upload clear photo

r.e.s.t.seekers

Hi,

We're trying to use a photo puzzle, where a cacher has to be able to see numbers in a photo. When we look at the photo on the computer, it is quite visible. When the photo is uploaded to the cache page, it loses quality and the numbers needed are fuzzy.

How can we upload the photo while keeping the clarity of the photo?

Sue in Pennsylvania

When a photo is uploaded to a cache page, it seems like the photo is changed. A picture that is clear on the computer becomes fuzzy when uploaded. How can a cache desccription have a clear picture, the same as what was uploaded. We've tried png, various enlargments, using a link to a photo on facebook, and using a link to a Box, which doesn't seem to work at all.

The site will make large photos smaller.

(Both width and height, and size as in file size)

If you make the photograph to a size the site doesn't need to change, the result should be better on the cache page.

What is the best size, then? Does it go by pixels? bytes? inches? We had experimented with enlarging, shrinking, changing to png or jpg.

Please stop posting the same question in new threads! :)

Have you tried saving as a .jpg file?

I'm sorry. I can't figure out how to delete one and thought too late it was in the wrong place. If you can delete one, please do.

You can't delete other posts. Just leave it be-a moderator will move it if necessary.

You said you enlarged the photo-I'll guess you're trying to upload a small picture, and make it bigger. When you enlarge a photo, it loses it's sharpness, and becomes fuzzy. The best you can do is start with a high quality, large size picture. If that's not what you're trying to do, I'm not sure if I can help.

Like this cache?

http://coord.info/GC4YMT9

That's similar to what I did for one of my caches; I made an external link to a decent-sized image. I wanted cachers to be able to print a full-page form if they liked. Otherwise, the text is small and looks bad when scaled up.

However, since I didn't want people to NOT be able to do the cache just because an external site was temporarily down, I added alternate ways to fill it out, including a page re-sized small by the Groundspeak cache page automatic image sizer.

When a photo is uploaded to a cache page, it seems like the photo is changed. A picture that is clear on the computer becomes fuzzy when uploaded. How can a cache desccription have a clear picture, the same as what was uploaded. We've tried png, various enlargments, using a link to a photo on facebook, and using a link to a Box, which doesn't seem to work at all.

I don't know how well you know something like dropbox but in order to link to a file, such as a photo, the file to be shared has to be in a public folder. You can then get a url linking to the file, paste this into the cache page and then users can click it in order to view the file.

Thank you (as usual) Keystone. Thank you to those who offered advice. We tried to add numbers to a photo 640 wide, but it sure looked clumsy. We have the uploaded photo on the cache page with fuzzy numbers and a link to the nicer, number-readable copy also on the cache page.

I've seen a disclaimer on some cache pages when downloading is required. Is the disclaimer needed for a link, too? Something like Groundspeak has not virus checked this?