Springfield ILLINOIS Geocachers

Seth!

If you know the difference between North Grand Avenue East and South Grand Avenue West, then this thread is for you!

I'm going to be back to the L of L during the first weekend in October. I jokingly said to one of my buddies here in Seattle that I should post an event cache at my mom's house and see how many people come. But then I thought, hey, there ARE geocachers out there. So, I'm not going to have an event at Mom's but how many people would be interested in splitting a pitcher or something like that? I'm thinking the evening of Saturday, October 5 or maybe Friday the 4th. We could swap geocaching stories or talk about detassling corn. (Okay, I never really did that.)

If you run out of fingers when you count the number of names that The Wooden Nickel has had, then you're as old as I am! (What is it called now?) I'd like suggestions on places to meet. Wouldn't have to be a pub, of course.

Oh, my friends told me to say, "Look out Springfield, I'm coming to town and I'm going to find ALL of your geocaches." Hee hee.

- Seth!

Not only do I know N Grand Ave East and West and South Grand East and West I also know that North St is on the south side of town. The get-together won't be at the Red Coach. Closed one night and never opened again.

There's a few GC in the area altho I haven't run into any of them yet.

BTW, where was the Wooden Nickle located? On Wabash?

..one of several places claiming to be the birthplace of the horseshoe as I recall. Say...The Barrelhead would be a good choice. And that IS on Wabash and they serve horseshoes. The Wooden Nickel was the littl bar on the southwest corner of 6th and Monroe, across from Jimmy's Sub Shoppe. (Is Jimmy's still there? It used to be Allen's Cigar Store back in the day.)

I've driven down North Street oh so many times. I'll be on it again, I guess, when I go to do that cache on the rails to trails trail. Apparently it starts at MacArthur and Wabash. Speaking of MacArthur Blvd, is Penny Lane still there? Gee, I could do this all night...

- !

quote:

The Barrelhead would be a good choice. And that IS on Wabash and they serve horseshoes. The Wooden Nickel was the littl bar on the southwest corner of 6th and Monroe, across from Jimmy's Sub Shoppe. (Is Jimmy's still there? It used to be Allen's Cigar Store back in the day.)

I've driven down North Street oh so many times. I'll be on it again, I guess, when I go to do that cache on the rails to trails trail. Apparently it starts at MacArthur and Wabash. Speaking of MacArthur Blvd, is Penny Lane still there? Gee, I could do this all night...

- !

Jimmy's is still there. Another bar where the Wooden Nickle use to be. Cafe Brio or something similar. Only been in it once. Barrelhead still there but now different owners. Still draws a pretty good crowd. Penny Lane still there. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18348 for my 05/27/02 entry. There's the pix of their wall.

I didn't frequent Penny Lane, mind you, but I did buy my darts there. I was playing darts the other night and mentioned to my wife that I wondered if PL was still around.

New ownership of the Barrelhead wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I have a Barrelhead story for you sometime...So, where's bsmalley? He should be chiming in here before long. I think there are some other Central IL geocachers: JCFans, Jeepster, mdmax371, GoodHunting, trex05, TheGentrys2001, Scout65, and Conch. Did I miss anyone? Oh, there's my dad, RichardL. He hasn't done any geocaching on the home turf yet. I'll rememdy that. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't frequent Penny Lane, mind you, but I did buy my darts there. I was playing darts the other night and mentioned to my wife that I wondered if PL was still around.

New ownership of the Barrelhead wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I have a Barrelhead story for you sometime...So, where's bsmalley? He should be chiming in here before long. I think there are some other Central IL geocachers: JCFans, Jeepster, mdmax371, GoodHunting, trex05, TheGentrys2001, Scout65, and Conch. Did I miss anyone? Oh, there's my dad, RichardL. He hasn't done any geocaching on the home turf yet. I'll rememdy that. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know about all the cachers you mentioned in your orinal note, but I do no that Jeepster is from the Peoria area, but he does get around when he is out caching. If you are wanting to get a group of cachers together while you are in town, a few of us here in the Peoria/Bloomington area might be able to get down there if we would know when and where. I don't know my way around Springfield very well, but I suppose I might be able to use my GPSr to get me there. icon_razz.gif

I don't know about all the cachers you mentioned in your orinal note, but I do no that Jeepster is from the Peoria area, but he does get around when he is out caching. If you are wanting to get a group of cachers together while you are in town, a few of us here in the Peoria/Bloomington area might be able to get down there if we would know when and where. I don't know my way around Springfield very well, but I suppose I might be able to use my GPSr to get me there. icon_razz.gif

I'm about 2 hours from Springfield...close enough to have to hit it about 4 or 5 times a year. I'd love to meet up there, but my wife insists on having our 3rd child sometime that week and I guess I have to be there for it (you'd think I'd have credit for being there for the first two!). So, I'm afraid I can't make it.

I'm looking forward to getting to a picnic someday. Hopefully next summer will work out better.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

I'd love to meet up there, but my wife insists on having our 3rd child sometime that week and I guess I have to be there for it (you'd think I'd have credit for being there for the first two!).

