Finding old caches along a route?

So, in a couple of weeks, the family is heading on a road trip around Lake Erie (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ontario). My dear wife is putting most of the itinerary together, but is quite happy to include some geocaching diversions along the way.

I know that I can create pocket queries that would give me the closest caches to a defined route. Certainly I'll be doing some of that as part of our trip preparations. But I'm also wondering if there's a way for me to find just "old" caches close to the route. While I'm not formally trying to do the Jasmer challenge just yet, I'm certainly open to it ... and if I can pick up some old caches with having to do much extra work, so much the better.

So, how do you find "old" caches in a region?

(okay, before someone asks ... looking at the holes in my Jasmer grid, it looks like anything older than 3/2007 would be of interest, with obvious interest in the oldest caches ...)

Caches along the route don't have a date option. Regular PQ's do, but I think the OP was asking about CAR. I suspect the answer is spelled G-S-A-K.

It seems that the PQ based on CAAR has been improved since the last time I used it, which was some years ago. All of the regular PQ criteria is available, including a date range.

If you go to Hide and Seek a Cache, click on New York, all caches in New York are listed. Click on Date hidden, and it will show the oldest caches first. Hmm... I still need to go looking for The Spot.

You've been talking about going for The Spot for a while now. According to the latest weather forecasts it looks like we're finally going to get a break from this long winter. There still may be some patches of snow around but this weekend might be a good time to go find The Spot.

Since it's the 4th oldest active cache in the world, you can be sure that no caches have been archived by land managers in order to place "The Spot".

If you go to Hide and Seek a Cache, click on New York, all caches in New York are listed. Click on Date hidden, and it will show the oldest caches first. Hmm... I still need to go looking for The Spot.

You've been talking about going for The Spot for a while now. According to the latest weather forecasts it looks like we're finally going to get a break from this long winter. There still may be some patches of snow around but this weekend might be a good time to go find The Spot.

Since it's the 4th oldest active cache in the world, you can be sure that no caches have been archived by land managers in order to place "The Spot".

5.5 or 6 hours each way? Plus I want State Game Lands 101. A week's vacation (and picking up some PA counties.) Maybe this year. And there are other considerations that prevented us going last year.

I thought it was not possible to use an unvalidated account, or did I miss something? A beginner logged

First find!!!
on a cache missing for ages and 16 DNF and I felt like helping him on the way - until I noticed he had a non-validated account :(

Oh well..

Mrs. Terratin

5.5 or 6 hours each way? Plus I want State Game Lands 101. A week's vacation (and picking up some PA counties.) Maybe this year. And there are other considerations that prevented us going last year.

There probably is a Pa. State Gamelands #101, but you're not going to find a September 2000 placed Geocache there. :laughing: Only about 5 miles one way off of I-90 Exit 29, the OP would find themselves at the parking area for State Gamelands #109. Only about 30 miles directly South of that, but with a considerable detour off of I-90, they would find themselves at the parking area for The December 2000 placed Stone Wall Stash.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I thought it was not possible to use an unvalidated account, or did I miss something? A beginner logged

First find!!!
on a cache missing for ages and 16 DNF and I felt like helping him on the way - until I noticed he had a non-validated account :(

Oh well..

Mrs. Terratin

Unvalidated accounts are a sore point around here. The Frog does not want to inconvenience newbie smartphone users with getting an email and validating the account before being able to log. So you can log even though your not validated.

I find bookmark lists really helpful when doing my travel planning.

If you want to focus on pre 2007 hides then GSAK with filters is the simplest. Don't forget you can sort any search result page simply by clicking the header at the top of the column. Click 'Placed' twice to show all nearby caches with the oldest first.

I'm really trying to figure out what the last six posts have to do with the topic?

Terratin obviously replied to the wrong topic. HOWEVER, anyone talking about State Gamelands#109 or Stone Wall Stash is totally on topic, as they are 5 and 30 miles respectively off the OP's route. They are both 2000 placed caches.