FTF Being Claimed Before Cache is Published

Dogmeat*

A quick side bar...do you place a cache before reviewer approval or after?

Your reviewer may never approve of your cache, even if s/he hits the publish button.

Meaning, be prepared to pull a cache placed before submission to publish if the cache doesn't pass muster and is not published.

Just say "no" to geotrash.

Meaning, be prepared to pull a cache placed before submission to publish if the cache doesn't pass muster and is not published.

Well I haven't placed a cache yet, but I assume you'd (after doing co-ordinate check) you'd be able to get the full cache page 'approved' before placement, and then after placement you are able to submit it ready for publishing? Is this not correct? I wouldn't want to put a cache in place and then have to move it. What if it was a puzzle that wasn't approved? If you had to change the co-ordinates, you'd have to re-work the puzzle before you'd be able to re-submit. You could waste a lot of gas if you can't get a preliminary approval before submitting it for publication. Obviously if you changed something substantial on the cache page, I could understand it possibly not be approved, but if substantially the same, the shouldn't be a reason to have to move a cache, if everyone does everything correctly.

Either way, it would have to be in place before telling the reviewer you are ready for it to be published. I can't imagine why there would be a cache published without it physically being in place, not with people racing out to get the FTF as discussed in this thread.

It's probably be more work for the reviewers, but if you could request the time frame for it to be published, then the CO could tell his friends when it's planning on being published, so they could still have a head-start without technically "cheating" to get the FTF. On second thought, maybe not a good idea.

I assume you'd (after doing co-ordinate check) you'd be able to get the full cache page 'approved' before placement, and then after placement you are able to submit it ready for publishing?

There are a lot of situations where it makes sense to do a full cache page and ask the reviewer to review it prior to publishing and give you feedback.

It's probably be more work for the reviewers, but if you could request the time frame for it to be published, then the CO could tell his friends when it's planning on being published, so they could still have a head-start without technically "cheating" to get the FTF. On second thought, maybe not a good idea.

People often request reviewers delay publication of a cache until a certain time around here prior to events. No one is told specifically that certain caches will be published, but anyone planning to attend the event kind of knows to be on the lookout for caches published the day of the event. There are usually lots of "mini events" leading up to the actual event as people search for the caches on their way to the event.

This is ridiculous, it´s like scoring a goal before the game even begins!!!!

I'm thinking you must really like exclamation marks...

That being said, I believe your analogy falls well short of the mark. You may not be aware of this, but geocaching is a hobby, not a rigidly controlled sporting event. Whilst there are numeric values saved to your profile, with the possible exception of a few folks who are numbers oriented, these numbers are not a 'score', as they are not utilized in any officially sanctioned competition.

Geocaching game starts when the cache is published because... those are the rules!

Oh. More exclamation marks...

I'm assuming you can cite a source for this?

I've read the guidelines several times, and I can't seem to find it.

Help a brother out?

Until it is published it is not active, thus, not in the game, thus lot loggable!!!

More exclamation marks? Sigh...

You may be confusing a couple things. First, an unpublished cache is loggable, but only on a limited scale. The cache owner can post logs on their unpublished caches, as can Reviewers and Lackeys. Second, there is a distinct difference betwixt loggable and findable. Just because a geocache is not active on this website, does not mean it magically becomes invisible, or slips into some alternate dimension. Quite often, unpublished caches are actually out there, in the wild. If a person locates one of these, and signs the log, which log type should they utilize once the listing becomes active? I'm thinking they should use the "Found It" log type, since, well, they 'found it', but I'm open to other interpretations, so long as you can express them logically.

And without excess exclamation marks...

I like exclamation marks too!!!!

(are you the exclamation mark police?)

I know that sometimes when the first person logs the cache, the log will show up below the "published" log, even when created after published. That being said, yes caches are often logged before being published.

Yeah, people play a lot of different ways. If I don't like it I ignore it. This is a game.

Where I used to live there were a lot of FTF hounds. I was scornful before one day I decided to see what the draw was. I found a big party of cachers. What fun!! So I went out for FTF's often just for the party.

Now where I live a cache can be active for days before it's logged. It takes the excitement out of FTF so I rarely bother.

I tell you, I had one great one!!! (I had to go back to put more exclamation marks in)

I was FTF on the Ape Cache replacement. THAT was exciting! It was a hike in, after an hour and a half drive. The whole way I had no idea if anyone had beat me to it.

Someone logged it one hour after me.

My hands were literally shaking as I opened the log book.

THAT was a fun FTF.

Your reviewer may never approve of your cache, even if s/he hits the publish button.

I don't think that this is what GeoBain meant at all. :ph34r:

I know that sometimes when the first person logs the cache, the log will show up below the "published" log, even when created after published. That being said, yes caches are often logged before being published.

A log created after another one but appearing earlier and on the same date usually means it was created with a time value (posted via a field note or API) instead of just the date. A new log without time will be placed at the end (top) of the logs for that date. Gets confusing with things like disables and archives clearly posted after find logs, yet appearing before them in the log history =P

I don't think that this is what GeoBain meant at all. :ph34r:

<facepalm> I realized as I re-read my comment and just before scrolling to your comment... :anicute:

:laughing: ...Oops

Let me rephrase without the quote from GeoBain...

Just be prepared to pull a cache placed before submission to publish if the cache doesn't pass muster and is not published.

Returning to FTF issue - we have also second geocaching system in our area and lot of caches are double registered. Who claims FTF on cache? First person that writes his/her name in logbook, no matter which portal they play? I guess so.

But some 'prominent' cachers says that 'I do not care about existence of other system so I do not recognize their logs as a valid ones' and still claim FTF being third person that have found cache and put his/her name on logbook.

Returning to FTF issue - we have also second geocaching system in our area and lot of caches are double registered. Who claims FTF on cache? First person that writes his/her name in logbook, no matter which portal they play? I guess so.

But some 'prominent' cachers says that 'I do not care about existence of other system so I do not recognize their logs as a valid ones' and still claim FTF being third person that have found cache and put his/her name on logbook.

First, please define "prominent" to help understand your paradigm.

Then...to this guy... it sounds like the first person who finds it, regardless of which site it is published on, is the FTF.

When FTF means more than just "claiming" it, that's when it seems more valid. If the owner puts in a $20 gift card for the "FTF", that pretty much solves the FTF argument. The first person there would get the "honors" of the FTF, and can take that special prize.

But when it is just a "claim" of FTF, it really doesn't matter much at all. It's just a claim, and there really isn't any incentive to rush out to be FTF when it's just a bison tube with a logscroll. At that point being "FTF" is just bragging rights for the few who want to play their way.

I'll play mine, and they can play theirs--so if they want to "claim" FTF on geocaching.com, they can. If on other sites, so be it. It really doesn't matter one bit so far as the game played on Geocaching.com is concerned. It only matters to those who play, and those who play the game the same way they do.

So until there is a website called "FTFcaching" that lists geocaches and makes clear guidelines about who can claim it, we're all here just finding caches and letting people "claim" FTF however they want to. :laughing:

Edited by NeverSummer

I do not care, n or recognize the existence of any human being, other than myself, in the places you call Canada, the USA, and Mexico. Therefore I am the first to step foot here. I claim this land as my own, and hereby name it Penguinia. I am to be addressed as Your Royal Penguin-ness. My word is law.

I do not care, n or recognize the existence of any human being, other than myself, in the places you call Canada, the USA, and Mexico. Therefore I am the first to step foot here. I claim this land as my own, and hereby name it Penguinia. I am to be addressed as Your Royal Penguin-ness. My word is law.

That's certainly what Columbus did, despite there being a million people living on the continent.

I've always wanted to hide a cache with the FTF line already filled in, just to see the drama.

I've run into that a few times, and there wasn't any drama, just confusion.

Oh man, it's been done, and it causes drama. :ph34r:

Then those same people realized that it's not that big of a deal--especially when there is no gain for claiming an FTF when there is no FTF gift.

!!!!! !!! !!!!!!!!! !! !!!!, !!!!!

Oh, sorry, what I meant to say is:

I thought of this thread yesterday. I went out to try for FTF on two caches that had just been published. But I ended up not getting the FTF on those. However, I noticed that the listing for those two said they were the first two in a power trail, so I reasoned that there might be several others past the first two, just awaiting publication. Now this power trail is not like one in the desert, where you can find each cache by stopping exactly 528 feet from the previous one - it's just a lot of easy caches at sign posts or on guard rails at relatively close intervals. So it wasn't all that easy to know for sure where to look, but even so I was able to find seven of them before I had to get back to work. I recorded the coordinates for the ones I found so I could later identify which ones they were. Then today the rest of the caches published, and I was able to log FTF on those seven caches, one day before they published.

I had previously not thought very highly of power trails, but finding seven caches without a GPS, without coordinates, and without hints (the description for the two published caches did help a lot) was actually a lot of fun. Then today, when the rest of the caches in the trail published, I ran into some other cachers from the area seeking FTFs on some of those as well, and that was good, too.

!!!!! !!! !!!!!!!!! !! !!!!, !!!!!

Oh, sorry, what I meant to say is:

I thought of this thread yesterday. I went out to try for FTF on two caches that had just been published. But I ended up not getting the FTF on those. However, I noticed that the listing for those two said they were the first two in a power trail, so I reasoned that there might be several others past the first two, just awaiting publication. Now this power trail is not like one in the desert, where you can find each cache by stopping exactly 528 feet from the previous one - it's just a lot of easy caches at sign posts or on guard rails at relatively close intervals. So it wasn't all that easy to know for sure where to look, but even so I was able to find seven of them before I had to get back to work. I recorded the coordinates for the ones I found so I could later identify which ones they were. Then today the rest of the caches published, and I was able to log FTF on those seven caches, one day before they published.

I had previously not thought very highly of power trails, but finding seven caches without a GPS, without coordinates, and without hints (the description for the two published caches did help a lot) was actually a lot of fun. Then today, when the rest of the caches in the trail published, I ran into some other cachers from the area seeking FTFs on some of those as well, and that was good, too.

I have done the same, figured there were more caches along a trail and found them before they were published. It is kinda fun finding them without use of a gpsr. Only difference is, i won't sign any logs or claim that i found them. I just feel that it's more respectful to others who play the ftf game. Of course, it also helps keep drama down as well! :o

I have done the same, figured there were more caches along a trail and found them before they were published. It is kinda fun finding them without use of a gpsr. Only difference is, i won't sign any logs or claim that i found them. I just feel that it's more respectful to others who play the ftf game.

Why?!? You've found them!

It would be disrespectful to spy on a guy that you know he's making a trail :P Or no, if you make it so that he doesn't notice, you should receive your prize for such an achievment :D

That's certainly what Columbus did, despite there being a million people living on the continent.

Actually Columbus never set foot on American soil. He landed on a couple of Caribbean Islands.

There seems to be an issue on this site that when someone raises a concern that others don't care about, they'll mock the OP about it in the topic.

Logging before a hide seems rude, and I sympathize. That's what he was asking. I don't think he ever asked anything to be revoked or banned, or the rules to be updated. He was just annoyed and looking for a sympathetic ear.

As far as the importance of FTF, I like the idea of finding something first and keeping track of that, but I'd never want to fight for a FTF on some sort of technicality. I've only got the one, and that'e enough for me until another one becomes convenient and quick!

Also people hunting for FTF's means more cache logs, and I'm all for that!

Forums are a funny thing.

Someone upset, or with an opinion, posts to get a response.

Responses come, either supportive or critical.

Someone gets upset at the OP.

Someone gets upset at those critical of the OP.

Someone gets upset at the fact that people are upset.

Someone comments about the fact it's a thread about opinions.

