They disabled all of their caches. Rude to ask why?

mrreet

Recently a local cacher archived all of his ~20 puzzle caches. Is it rude to ask why? If it isn't would it be better to send a direct message or ask whats up in a local forum?

Given that over the winter I had been solving them with plans to go to GZ in the spring, I am just very curious.

Recently a local cacher archived all of his ~20 puzzle caches. Is it rude to ask why? If it isn't would it be better to send a direct message or ask whats up in a local forum?

Given that over the winter I had been solving them with plans to go to GZ in the spring, I am just very curious.

Why would it be rude to ask? I'm sure he would probably share the facebook link that spoiled all of them.

Why would it be rude to ask? I'm sure he would probably share the facebook link that spoiled all of them.

I don't think it would be rude to ask? It might be rude, however, to insist that the CO keep their caches active if they've decided (for whatever reason) that they want to archive all their caches.

Maybe the cache owner is moving.

Maybe the cache owner has decided to leave the game.

Maybe the cache owner had decided that they just don't want to be a cache owner any more (but might still want to participate in the game as a seeker).

Not rude to ask, although to reiterate NYPaddleCacher's comment in a different way, I'd approach it more as an attempt commiserating their loss, whatever caused it. If you liked the puzzles, you could ask permission to republish the caches as your own, so others could continue enjoying them even though it won't help you get a find out of it. (Adopting would have been cool, but since they're already archived, that's not a viable option.) Well, technically you don't have to ask to steal their idea, but not doing so would be kinda rude.

I'm sad when a puzzle I enjoyed gets archived before I get a chance to seek the cache, but that's just the way it goes. At least I had fun with the puzzle. (I've been know to solve puzzles for caches that were already archived, just for fun.)

Since they archived all their caches, it's likely that something upset them. That being the case, they may not want to talk about it, or they may be suspicious if you ask. I would use a private message rather than a local forum, and I would word it something along the lines of...I really enjoyed your puzzles and am sorry to see them go. If you're willing to share your reasons for archiving them, I'd be interested in knowing, but if you'd rather not discuss it, that's no problem. I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on the puzzles over the years.

Since they archived all their caches, it's likely that something upset them. That being the case, they may not want to talk about it, or they may be suspicious if you ask.

This is sorta my spin on this, too.

We had a couple of brothers that had caches all over the area. Pretty good ones, too. But, our local "Cache Cop/Super Cacher"---just ask him---decided to give them all sorts of heartburn. Mainly cuz he wanted their spots.

So, they archived and picked up everything in one day.

That was in 2004. To this day, they won't have anything to do with caching, or cachers.

Since they archived all their caches, it's likely that something upset them. That being the case, they may not want to talk about it, or they may be suspicious if you ask.

This is sorta my spin on this, too.

We had a couple of brothers that had caches all over the area. Pretty good ones, too. But, our local "Cache Cop/Super Cacher"---just ask him---decided to give them all sorts of heartburn. Mainly cuz he wanted their spots.

So, they archived and picked up everything in one day.

That was in 2004. To this day, they won't have anything to do with caching, or cachers.

That's sad--that one person could/would spoil things for others, not just for the cacher-brothers but for all the cachers in the area as well.

Not knowing the context ... it's always possible that the CO decided to stop actively caching, and is doing the responsible thing by removing their listings and caches in order to leave the space available for future cachers. Or, the CO decided they had too many caches placed to maintain effectively, and decided to eliminate a bunch of them in order to reduce their maintenance load. Or, in the case of puzzles, the CO decided that the puzzles had reached the end of their useful "life" (i.e. weren't attracting any more visitors)

The other theories posted above are always possible, of course. But all of them had a sad tone to them. It's always possible that this sort of disabling comes from good and noble motives.

I think it all depends on how you ask them. Just like most situations in life and conversations.

Hey Dumas, i just solved all of your puzzles and now your caches are disabled. Why did you do something stupid like that? Not so good.

Hi there neighbor cacher, I noticed you have disabled your caches recently. I have really enjoyed solving those puzzles and was planning to go find them in the upcoming weeks. I hope everything's OK and was just wondering why? Is there anything I can do to help you? Pretty good.