MTF?

Yeah there are so many "MTF" meanings on he interwebs but none are relating back to geocaching. I've searched it and found the acronym dropped in other forums, logs, descriptions, and titles but no references what it actually means.

"Montecito Trails Foundation" seems to be in California, so I guess it isn't what you're asking? But it was the one that seemed the most closely related to Geocaching, upon a quick google.

Maybe you could add some context by providing some examples of how it was used. I was thinking perhaps Made The Find.

I'd say Minute-To-Find seems the best answer, just because it is in the cache logs and titles

Something like Park and Grab, away from the parking spot.

Looks like more than one could be right. Another reason why I too,hate them. Most of the time I take a few extra seconds to actually say thank you for the cache. In this instance the cacher was saying MTF=MORE TO FOLLOW. It was a temp log until he/she could edit it later. He/she is from Georgia so I'm not sure if it's a regional thing as to what your acronym means or what? I do like minute to find or moderately tacky find though too.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but will if no one knows - what does SL mean on a log? I've seen it along with other acronyms.

Is there a thread on this forum that lists acronyms used on logs?

Here's a list on the web by a long time charter member. But I'd consider many of the terms dated. Like when I started, YAPIDKA was common, and I haven't heard it in, I don't know, about 6 years. A lot of terms have been shown to be highly regional. Some examples that come to mind are "QEF" (Quick Easy Find) in British Columbia, and "Beacon" for an obvious cache location as you're approaching GZ, in Minneapolis/St. Paul. As often heard muttered by the two Geocaching Vloggers on YouTube who are from there. Of course you go 200 miles in any direction, and no one has any clue what they're talking about. :)

Didn't want to start a new thread, but will if no one knows - what does SL mean on a log? I've seen it along with other acronyms.

Here's a list on the web by a long time charter member. But I'd consider many of the terms dated. Like when I started, YAPIDKA was common, and I haven't heard it in, I don't know, about 6 years. A lot of terms have been shown to be highly regional. Some examples that come to mind are "QEF" (Quick Easy Find) in British Columbia, and "Beacon" for an obvious cache location as you're approaching GZ, in Minneapolis/St. Paul. As often heard muttered by the two Geocaching Vloggers on YouTube who are from there. Of course you go 200 miles in any direction, and no one has any clue what they're talking about. :)

Thanks for the link. SL means "Signed Log"

Thanks for the link. SL means "Signed Log"

Oops, sorry, I could have said that, instead of making you go to the website. :laughing:

Like I say, that list by Prime Suspect is a little dated. Anyone have any other links to a Geocaching Glossary?

EDIT: By the way, I'm not saying his list is bad or anything, there's just some obscure and dated stuff on it. If you were to ask me what might be missing, I couldn't even tell you. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Anyone have any other links to a Geocaching Glossary?
Well, there's the Cacheopedia Glossary...

You again and Cacheopedia. :laughing: You know, when we talked about that 8 days ago or so, I went back 2 days later, and it was offline again!! And was for at least 2 days, although I don't check every day. Assuming it stays up, do I need an account? There's a page I'd like to edit, but when it was up, it didn't appear I could without permission from the site owner.

You again and Cacheopedia. :laughing: You know, when we talked about that 8 days ago or so, I went back 2 days later, and it was offline again!! And was for at least 2 days, although I don't check every day. Assuming it stays up, do I need an account? There's a page I'd like to edit, but when it was up, it didn't appear I could without permission from the site owner.
Yeah, we were getting too much spam, so he had to turn off the ability to edit without creating an account. Then we were still getting too much spam, so he had to turn off the ability to create an account without his permission. But I would love to have someone other than me adding/editing content.