Someone hippy-like just wants everyone to get along.

Someone calls for respect and friendly discussion (usually ignored)

Someone is so mad they take their ball and go home. (at least until they return)

Discussion stalls for a while.

Someone posts after reading only the OP and not the rest of the thread.

Debate is revived as if it had never stalled. Rinse/repeat.

"IBTL!"

Mod locks the thread.

Such is the life of an opinion-centric 'discussion' with no productive value containing people who either can't accept that someone could have a different opinion, or take a passive aggressive approach implying their opinions are more valid than other peoples'.

Also, Groundspeak forums are a breeding ground for angst.

It's an angsty forum.

A forum of Angst.

Don't feed the angst.

The angst monster will get you.

I agree. Forums I thought was so someone can get advise and help or answers and all I see is criticism, jokes at the OP or posters and off topics

Totally agree, although I enjoy reading the *jokes* :)

Back on topic:

FTF???

What a pity :(

It's good to see that the OP claimed the FTF on their Profile Stats. That's the important thing ;)

I agree. Forums I thought was so someone can get advise and help or answers and all I see is criticism, jokes at the OP or posters and off topics

Totally agree, although I enjoy reading the *jokes* :)

Back on topic:

FTF???

It's good to see that the OP claimed the FTF on their Profile Stats. That's the important thing ;)

Well, several of the logs on that cache page were deleted, so it's hard to get the full picture. Although it was pretty much explained by the OP.

At least 18 destroyed on one account, and that's not the one for the grandmother, which reportedly has her log sheets pulled out and abusive notes posted. Sounds like someone is real upset that the six year old got FTF unfairly with her grandmom.

From all appearances, it must be another 6 year old. :ph34r:

I was in the midst of procrastinating as hard as I possibly can so I decided to read this. I normally wouldn't because I'm in the "if I happen to get a FTF, that's pretty cool yay" camp, while sort of just rolling my eyes at the ones who will literally get out of bed to chase one.

The_Incredibles_ actually made me re-think any less-than-positive-thoughts for the FTF-ers. I recently placed my very first cache so I have had to take my laptop into the bathroom in order to know the very instant somebody logged finding my cache. I wasn't surprised at the first three, but, now that you mention it, I was delighted that they came out so quickly!

On the topic of beta-FTF-ing I did have my husband (who does not have an account) find it for me, he wasn't with me when I placed it in order to check my coordinates. I almost wanted him to sign it just to get the goat of the local FTF hounds.

Some of you have mentioned event caches that get "found" before they are "hid"... how the heck does that happen? We recently had a Maker Madness Event, where a cache was made... then it was hidden with a DIFFERENT GC code. I have a smiley for the Event last month, and another smiley for the cache I found just today. Are people having "events" and listing them as "traditional cache"? Weird.

And then....

Back on topic:

FTF???

Whoa. Just wow, that is so entirely messed up. I hope it hasn't ruined geocaching for that family!

At least 18 destroyed on one account, and that's not the one for the grandmother, which reportedly has her log sheets pulled out and abusive notes posted. Sounds like someone is real upset that the six year old got FTF unfairly with her grandmom.

This is really sad. It not only effects the CO's but the rest of the community that might be looking for those caches.

<snippy>

Some of you have mentioned event caches that get "found" before they are "hid"... how the heck does that happen? We recently had a Maker Madness Event, where a cache was made... then it was hidden with a DIFFERENT GC code. I have a smiley for the Event last month, and another smiley for the cache I found just today. Are people having "events" and listing them as "traditional cache"? Weird.

<snippy>

Sometimes, event hosts (or others going to the event), will place caches before an event, in the general area. They usually get the caches pre-approved by a reviewer, to make sure that they are ok. They'll ask the reviewer to publish the caches anywhere from the beginning of the event to maybe the next morning(?). Then, they'll give out coords to the people attending the events so they can get first dibs on the new caches. A lot of times cachers will go out in groups to find the caches.

So, these are just normal caches that can be found before/at the time they are published, by people attending the events.

