Vehicle "I'm Not Abandoned" Windshield Note

P50P

I saw a photo in someone's log (in Virginia), of a note in their windshield where their car says, "I'm not abandoned. My driver is around here somewhere Geocaching; see http://www.geocaching.com for more information."

Does anyone have such a file I can download and print? If someone has a file, I'd like to use on my vehicle, and use it as an example when suggesting the product idea below to the Geocaching store.

What I'd really like to find is a plastic "cling" for this that can be put on my motorcycle windshield or gas tank when I've "abandoned :unsure: " my bike.

Edited by P50P

I just searched for what might be appropriate to put on a sign to hang in my truck to inform anyone concerned, as to why the truck was parked here, and what/where the owner was doing.

Came up with 'The owner of this vehicle is 'geocaching' nearby. (geocaching.com) If it is a problem, or it is not O.K. to park here, please call (XXX)-XXX-XXXX and we will return & move the vehicle. PLEASE do not have it towed! Thank You!

Just now printed it up, and will hang inside of a clear envelope in the truck window.

Imagine how much fun it would be to get back & find your vehicle gone...

It's occupied my thoughts more than once.

Edited by 45semi

I just searched for what might be appropriate to put on a sign to hang in my truck to inform anyone concerned, as to why the truck was parked here, and what/where the owner was doing.

Came up with 'The owner of this vehicle is 'geocaching' nearby. (geocaching.com) If it is a problem, or it is not O.K. to park here, please call (XXX)-XXX-XXXX and we will return & move the vehicle. PLEASE do not have it towed! Thank You!

Just now printed it up, and will hang inside of a clear envelope in the truck window.

Imagine how much fun it would be to get back & find your vehicle gone...

It's occupied my thoughts more than once.

Even worse than finding your vehicle gone - finding your motorcycle is there but your helmet is gone. Since helmets are mandatory in Virginia (not that I'd ride without it anyway), you've just been shut down and switched to pedestrian mode. :mad:

DIY is a wonderful thing! Inspired by the cacher whose photo I can't find and 45semi, here's what I came up with:

From the header of Geocachingclick the Geocaching logo, view image, save image as ...

Android app QR Barcode, used to create a QR code for http://www.geocaching.com. Shared via gmail (in my case; your mileage may vary), then saved on my computer.

Insert the save logo image in a Powerpoint presentation. This can probably be done in a Word document, but I didn't get the images to show.

Insert and modify 45semi's text - change XXX-XXX-XXXX to your phone number. I also centered the text.

Insert saved QR code image.

Print, then make however many copies you want. Mine came out well at a 50% size reduction.

I'd show you what mine looks like, but the board won't let me post the link. :blink:

Edited by P50P

Is this really a problem? I'm not sure of your laws, but here a vehicle has to be in the same spot for 48 hours after it's abandoned, then it can get marked by the police, then it can be towed. 2-3 days minimum before it can be moved, unless of course it's blocking traffic. Even if it's on private property, getting it removed is a pain.

• Upvote 2

Is this really a problem? I'm not sure of your laws, but here a vehicle has to be in the same spot for 48 hours after it's abandoned, then it can get marked by the police, then it can be towed.

The world is a very big place. In Minnesota, "abandoned" is the same, 48 hours. But there is also a category "unauthorized vehicles," which can be towed if left unattended. On public property "properly posted" (maybe meaning with a warning posted), 4 hours. Of most concern, on a highway and properly tagged by a peace officer, 4 hours. I have had my car tagged within 5 minutes while I went hiking on a trail. Finally, without owner consent at a single-family or duplex residential property or a "properly posted" nonresidential private property, theoretically they can tow you immediately.

Is this really a problem? I'm not sure of your laws, but here a vehicle has to be in the same spot for 48 hours after it's abandoned, then it can get marked by the police, then it can be towed.

If it isn't a problem, simply leave out the "Don't Tow" part.

I have a hang tag, designed after the Geocaching-U kind. It doesn't specify when people can tow my car, but I think it might at least be good at Events and impromptu cache gatherings, to help Geocachers identify each other.

Edited by kunarion

Is this really a problem? I'm not sure of your laws, but here a vehicle has to be in the same spot for 48 hours after it's abandoned, then it can get marked by the police, then it can be towed. 2-3 days minimum before it can be moved, unless of course it's blocking traffic. Even if it's on private property, getting it removed is a pain.

2. This wasn't my idea; I'm just looking for signage.
  3. CYA. Better safe than sorry.
  4. I live in "shoot first, ask questions later" territory.

Edited by BlueRajah
removed potty language

Here's a stupid question? Do you hang the placard from your rear view mirror? If so, do you leave your car unlocked so someone could get to the placard? If not, they wouldn't be able to read the small print on both sides and the coordinates very well.

Or do you hang it from your door handle?

Edited by JockoPablo

Here's a stupid question? Do you hang the placard from your rear view mirror? If so, do you leave your car unlocked so someone could get to the placard? If not, they wouldn't be able to read the small print on both sides and the coordinates very well.

The ones I have seen are simply laid on the dashboard, readable through the windshield.

I made my own version of the Geocacher-U placard. Both sides would have the exact same thing, all info on each side, so you don't have to leave the car unlocked. But I made mine one-sided so it wasn't as complicated to make.

The print is legible from about 5 feet away. Stand to one side of the engine compartment. I was able to read the cache number from 20 feet away. I don't write the coordinates, just the GC number in whiteboard ink.

I often place the placard in a corner of the dashboard, since many Events are in state parks, and the park pass (which has text smaller than the Geocacher-U placard) is supposed to be displayed on the mirror.

A typical purpose of such a placard is to identify a Geocacher. I don't consider it a practical way to prevent getting a car towed, but if it works, more power to you.

Below are photos of the pollen-coated Kunavagen modeling the vehicle placard.

Hope this helps!

mwxeuc.jpg

2efu9lv.jpg

Edited by kunarion

After a bad experience of having my car vandalized by someone letting the air out of the 2 passenger side tires, I found a message on geocaching.com and then also translated it into French on the same page. I put 2 copies on each side of my Dashboard under the windshield when geocaching, anywhere, but especially near forests. It said please do not have it towed, but I also added "or vandalize it." I also added a description given for Geocaching. See enclosed document, Cut and Pasted below. It would not accept word document file. I also translated this into French, if anyone is interested.  PremierCoup

The owner of this vehicle is “GEOCACHING” nearby! (geocaching.com) If this is a problem, or it is not Okay to park here, please call (***) BR-549 and we will return & move the vehicle, ASAP.

PLEASE do not have it towed, or vandalize it, etc.!

Thank You Very Much!  

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache hidden at that location. See Geocaching.com

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, PremierCoup said:

After a bad experience of having my car vandalized by someone letting the air out of the 2 passenger side tires, I found a message on geocaching.com and then also translated it into French on the same page.

I put 2 copies on each side of my Dashboard under the windshield when geocaching, anywhere, but especially near forests.

It said please do not have it towed, but I also added "or vandalize it." I also added a description given for Geocaching. See enclosed document...

I don't see where a "please don't vandalize me" sign would do any good. If you're in/near a forest, they'd assume you're gone a while.

We used to see this years ago at game lands, and I guess it finally dawned on someone it isn't smart when everyone in the woods is armed...

"What condition my truck's in" on my way back is a concern every time I'm in the woods. I have AAA and a phone.

Some odd reason, ever since I put that Glock decal on the back and not knowing where I am, folks leave it alone.

Agree with TeamRabbitRun, I feel "treasure" was a poor idea explaining this hobby, and why many trackables (coins especially) go bye-bye.

It used to be called the Language of Location"...    If you feel you need this, I'd like to see "treasure" removed.  Good luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I don't see where a "please don't vandalize me" sign would do any good.

I know people who make sure there is nothing of value in their vehicle, then they leave it unlocked and put signs on the windows saying that the vehicle is unlocked and has nothing of value inside. That avoids broken windows, which is more of a hassle than anything being stolen.

I notice that the image in my previous hang tag post vanished. So I've made a new one.

I'm printing this in 5x7 on letter sized paper, writing anything else that will be permanent, then cutting it out and laminating it.

Write the current cache code or other notes, using a dry erase pen.

My new dash card doesn't hang on the mirror because that's where the Park Pass hangs. Plus it's a chore to cut out a “hang tag”.

This is probably what I'll use at a Mega Event or while in a new Geotour, or in a large park where I might encounter Geocachers.

It's not to warn people away, it's just information so people know I'm Geocaching.

But, there's extra space to write whatever you like.

I don't know if “Don't Tow This Car” works or not. I don't park where I might get my car towed.

This could be printed any size, and even on “cling” plastic. I have a PDF file that prints a 5x7 size in the middle of a letter-sized sheet of paper, which you can then cut as you like.

There's no official dash card.  You could instead write anything on anything and place it anywhere. This sign is just an idea.

dashcardku900.jpg

Edited by kunarion
On 7/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, PremierCoup said:

PLEASE do not vandalize it

For most of us, "please don't vandalize it" means "please don't vandalize it." In fact, generally, most people don't vandalize things, even without being told. 

But for the specific type of person who finds pleasure in vandalizing other people's property, "please don't vandalize it" is likely to be interpreted as "please vandalize it." They're like small children. You tell them that they can't do something, and then all they want to do is that thing.

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Hügh said:

For most of us, "please don't vandalize it" means "please don't vandalize it." In fact, most people don't vandalize things even without needing to be told. 

But for the specific type of person who finds pleasure in vandalizing other people's property, "please don't vandalize it" will likely be interpreted as "please vandalize it."

There are a couple of places where there are a bunch of little patches of shiny car window glass all down the side of the road.  I never park there long enough to set up a sign. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
On 7/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, niraD said:

I know people who make sure there is nothing of value in their vehicle, then they leave it unlocked and put signs on the windows saying that the vehicle is unlocked and has nothing of value inside. That avoids broken windows, which is more of a hassle than anything being stolen.

