account the difficulty of Clue Two, which is a 2/3 (more like a 2/3.5 if you go through the ravine like we did.)

On the other hand, you'll waste your entire day just doing Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles, so maybe sending you after more caches here would be a bad idea...

warm.gif

quote:
Origianally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

On the other hand, you'll waste your entire day just doing Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles

We have two teams working on puzzle two and neither are making much progress. We swap ideas via e-mail and come up with great theories, just can't seem to get them to work with the actual puzzle. icon_frown.gif

We'll keep at it until we get it though!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:

On the other hand, you'll waste your entire day just doing Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles

We have two teams working on puzzle two and neither are making much progress. We swap ideas via e-mail and come up with great theories, just can't seem to get them to work with the actual puzzle. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Maybe you didn't spend enough time on the first puzzle and it lulled you into a false sense of security. icon_smile.gif

warm.gif

quote:

Maybe you didn't spend enough time on the first puzzle and it lulled you into a false sense of security. icon_smile.gif

warm.gif

quote:
Orginally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Maybe you didn't spend enough time on the first puzzle and it lulled you into a false sense of security.

We've been pouring over the cache listing, along with the puzzle replicas that we made, and satellite photos of potential coordinates (found that to be MUCH easier than checking out what amounts to wild stabs in the dark via personal vehicle). Keep coming back to the statement that there might be clues for future puzzles at previous cache sites. We had talked of going back to the very first stage and looking it over better. Now I know we will! Thanks!

there is a great cache in iowa called the wilcox place cache, it is in very difficult terrain(old strip pits), and makes for a good find, also a really chalenging one is called the unusual ottumwa cache, it is a 10 step puzzle cache and is really fun. Both were made by a friend of mine. icon_razz.gif

there is a great cache in iowa called the wilcox place cache, it is in very difficult terrain(old strip pits), and makes for a good find, also a really chalenging one is called the unusual ottumwa cache, it is a 10 step puzzle cache and is really fun. Both were made by a friend of mine. icon_razz.gif

quote:

quote:

That settles it, we will have to get up to Ft wayne!!!

Bear & Ting

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:

quote:

That settles it, we will have to get up to Ft wayne!!!

Bear & Ting

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I can't say for sure that this area has more creative caches than anywhere else, but I'm sure we're in the top 10. There seems to be a creative cache frenzy going on around here. It's a very competitive thing with cache placers trying to outdo each other. As one of the first cachers in Wisconsin, I marvel at what people are coming up with in terms of themes, puzzles, placement, containers, etc.

With all due respect to Markwell's five star cache, my vote for the best cache in the mid-west still is "The Journal". It's an extremely professional cache that will stretch you mentally and physically. Rcharlier spent a considerable amout of time and effort to create a unique experience.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18508

Well, come to think of it, if Walkin Stick can do it, maybe it isn't that difficult after all.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

quote:
Originally posted by Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC:

Good lord Markwell, you just made my list of caches i never ever under any circumstances want to attempt. I had to close my browser before my brain could melt from math-stupidity. I know my limits...

I've yet to make it down to central Illinois for The Journal (but I do want to see if I can talk my wife into letting me make a day trip this summer (she just started another college class online).

Oh, and by the way, I'm about 3 weeks away from posting another 5 star one that should put Pi to shame.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Only tangentially related to all this, but it appears that Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles is actually solvable. Teams GeoStars and ABC found it sometime last night, only one month and 9 days after we hid it. Congratulations to them all on being the first finders.

warm.gif

You mean we're going to spend part of August making weekly treks to Ft. Wayne once again?!

quote:
By the way, all you Creative Cachers, there's now another good reason to come to Fort Wayne: Earthling Vector Perelandra is a pretty creative puzzle multicache.

Unfortunately we're going to get beat on this one since it seems Mr. Fuzzy and crew are almost done (according to the logs) and we just saw this one tonight. We (teams GeoStars and ABC) are working on a series of caches right now but once completed (shooting for mid-August) we'll be back on the cache hunt trail. Y'all will have to come visit our little area of the state in the not-too-distant future.

quote:

Unfortunately we're going to get beat on this one since it seems Mr. Fuzzy and crew are almost done (according to the logs) and we just saw this one tonight.

Yep, we found the last stage last night at 6:15 PM. This is our first first find since our first find (does that make sense? No? Well, our first find was Lookout, and we were the first to find it. That was the last time we were first to find a cache 'til now.)

warm.gif

After researching this thread's recommendations, the bar has been raised for me. Forget the simple caches. I'm heading for some difficult multi's.

Anyway, in Columbus, we've got some fun ones. ifranz, Pitufo, and BusBoy have really been setting the stage for some cool caching. I'm currently unemployed and have time for sinister activities. I also sell Tupperware, so my supply of cache equipment is endless.