When my wife went into labor with my 2nd I asked her if I needed to be there for the birth. I thought I was going to be out of town on work. She replied "You don't have to be there for the birth. You weren't there for the conception."

Women in labor can be mean!

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

I've driven down North Street oh so many times. I'll be on it again, I guess, when I go to do that cache on the rails to trails trail.

- !

Depending on how far you want to walk you might want to start at the other end. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll do my best to make it to a get togeather. Keep me posted when and where. Met quite a few of the "Peoria" crowd at a picnic last June (good group) but no other Springfield folks made it. I think our numbers are growing so It would be fun to meet them in person.

Bob

GoodHunting

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

I've driven down North Street oh so many times. I'll be on it again, I guess, when I go to do that cache on the rails to trails trail.

- !

Depending on how far you want to walk you might want to start at the other end. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll do my best to make it to a get togeather. Keep me posted when and where. Met quite a few of the "Peoria" crowd at a picnic last June (good group) but no other Springfield folks made it. I think our numbers are growing so It would be fun to meet them in person.

Bob

GoodHunting

After looking at the map, I came to that realization.

I'll post something here next week, re: an informal get-together. It won't be an event cache, just a date/time to meet at a pub.

While I've got someone reading this, if there are any Travel Bugs in Central IL that need to go west, drop them in a geocache in Sangamon County and I'll grab them when I am in town.

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

ACK, my wife just reminded me that we are tied up the first weekend in October icon_mad.gif

On a brighter note I do have a TB that started in So. California to come to Springfield, and I think it wants to go back home. I need to hurry up and take some pictures and get it to a cache. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend.

GoodHunting

ACK, my wife just reminded me that we are tied up the first weekend in October icon_mad.gif

On a brighter note I do have a TB that started in So. California to come to Springfield, and I think it wants to go back home. I need to hurry up and take some pictures and get it to a cache. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend.

GoodHunting

Well, the response has been pretty quiet. If anyone wants to meet up, I'll be out and about in the Springfield area. all weekend. Fire off an e-mail to me. Thanks to GoodHunting for dropping off that Travel Bug. I'll pick it up and will be placing several more in the area. I would really like to grab several from Springfield, so if you've got 'em, stick them in a geocache!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

HERE I AM!!! icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, I haven't read the discussions in quite some time so today (October 5th) I find out about geocachers wanting to get together. UGH! Oh well, I have to work tomorrow and going to a bar on a work night is not a good idea for me. icon_smile.gif I do however want to go on the record as saying, I really would like to see a Central Illinois Geocaching event soon.

HERE I AM!!! icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, I haven't read the discussions in quite some time so today (October 5th) I find out about geocachers wanting to get together. UGH! Oh well, I have to work tomorrow and going to a bar on a work night is not a good idea for me. icon_smile.gif I do however want to go on the record as saying, I really would like to see a Central Illinois Geocaching event soon.

Well, I did it. In spite of United's best efforts to keep me out of Springfield, I came, I saw, and I conquered. That is, I found all seven of the geocaches in Sangamon County. Well, now there are ten.

I hope that you'll enjoy my new geocaches. I was only able to grab one Travel Bug on my visit, but I left five. So PLEASE take good care of them. Most have goals and need to move out of the area sooner than later. "Kate's Bug" is in Urban Bounty and needs to get to PA by Christmas.

I'll look forward to reading your log entries, so go find them!

(I was at The Alamo [formerly Kane's] on Saturday night. Saw a good band--Spongeworthy. I made a brief stop at The Barrelhead on Sunday evening.)

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

BTW, I noticed this log entry on a Springfield geocache page:

quote:
June 22 by ________ (27 found)

A hot day to spend in the woods, but was worth the trip. The actual cache was about 20 feet North from where the listed coordinates said it was. This is based on the readings from 2 top of the line Garmin GPS units....

Isn't it nice to see that an expert with a zero-error GPSr visited the geocache! Riiiight! Luckily this was by an out-of-town visitor. Still, it's pretty snotty.

For what it's worth, I took a boatload of averages with two GPSr's on the ones I placed this weekend. I'm not going to claim that the coordinates are dead on, but I gave it a shot. For the ones that had large margins of error, I gave detailed descriptions. So no whining! icon_wink.gif

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

BTW, I noticed this log entry on a Springfield geocache page:

quote:
June 22 by ________ (27 found)

A hot day to spend in the woods, but was worth the trip. The actual cache was about 20 feet North from where the listed coordinates said it was. This is based on the readings from 2 top of the line Garmin GPS units....

Isn't it nice to see that an expert with a zero-error GPSr visited the geocache! Riiiight! Luckily this was by an out-of-town visitor. Still, it's pretty snotty.

For what it's worth, I took a boatload of averages with two GPSr's on the ones I placed this weekend. I'm not going to claim that the coordinates are dead on, but I gave it a shot. For the ones that had large margins of error, I gave detailed descriptions. So no whining! icon_wink.gif

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif