Indy cachers?

Guest estranho

Guest estranho

I'm just wondering if any cachers from the Indianapolis area use the message boards. I'm fairly new to the area and have loved finding parks that are close to me that I never knew about and I'd like to see some more difficule caches in the area and would like to plant a few of my own, but I'm not sure if anyone else would be interested in searching for caches with a higher difficulty level since there don't seem to be very many around.

Anyway, if some people from the area would post a few ideas or their thoughts I'd appreciate it.

-estranho

Guest bluespreacher

I'm from Indy, and I'm new to geochaching. I have been enjoying many of the caches here locally. I'm not sure how ready I am for a really difficult cache. I guess my idea is a longish hike and clues to take me the last 30 feet. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'd sure give a more challenging cache a try if it were around.

Bluespreacher

Guest bluespreacher

I'm from Indy, and I'm new to geochaching. I have been enjoying many of the caches here locally. I'm not sure how ready I am for a really difficult cache. I guess my idea is a longish hike and clues to take me the last 30 feet. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'd sure give a more challenging cache a try if it were around.

Bluespreacher

Guest estranho

Great! I was starting to wonder if there was anyone from Indy who checked the message board.

About the more difficult caches, I just don't like driving for an hour to find that I've parked within just a couple hundred feet from the cache... it's still rewarding, but too much time in the car and not enough time in the woods.

Thanks for the input!

-estranho

Guest Metagirrl

Hey- I'm an Indy area cacher too icon_smile.gif Actually, Estranho, I picked up your Seattle Snoopy travelbug yesterday. Planning on sending him westward on sunday! As far as difficult caches, go for it! I'd love to have a challenge. I have a couple of caches in the planning stages, but am waiting to get a new, more accurate GPS to place them... I use a vintage Magellan Pioneer (1998), and it only carries 2 dec. places for the minutes..

Guest Metagirrl

Hey- I'm an Indy area cacher too icon_smile.gif Actually, Estranho, I picked up your Seattle Snoopy travelbug yesterday. Planning on sending him westward on sunday! As far as difficult caches, go for it! I'd love to have a challenge. I have a couple of caches in the planning stages, but am waiting to get a new, more accurate GPS to place them... I use a vintage Magellan Pioneer (1998), and it only carries 2 dec. places for the minutes..

If any of you Indy caches see my travel bug ITSA WOODY (from Toy Story)in a cache, please move him along. He was placed in Lucifers Spine in Oct., someone went to pick him up, he was gone. Thanks

Reviving an old thread (Hi metagirrl!)

I've also been poking around for more difficult stuff... Shae and I haven't found more than a few caches. They've been very fun but we're both ready to try something more adventurous.

I have an idea for a cache on the Knobstone Trail - I've through-hiked it a few times and I know it like the back of my hand. I can think of a few really cool spots to hide that would probably require a backpack and an overnight stay for most people. I'm planning on hiking it again this summer - and I thought of packing along some microcaches to place at intervals along the nearly 60 miles of trail on the KT.

Would others in Indiana be interested in caches like that, that require good long treks? Personally, I'd have a ball - but then I'm a backpacker...

-- Kit

quote:
Originally posted by KITandSHAE:

I've also been poking around for more difficult stuff... Shae and I haven't found more than a few caches. They've been very fun but we're both ready to try something more adventurous.

I have an idea for a cache on the Knobstone Trail -

... snip ...

Would others in Indiana be interested in caches like that, that require good long treks? Personally, I'd have a ball - but then I'm a backpacker...

-- Kit

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing! Had my KT map out this morning. I'm not as familiar with the KT as you are, but it is in some of the roughest country around here. icon_eek.gif

Is the Pixely Knob cache on the KT? I haven't gotten it yet, but I think Metagirrl has.

At any rate, I decided to hide some caches like I'd want to hunt. I've been enjoying the easy and urban caches, but it's time to do more. Let's knock ourselves out! icon_biggrin.gif

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by KITandSHAE:

I have an idea for a cache on the Knobstone Trail -

... snip ...

-- Kit

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing! Had my KT map out this morning. I'm not as familiar with the KT as you are, but it is in some of the roughest country around here. icon_eek.gif

Is the Pixely Knob cache on the KT? I haven't gotten it yet, but I think Metagirrl has.

At any rate, I decided to hide some caches like I'd want to hunt. I've been enjoying the easy and urban caches, but it's time to do more. Let's knock ourselves out! icon_biggrin.gif

Bluespreacher

At any rate, I decided to hide some caches like I'd want to hunt. I've been enjoying the easy and urban caches, but it's time to do more.

quote:
It is in some of the roughest country around here.

No kidding! I've had more than my fair share of close calls out there. Let's just say I've learned that you've really got to carry a LOT of water there in the summer!

quote:
Is the Pixely Knob cache on the KT?

Hmm. The trail crosses Pixely Knob between the New Chapel and Jackson Trailheads, but I don't think it actually goes up Pixely Knob. I could be wrong, a lot of those hills look the same after crossing 10 of them in a day. I'm going to have to go get that cache sometime!

quote:
Let's knock ourselves out!

