Do you log a trackable as visited if you cannot find the cache

Waggy6

I have a personal Geocoin that I use for tracking mileage and personally, I don't log a visit to a cache I couldn't find. If I can't Drop or Retrieve a trackable because I couldn't find the cache, then I shouldn't be able to Visit either.

But that's just the way I see it. If you'd rather do it the other way, go ahead, there's nothing wrong with it. Play the game the way you want. 👍

Here's a Topic that's about the same as this one.

There are times where you did find the container, yet may log a DNF. For example, when the container was hit by a lawnmower, some people (OK, me :yikes:) would log DNF, yet there it is. Or if I couldn't open it, or didn't want to touch it, whatever. It depends on what makes a "DNF" for you, and how/when you want to log your TB.

Edited by kunarion

I have a personal Geocoin that I use for tracking mileage and personally, I don't log a visit to a cache I couldn't find.

I have a mileage tracking TB and that's how I view this: DNF = no TB visit log.

I look at it like this....I can't stand when cachers claim a find and then admit in their log "I found the location but I couldn't find the cache" or something along those lines. If you reached the area but didn't find the container it's technically not a find. So if my trackable travelled to the area but the cache was not found how could it "visit" the cache?

Again, just my personal interpretation, YMMV.

If you reached the area but didn't find the container it's technically not a find. So if my trackable travelled to the area but the cache was not found how could it "visit" the cache?

My (Geocar) coin's “Visits” are more non-standard than even that. When I find a cache, I can't physically place then retrieve the car (Drop/Retrieve being a Trackable “Visit”), since it hasn't fit into any container I've found yet. And usually I can't drive to GZ. I still may log the Visit, regardless of whether I sign the cache log.

And there are several times when I've found the container and logged a DNF.

I will log a visit on a DNF. Why not? GC allows it, so I do it. The exception would be if I was unable to get to GZ (unable to climb to it, construction in area, high mugglage, etc...), in which cause I wouldn't post a DNF, but a note (no visits).

I know a geocacher in our area who won't mark a visit unless they physically can place the trackable into the actual container. That's a bit extreme to me, but to each their own.

Bottom line, play it your way.

I also like some will only log a visit on a trackable, mine or someone elses, if I have physicly had the container in hand regardless if I remembered a pen to sign the log or not. Most times, my personal coin is in my geomobile and not act the cache with me, but I will still log a visit. Once in a blue moon, work will send me way out and my personal coin is still in my vehicle, so I log the coin as visiting, if I have anyother trackables, unless they are with me, there is no vist log for them. So for my personal coin, it gets a visit log regardless if it is with me or not if I log a found it log, all other trackables only get a log if they are with me for the find...

It is just a game and trackables are just one demention of the game. The game has very few rules on how to play, so do as you see fit and what lets you sleep at night.