Sometimes, event hosts (or others going to the event), will place caches before an event, in the general area. They usually get the caches pre-approved by a reviewer, to make sure that they are ok. They'll ask the reviewer to publish the caches anywhere from the beginning of the event to maybe the next morning(?). Then, they'll give out coords to the people attending the events so they can get first dibs on the new caches. A lot of times cachers will go out in groups to find the caches.

So, these are just normal caches that can be found before/at the time they are published, by people attending the events.

I can name two larger events in Ontario that do this (and there are many more)

BFL Bootcamp is an all-night geocaching event organized around a series of (usually genius) new caches (often technical experiments) published each year around a theme. They aren't published typically until after the event, sometimes during, so attendees are given print outs of the caches in a package. But there are so many people that no one outside the event really puts an effort for the ftf; someone always finds them at the event ;P

The GAG series in Ottawa is similar, but mainly puzzles and multis. They're published publicly before the annual event, but the owners ask people not to go out and find them until after 6pm Friday of the weekend the event starts. Just so that everyone can have fun... very light-hearted, but there's still the drive for the ftf.

The only real problem I see with 'finding' before a cache is published is that subjective, controversial, arbitrary claim to FTF. Most people around here at least don't care so much about that that they'll take it personally, or adopt some campaign against other cachers who they feel have wronged them or are cheating :P Maybe Ontario (compared to some other places I've seen described in the forums) is just very fortunate with its geocaching community... (not that we're without our trouble-makers entirely)

I can name two larger events in Ontario that do this (and there are many more)

BFL Bootcamp is an all-night geocaching event organized around a series of (usually genius) new caches (often technical experiments) published each year around a theme. They aren't published typically until after the event, sometimes during, so attendees are given print outs of the caches in a package. But there are so many people that no one outside the event really puts an effort for the ftf; someone always finds them at the event ;P

The GAG series in Ottawa is similar, but mainly puzzles and multis. They're published publicly before the annual event, but the owners ask people not to go out and find them until after 6pm Friday of the weekend the event starts. Just so that everyone can have fun... very light-hearted, but there's still the drive for the ftf.

The only real problem I see with 'finding' before a cache is published is that subjective, controversial, arbitrary claim to FTF. Most people around here at least don't care so much about that that they'll take it personally, or adopt some campaign against other cachers who they feel have wronged them or are cheating :P Maybe Ontario (compared to some other places I've seen described in the forums) is just very fortunate with its geocaching community... (not that we're without our trouble-makers entirely)

Sometimes the event hosts will raffle off the ftf for the event, or for the new caches at the event. I find that slightly silly, but harmless fun.

I was in the midst of procrastinating as hard as I possibly can so I decided to read this. I normally wouldn't because I'm in the "if I happen to get a FTF, that's pretty cool yay" camp, while sort of just rolling my eyes at the ones who will literally get out of bed to chase one.

The_Incredibles_ actually made me re-think any less-than-positive-thoughts for the FTF-ers. I recently placed my very first cache so I have had to take my laptop into the bathroom in order to know the very instant somebody logged finding my cache. I wasn't surprised at the first three, but, now that you mention it, I was delighted that they came out so quickly!

On the topic of beta-FTF-ing I did have my husband (who does not have an account) find it for me, he wasn't with me when I placed it in order to check my coordinates. I almost wanted him to sign it just to get the goat of the local FTF hounds.

I looked at your first cache. Greetings from a fellow New Yorker. Just passed through your area about 6 weeks ago, although I didn't stop for any caches. Anywho, I'm not disputing what you and Mrs. Incredible say about anxiously sitting at the comptuter waiting to see who's FTF on your cache, as it's your own opinions. But here the first logger was NOT the first finder. Are you sure you just weren't waiting there to see if the cache was found by anyone, including multiple finders, and if the coordinates were good? Not necessarily to see who gets to type the "WOOHOOOOOO!!!! FTF AT 12:45 AM!!!!!" log? :)

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone breaking the GAG rules.