I can't wait to go out on the KT again. I broke my arm really badly earlier this month - so I haven't been doing any difficult hiking lately. But I'm champing at the bit to take a long, long walk. Hopefully when I heal up a bit, a couple caches will appear later this spring.

-- Kit

(Team KITandSHAE)

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

(Hi Kit and Bluespreacher!)

What's up with this? I'm away from the forums for a couple of days, and you guys go and steal my cache ideas! icon_smile.gif Just Kidding, but It's pretty funny, 'cause I was going to hike the KT a couple of weeks ago, and was considering placing a series of caches that would serve as clues to a final multicache... Finding the final cache would pretty much require a thru-hike, although it could be done in sections... Whaddya think of that? Maybe we should work together and pool ideas for a nifty group of caches down there icon_smile.gif I've never hiked the trail before, but I'm looking forward to doing it soon!

As for Pixley Knob, no it's not actually on the trail, but fairly close, and certainly accessible from the trail... would either have to bushwack, or take the pixley road where it crosses the trail. I've got the spots marked on my KT maps...There are a couple of other caches in the general vicinity too...

Metagirrl

Metagirrl@hotmail.com

What's up with this? I'm away from the forums for a couple of days, and you guys go and steal my cache ideas! icon_smile.gif Just Kidding, but It's pretty funny, 'cause I was going to hike the KT a couple of weeks ago, and was considering placing a series of caches that would serve as clues to a final multicache... Finding the final cache would pretty much require a thru-hike, although it could be done in sections... Whaddya think of that? Maybe we should work together and pool ideas for a nifty group of caches down there icon_smile.gif I've never hiked the trail before, but I'm looking forward to doing it soon!

As for Pixley Knob, no it's not actually on the trail, but fairly close, and certainly accessible from the trail... would either have to bushwack, or take the pixley road where it crosses the trail. I've got the spots marked on my KT maps...There are a couple of other caches in the general vicinity too...

Metagirrl

Metagirrl@hotmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Metagirrl:

Metagirrl

Metagirrl@hotmail.com

Sorry, metagirrl, Didn't mean to steal your caches! I've not been on the KT, but I have hidden some caches in remote, but ( I think ) interesting places. It seems like most folks around here don't want to hike too far.

I'd really like to see some more challenging caches. Of course, that's just to a certain point.

See you out there,

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by Metagirrl:

Metagirrl

Metagirrl@hotmail.com

Sorry, metagirrl, Didn't mean to steal your caches! I've not been on the KT, but I have hidden some caches in remote, but ( I think ) interesting places. It seems like most folks around here don't want to hike too far.

I'd really like to see some more challenging caches. Of course, that's just to a certain point.

See you out there,

Bluespreacher

I spent half a day looking for one of Bluespreachers caches. I didn't find it but enjoyed the day. I asked to put a cache in a remote part of a state park, (Turkey Run) and was denied. I think the chase is the fun part of Geo caching. I don't think we have many hard caches in the state. But will seek them out.

Wow, I've been away from the forums for several weeks and I come back to find my post revived... it fills me with an odd kind of pride icon_smile.gifAs I stated in the original post I am fairly new to the area so I'm still trying to find 'the perfect place' and so far I haven't found it. But I was working on a cache container and failed miserably at that... imagine a cache container that just won't open and you know what I have icon_redface.gif Guess I'll just stick with ammo cases. Anyway, lately I have been caching at night to increase the difficulty a little and have really enjoyed it, I'm trying to think of a way that would require someone to hunt a cache at night to increase the challenge.

Also, the idea of a cache hunt that requires backpacking in and possibly spending the night on the trail sounds like a great idea, I'd definately be up for that... now I just have to start bugging my friends to try to get one of them to come along with me, it's like trying to pull teeth to get my friends to even step into the woods, let alone spend the night.

Wow, I've been away from the forums for several weeks and I come back to find my post revived... it fills me with an odd kind of pride icon_smile.gifAs I stated in the original post I am fairly new to the area so I'm still trying to find 'the perfect place' and so far I haven't found it. But I was working on a cache container and failed miserably at that... imagine a cache container that just won't open and you know what I have icon_redface.gif Guess I'll just stick with ammo cases. Anyway, lately I have been caching at night to increase the difficulty a little and have really enjoyed it, I'm trying to think of a way that would require someone to hunt a cache at night to increase the challenge.

Also, the idea of a cache hunt that requires backpacking in and possibly spending the night on the trail sounds like a great idea, I'd definately be up for that... now I just have to start bugging my friends to try to get one of them to come along with me, it's like trying to pull teeth to get my friends to even step into the woods, let alone spend the night.

quote:
Originally posted by estranho:

I'm trying to think of a way that would require someone to hunt a cache at night to increase the challenge.

