Mixing GPS Data from Garmin GLO with my other Garmin Handheld Units?

So I have accumulated a bunch of global waypoints from my travels over the past 6 years with my Garmin 60CSX and Garmin 62s. I have read that the waypoints from those two handheld units can be merged via Garmin BaseCamp.

I know there is no way to save waypoints with the Garmin GLO. Are there any apps/mapping software out there that can save waypoints through the use of the Garmin GLO and then I can merge them later with Garmin BaseCamp?

Of course, there are hundreds of programs that can save waypoints and be read by Basecamp.

It would help if you told us what type of device you are using to connect to the GLO. The GLO is a simple GPS and it can connect to a lot of things.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I intend to use it with both my Nexus 7 and my soon to arrive Lenovo ThinkPad 8 (Windows 8.1 tablet).

Curious why, if you have a handheld GPS, you'd want to use a tablet or laptop for gathering coordinate data instead. It's so easy to hit "mark waypoint" or save a track and transfer it to your computer via Basecamp where it can then be exported back to any other GPS or into another file format (examples: KML for google maps/earth, csv or tabbed text for import into a GIS system).

I know that GPS navigation apps exist for mobile devices that allow you to export tracks and waypoints just as you would in a GPS. I can't list any off the top of my head because I don't use them, but do a search in the Google Play store and you'll get some. On your laptop, you may be able to read the GPS signal from the GLO directly from basecamp and save your position in real time. But again, I can't see a practical application for this when it's very cumbersome to carry a laptop into the field, let alone while it's open and running.

Curious why, if you have a handheld GPS, you'd want to use a tablet or laptop for gathering coordinate data instead. It's so easy to hit "mark waypoint" or save a track and transfer it to your computer via Basecamp where it can then be exported back to any other GPS or into another file format (examples: KML for google maps/earth, csv or tabbed text for import into a GIS system).

I know that GPS navigation apps exist for mobile devices that allow you to export tracks and waypoints just as you would in a GPS. I can't list any off the top of my head because I don't use them, but do a search in the Google Play store and you'll get some. On your laptop, you may be able to read the GPS signal from the GLO directly from basecamp and save your position in real time. But again, I can't see a practical application for this when it's very cumbersome to carry a laptop into the field, let alone while it's open and running.

I don't always bring the handheld out with me. I didn't buy the GLO for saving waypoints as it would be a waste of money just for that purpose.

The ThinkPad 8 isn't a laptop nor is it a hybrid. It's a Windows 8.1 tablet.

I don't want to be rude, but the point of this thread is to discuss software/apps that will satisfy my needs and not on the practicality of what I intend to do.

I'm looking for an app that will save waypoints that can be read by BaseCamp.

Does Garmin have an app for Windows or Android that can also record a track at a 1 second interval and also mimic the "auto" interval found in their handheld units?

Both Delorme Street Atlas and Delorme Topo North America in the various versions will save your spaghetti in 1 second *.gpl track logs of up to 5000 points per file on Windows 7. Waypoints can also be marked and saved by depressing the "M" keypad key shortcut to mark them.

Either recent Delorme Windows 7 App can export in *.gpx format, although the Topo10 NA app is more powerful and has a track profiling view and 3D mapping. Since Topo is the preferred application, you might seriously consider a bundle that includes the PN-30 or PN-60 gps devices for added convenience for a "few" dollars more.

Then would you please report back whether that all works seamlessly on your Win 8.1 Thinkpad tablet. Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough... what are your needs that you need to do this directly on the computer and not through a GPS? You already own a couple of GPS's, and they do this for you. And you can transfer the waypoints and tracks to your computer via Basecamp or any number of other programs. It just seems like you're making this harder than it has to be, unless there's some advantage to using a computer as a GPS that I'm missing.

...an app for Windows or Android that will save waypoints ... can also record a track at a 1 second interval and also mimic the "auto" interval found in (Garmin) handheld units?

Dunno what Garmin has, but GPS Logger might do what you need.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used the app before? Can I set the recording interval to 1 second?

I don't see any ways to save a waypoint in the app store's screenshots.

I'm looking for an app that will save waypoints that can be read by BaseCamp.

Does Garmin have an app for Windows or Android that can also record a track at a 1 second interval and also mimic the "auto" interval found in their handheld units?

Both Delorme Street Atlas and Delorme Topo North America in the various versions will save your spaghetti in 1 second *.gpl track logs of up to 5000 points per file on Windows 7. Waypoints can also be marked and saved by depressing the "M" keypad key shortcut to mark them.

Either recent Delorme Windows 7 App can export in *.gpx format, although the Topo10 NA app is more powerful and has a track profiling view and 3D mapping. Since Topo is the preferred application, you might seriously consider a bundle that includes the PN-30 or PN-60 gps devices for added convenience for a "few" dollars more.

Then would you please report back whether that all works seamlessly on your Win 8.1 Thinkpad tablet. Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comment, but I don't know why you used that rolling eyes emoticon.

What's the difference between the PN-60 handheld and something like my Garmin 60CSX? What's the PN-60 used for?

Edited by Sgt_Strider

SgtStrider, i haven't tried GPS Logger myself. From a quick read of the product blurbs though, it does seem to do what you asked.

Search the Google Play store for GPS apps that mention waypoints, tracks, and GPX in their product description:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Waypoints%20tracks%20gpx&c=apps

Then, just go buy and try some. Many are free, some are a few bucks. Pocket change compared to some of the suggestions already made here and the collection of gear you already have.