We have some FTF hounds around here, but there seems to be minimal angst about it. It's pretty common to put out "tribute" caches for people's milestones and birthdays etc. where the honoured cacher gets an honorary FTF, but the actual FTF also gets a shout-out.

I find it kind of shocking that this FTF side game would devolve into a scenario like this where cachers are harassing each other, ripping up log books, etc. Shameful.

This is really sad. It not only effects the CO's but the rest of the community that might be looking for those caches.

Its the presence of abusive and harassing behavior that affects the community more than the missing caches. There is quite a big difference between getting a FTF unfairly and destroying caches with the nasty messages. Someone does one thing that might be wrong, so then someone else feels that they can do anything now, as "wrong" is just a single flat binary state. Its the thought that all sin is alike which creates a breeding ground for it to escalate. There are those in the community who now might now be afraid to do anything with a very destructive manchild abound.

I looked at your first cache. Greetings from a fellow New Yorker. Just passed through your area about 6 weeks ago, although I didn't stop for any caches. Anywho, I'm not disputing what you and Mrs. Incredible say about anxiously sitting at the comptuter waiting to see who's FTF on your cache, as it's your own opinions. But here the first logger was NOT the first finder. Are you sure you just weren't waiting there to see if the cache was found by anyone, including multiple finders, and if the coordinates were good? Not necessarily to see who gets to type the "WOOHOOOOOO!!!! FTF AT 12:45 AM!!!!!" log? :)

We have a handful of people in my area that like to try for ftf. They're not hardcore about it, but they'll take the first opportunity to try and get out there for ftf (even if it's a hike or bike cache). I enjoy their good natured comments and stories about getting the cache, or meeting each other at the cache site, etc. I recently placed 3 caches, and another couple people placed a couple caches, within a few days. It was cute watching the flurry of people running around, and they actually managed to be pretty even at ftf's, although an out of towner snagged one of them. ;)

We have a handful of people in my area that like to try for ftf. They're not hardcore about it, but they'll take the first opportunity to try and get out there for ftf (even if it's a hike or bike cache). I enjoy their good natured comments and stories about getting the cache, or meeting each other at the cache site, etc. I recently placed 3 caches, and another couple people placed a couple caches, within a few days. It was cute watching the flurry of people running around, and they actually managed to be pretty even at ftf's, although an out of towner snagged one of them. ;)

You're right, Mr. Yuck (by the way, hello!) I am anxiously awaiting "finds" and not the "I SAW PLAYER2 ON HER WAY HERE SO I CREATED A TIGER PIT IN THE NEARBY CATTLE FIELD AND MADE IT HERE BEFORE HER WOOHOO FTF AT 12:45AM!!!" log. I was simply using Mrs. Incredible's thoughts to adjust my own attitude for the better. I intentionally left a log without a "FTF" space (don't worry, one was created by the FTF-er) and I have broken with local tradition by not placing a scrolling CONGRATS SO AND SO ON FTF logo in the description. The "FTF log" is generally selfish in nature, so I always felt bad for the CO (particularly if it was a good cache) over the fact that the logs were more about "I'M SO GREAT" than about "WOW WHAT A COOL CACHE!" However, as a brand-spanking-new hider, I now appreciate the fact that I get a notification email that it was found. The FTF hounds made sure I got two before I even went to bed. For that, I can be thankful.

As a bonus, they both complimented my cache which is pretty cool because neither of them have a tendency to give hollow praise, and one has the tendency of always giving "constructive criticism" if there is anything that might be better. So, yay me!

On the topic of the Scramble and Race for First. I recently have had two first to finds. On the first one I absolutely had to comment that I was shocked that I beat PLAYER1 there. It was like two days after having published, but within 50 miles of home (and a micro park and grab to boot) so those are usually snatched within the hour by one of the local FTF hounds. I had gone to a nearby canoe regatta so that's the only reason I was even nearby. Hilariously, PLAYER1 came to the cache ten minutes after me!