I’ve got an idea for your “night only” cache. On an outdoors show, they had a nifty little product that was simply office type, thumb tacks with reflector tape wrapped around them. You could easily make these yourself and place them at lease 8 feet in a tree, (or wherever). Place a microcache at the base or somewhere on this tree. The microcache contains the coordinates for the final cache. On the cache page, you could give the coordinates 60 ft. to the west, for example, of the microcache with the instructions to use a flashlight and walk in a general direction to find the reflectors, thus the location of the microcache and the final coordinates. I think the tacks would be too small to spot in the daylight.

I hope this makes sense.

eroom

Sorry I haven't been back in a while - my attention span on online forums is pretty fickle.

Metagrrl sez:

What's up with this? I'm away from the forums for a couple of days, and you guys go and steal my cache ideas!

That's really funny - not only was I planning to place a cache on the KT, but I was also considering a chain of small caches along the whole length of it, as soon as school gets out and I have the free time to hike it. The idea was that it would be like the sign-in stations on the Appalachian Trail, and thru hikers could have a lot of fun reading about the adventures of the people who went before them.

There's several other long-distance hiking trails in Indiana - I've also considered placing something on the new Tecumseh trai.

Anyhow - let me know when you go out. If you're settled on doing a chain, I'll make sure and set up the one cache that I definitely want. I let you know the approx. location so it doesn't interfere with yours.

No sense having a bunch of caches all close together on such a long trail as the KT!

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Indy Diver sez:

I didn't think it was that hard when I placed it but you might give The Pinnacle Cache a try.

Will do. My arm's healing pretty fast now, so I'll be back in shape for a challenge in no time.

So... how hard was it, Metagrrl?

How hard was it? At the time when I did it, it was pretty difficult! Lots of good hills, and a really great hike... A good hike on any day, especially considering that it was the final cache of a two-day, two-night 22 cache marathon! During that weekend, LAT and I added up that we had already hiked at least fifteen miles, and were running on just a few hours of sleep! I plan to redeem myself and hike it again soon, but take along my six year old... I'll have her issue the official opinion! A great deal of my difficulty was mental- I had no clue what I was in for when we left the truck- (good planning, huh?). (Not to mention all of the verbal abuse from LATimer that it took to keep me going!)

Metagirrl

I am just north of Indianapolis in Tipton County. There are no caches in Tipton, Howard, and Clinton Counties. I hope to change that very soon. This past weekend, I just picked up 3 ammo cans - hehe.

I wouldn't mind a few more dificult caches in the area. I think we also should plan an Indy cache event. Maybe dinner someplace?

The best things in life are not things...

Team_WOlverine is DEFINATELY up for a few good caches! We recently moved to the FLATTEST place on Earth ~Greenfield~ from MICHIGAN, and are really homesick for some hills.

Good trails are hard to find unless we drive SW, so we head that way often.

C'mon... give us a few names of good caches!

ALSO... We are up for some sort of picnic/party for meeting up with fellow Cachers in the state.

If you plan something ~ invite us!

Team_Wolverine

The Original "GEO JOE's" Founders!

icon_biggrin.gifCome see Team Wolverine's Page!

Team_WOlverine is DEFINATELY up for a few good caches! We recently moved to the FLATTEST place on Earth ~Greenfield~ from MICHIGAN, and are really homesick for some hills.

Good trails are hard to find unless we drive SW, so we head that way often.

C'mon... give us a few names of good caches!

ALSO... We are up for some sort of picnic/party for meeting up with fellow Cachers in the state.

If you plan something ~ invite us!

Team_Wolverine

The Original "GEO JOE's" Founders!

icon_biggrin.gifCome see Team Wolverine's Page!

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have talked to a few of you by E-mail and the feed back has been great. The up coming Picnic is going to be a fun event, with something for everyone.

I want to start an Indiana Geocachers Group. If you are interested please E-mail me at indydiver@comcast.net I plan on starting it here in Indianapolis because it is the central area of the state and can draw from the entire state.

Any feedback is welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Indy Diver icon_wink.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have talked to a few of you by E-mail and the feed back has been great. The up coming Picnic is going to be a fun event, with something for everyone.

I want to start an Indiana Geocachers Group. If you are interested please E-mail me at indydiver@comcast.net I plan on starting it here in Indianapolis because it is the central area of the state and can draw from the entire state.

Any feedback is welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Indy Diver icon_wink.gif

Time to refresh...

I picked one of the oldest "Anybody out there?" pages I could find about the Hoosier state. Estranho would be proud.

There's been oodles of growth all over and a few faces have come and gone...

... anyone else care to chime in?

I'm an Indy cacher but I don't mind traveling to some interesting caches. I've been geocaching for almost and year and I would LOVE to hunt a really difficult cache.

I'm partnering with a guy down in Johnson County (just south of Indy) who works on the water and soil conservation project. He has 15 acres in which he is planning to use for outdoor education and is wanting to partner with geocaching. I'm hoping to create a very difficult cache there. If anyone has ideas and is looking for an area, let me know.

If you're interested in reading about a difficult cache check out "The Journal" cache online.