If the car is unlocked then the vehicle itself is easier to steal, whether there are any worthwhile contents or not.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Upvote 1

Here I placed a card on the dashboard of my car.  The card is very easy to see, the camera captured a heavier cloud reflection than you see in person:

IMG_6823.jpg

This is self-stick lamination for a 5x7 image.  It's easy to laminate.

The plastic does melt a little in the Hotlanta sun.  I tried a "dry erase" pen, and with this kind of plastic it takes rubbing alcohol to erase the writing.  Next, I'll test wet erase.  That will probably be better.

I wrote my car's Geocoin Reference Number, my cacher name and KU initials before laminating.  There's space to write "Do not tow, I'm not abandoned", which I actually don't need to specify.  So I have room to write the date and time I placed the sign, or a phone number or coordinates or whatever.

Edited by kunarion

I'm fascinated by this discussion, and that there are places where your car could get towed within hours IF you don't have a sign that says please don't do that. The world is indeed a very big place. Where I'm from (Sweden that is) - sure, if you leave your car in an intersection "Falling Down"-style, it will be towed pretty soon. Other than that, there are parking regulations that dictate for how long you can park and whether or not there's a fee. If you violate that, you will start accruing parking tickets. Only when there is already a thick wad of parking tickets under the wiper will they finally tow it, and by then they will certainly not care about any sign that says they shouldn't. And if you haven't returned from your geocaching by then, you never will.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I'm fascinated by this discussion, and that there are places where your car could get towed within hours IF you don't have a sign that says please don't do that. 

I'm pretty sure that if you're in an area you aren't supposed to be, that "sign" won't mean a thing...

For example, a handicapped spot w/o a plate or mirror hanger, or a store's parking lot with "customers only" signs and the store's closed.

• Helpful 1

For the benefit of anyone that wants to have a go at making something like this for themselves (I assume the OP found a solution in the last six years or so), then I recommend using PhotoPea - it's essentially a free version of Photoshop that anyone can use (with the obligatory ads on the sides). The advantages are that because it's 99% the same as Photoshop for all the basic stuff, it's easy to search for things like "how to add text in photoshop" or "how to add a border in photoshop" to find hundreds of tutorials. The main disadvantage is that it's online only, so if you have a poor internet connection or your connection drops out, there's a chance you can lose your work. Save early, save often! Some people may also consider it a disadvantage that it works best on a laptop / computer with a mouse - hard to use on a phone or tablet.

If you do have unreliable internet, or prefer to work on images offline, InkScape is a free, open source program that has many of the same features as Photoshop with good community support. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux, it is very powerful, free and can easily give you options to create signs like those discussed in this thread in just a few minutes.

And if you have any documents you'd like to work on (such as software for creating text-heavy pamphlets rather than images with a little bit of text) but don't want to pay for the full Microsoft Suite just to get Publisher, there is both OpenOffice and LibreOffice which are different flavors of office software (Word, Excel, Publisher, etc). Both are free and open source and allow users to do almost all the functions of Microsoft Office without the big price tag or ongoing subscription. The down side is needing to learn the locations of menus and tools if you're an established Microsoft Office user, but although both use their own file formats they both have the options to work with, edit and save in Microsoft formats so you can send files to other people who use Microsoft and they'll be able to use your files.

Okay, I'll go back under my rock now.

• Helpful 4

I always thought a note saying you're off geocaching/hiking/whatever is advertising to potential thieves/vandals that you may be far away and gone for a while. If a car is parked legally and not causing an obstruction then it's not likely to draw much attention.

If someone's car is particularly old or rusty and likely to be mistaken for a dumped car then the simple"This is not an abandoned vehicle" stickers I've seen might save the locals from worrying.

• Upvote 1

Similar to vw_k,  we were in another very-nearby state on the Appalachian Trail, and a lot of cars parked were hit, but not ours.

The guy was caught and told the LEO that he looked for flipped-open power ports (used to be cigarette lighters...). 

That told him that a nav system or another electronic device might be in the car.  The officer didn't ask about my Glock decal...

- The creep also knew about geocaching "car decals with numbers on it", which was upsetting, saying they'd be outta eyesight a while.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, cerberus1 said:

Similar to vw_k,  we were in another very-nearby state on the Appalachian Trail, and a lot of cars parked were hit, but not ours.

The guy was caught and told the LEO that he looked for flipped-open power ports (used to be cigarette lighters...). 

That told him that a nav system or another electronic device might be in the car.  The officer didn't ask about my Glock decal...

- The creep also knew about geocaching "car decals with numbers on it", which was upsetting, saying they'd be outta eyesight a while.

None of this surprises me. Another trick I've heard of is thieves look for a dirty round mark on the windshield which suggests a sat-nav mount is being used. Thieves are also familiar with brand names of valuable equipment which is why I don't sticker my car with outdoor gear/climbing/mountain biking brand stickers like many people seem to do, it's pretty much an advertisment for what kind of stealable swag might be hidden inside.