This was my second first to find. Again, a few days old so I was surprised it was still out there to be first-ed. PLAYER1 went a few days later and claimed a co-FTF on the one a little farther up the river and reported that it was "more fun" .... he never went to the one I found, how does he know? :laughing:

Its the presence of abusive and harassing behavior that affects the community more than the missing caches. There is quite a big difference between getting a FTF unfairly and destroying caches with the nasty messages. Someone does one thing that might be wrong, so then someone else feels that they can do anything now, as "wrong" is just a single flat binary state. Its the thought that all sin is alike which creates a breeding ground for it to escalate. There are those in the community who now might now be afraid to do anything with a very destructive manchild abound.

Yeah, everything everyone said here. I sent the CO an email telling her how appalling this event was and my hopes that it hadn't ruined geocaching for her and her family.

I had very 'interesting' situation around with FTF:

CO prepared serie of caches. Caches were all published together late afternoon.

But at the morning same day, 8 h before caches publication, CO has held an event (published on GC month ago) and all attendees have found these caches during event and claimed FTF - before publication.

Is it OK? I know that GC rules doesn't say anything about FTF, I'm personally not so keen in FTF hunting (I admit - I feel extra happy if being first), but this looks unfair for all non-participants of event.

But at the morning same day, 8 h before caches publication, CO has held an event (published on GC month ago) and all attendees have found these caches during event and claimed FTF - before publication.

Is it OK? I know that GC rules doesn't say anything about FTF, I'm personally not so keen in FTF hunting (I admit - I feel extra happy if being first), but this looks unfair for all non-participants of event.

It's ok, and it happens fairly often. This has already been posted about just a few posts back in this thread.

It may feel unfair to people who didn't attend the event. But caches are owned by people, and geocaching.com is just a listing service. If the cache owners want to hand out the coords to people before the cache is listed on gc.com, they can do that.

I think, if the owner has published the caches before the event, it's OK. You can't blame owner that that whole review stuff takes longer as supposed.

In my region FTF is a play for people using c:geo, which requires a low-energy usage smartphone or a car with a loader. A car is important anyway to get there quick. A new series of the caches in the nearby forest had a dozen of found logs in the day of publish! Not my play.

"Just a listing service" - yeah, good formulated. I'd add, just one of the listing services.

I've always wanted to hide a cache with the FTF line already filled in, just to see the drama.

Go to SW part of Washington. You can find lots of pre FTF signed caches.

I think I'm going to pre-sign the log on my next cache with my own name and declare FTF. That ought to be funny.

I think I'm going to pre-sign the log on my next cache with my own name and declare FTF. That ought to be funny.

Some players, here in Brazil, asked me if I wanted to sign their caches before they placed it... I politely answered: "No thanks, hide it so I can find it!"

But signing own box with an FTF would be very nice... :ph34r:

I think, if the owner has published the caches before the event, it's OK. You can't blame owner that that whole review stuff takes longer as supposed.

In my region FTF is a play for people using c:geo, which requires a low-energy usage smartphone or a car with a loader. A car is important anyway to get there quick. A new series of the caches in the nearby forest had a dozen of found logs in the day of publish! Not my play.

"Just a listing service" - yeah, good formulated. I'd add, just one of the listing services.

It's just the biggest listing service.

And as for caches published for events-yes you can blame the cache owner. There's no reason it can't be put out and reviewed earlier. 2 weeks, a month, even three months for large events. Sure there is the occasional permission issue, or final of a mystery cache, but that's why you do it early.

While I have done this for three events I have hosted, each time I mentioned it on the Cache page so FTF hounds (if they took the time to read the cache page) would not be dissapointed. If they didn't read the cache page, too bad for them.

And as for caches published for events-yes you can blame the cache owner. There's no reason it can't be put out and reviewed earlier. 2 weeks, a month, even three months for large events. Sure there is the occasional permission issue, or final of a mystery cache, but that's why you do it early.

For my events, I asked the reviewer to hold off publishing untill after the event.

Edited by Andronicus