Cache foreign language to English

jg047

I am travelling overseas to France and Spain soon and I usually download the caches to a GPX file and load them to my palm device. I have done this for caches in these countries but can't understand the language. Is there a way to convert these GPX files to English or convet to English before I download them.

jg

I have sometimes used a program (GSAK) to edit the GPX file so that a translated (or "translated") version of the cache description can be added to the page. Of course it would be tedious if you were trying to do this to a thousand or more caches, but I am usually very selective when traveling.

Just posted this today to the 'United Kingdom and Ireland' forum:-

I use - FireFox - GreaseMonkey - Gtranslate for simple and easy to use translation.

Not only for the cache description but in particular the hint and the logs.

I then use GSAK - decrypt and translate the hint etc and then place into Cache Notes, this will now appear as the first log when loaded (via gpx) to a paperless GPS or onto a smart phone app'.

Some Multi's also give you a good 'mini-tour' but I would only do one if it has already been been translated or translates really well (print them out).

I also use GSAK to grab any (spoiler) images and send them to my gps (etrex30) via a macro as it can deal with them, or if not print any 'useful' spoiler images out.

If you have an android smart phone you could also download the gtranslate app' and then an associated offline dictionary (german in this case).

Used with C:Gxx (on the phone), if you hold your finger over a foreign piece of text it will give you the option to open in another browser or gtranslate, I've found this useful once or twice

I do this for all of the countries that we visit.

It's all a bit convoluted but nevertheless has made our geocaching abroad all a bit more easier and much more enjoyable.

By the way we have also attended some local events when on holiday and found them pretty fun and interesting.