GPS Coordinates on iPhone Maps or Google Maps

dtfamily

Hi, sorry for the likely dumb question, but I'm a relative noob (I've been on since '05, but haven't done a lot of caches yet). I am just starting to use my iPhone as a gps (if I want to do a quick search and don't have my gps with me). There is one location that I only have degrees/minutes/seconds for, and I'm trying to get it into iPhone Maps, but I can't seem to get converted correctly. I've looked for a couple hours on websites (including this one), tried converting it to decimals/degrees on the web, tried entering numerous different formats, but so far it's put me in Mongolia and the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, neither of which I'm anywhere remotely close to! :)

The only coordinates for it I have are:

N 44 degrees 49.618 - W 093 degrees 36.026

Could someone please tell me the formatting I could use either with iPhone Maps (or Google Maps- I have that on my iPhone too) in order to get the correct location on my map? I would really like to get this to work! Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by dtfamily

I have Iphone also.. I don't think you can get the coordinates to work in the phone maps, or at least I couldn't either. If your looking for a particular place in Geocaching.. then I can help you there.

There's not a place to enter coordinates perse.. but it can be done.

Open a particular cache that is near where you think the coordinates are.. or one near where you are.

Click Navigate.. then in the upper right corner of the app.. click the '...' IT will bring down a menu that has several options. Click Add Waypoint. When that comes up.. click N. to change the coordinates.. then enter W coordinates. Click add to current location or cache location. Click Done. A flag will appear on your map.. then you can touch the flag and another menu option will appear. You can set at target to cache or to your location. It will save when you exit.. meaning it will keep the waypoint for that cache with that cache so you can return to it again if you need to. This is a great benefit for doing multi caches.

Does this help? Hope I have explained it properly.

Giddy Up GeO

That may be the route I have to go. However, I've been reading, and it looks like in iPhone Maps that you can enter degrees and decimal units (ex. 44.5903 - 104.7153). Does anyone know of any way to convert Degrees Minutes Seconds to Decimal Degrees? I've looked at sites to try to convert, such as My link, but I can't seem to get the Degrees Minutes Seconds in correctly to get converted. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

I found a solution, in case anyone else sees this post! The coordinates I had were:

N 440 49.618 W 0930 36.026.

The key was figuring out how to enter the degree symbol 0 in iPhone maps. So when entering the coordinates into iPhone Maps, enter it exactly the same way as its listed above, but for the degree symbol, long-press the zero (0) key, and then you can select the 0 symbol. Voila, it works!

Edited by dtfamily

Each cache page on GC has the option to display alternate forms... including decimal degrees.

Look where you read your 'normal' decimal minutes coordinates and look at the link to 'Other Conversions'.

The other standard around here is 'Fizzycalc', I don't have a link at this moment but try Google.

You will find it mentioned often on the forums, great program for PC and free to boot.

There are others of course.

Doug 7rxc

Generally speaking -- it might well depend on the app (there's lots of them out there) -- entering the ° sign into a device that is used for coordinates (including dedicated GPSr units), you needn't bother with entering that symbol. The device already knows the first two (or three) slots are whole degrees. The key is entering the proper format (decimal placement).

Wanna convert? Simple enough to just Google "Coordinate Converter". Lots of sites pop up.

I have a unique question. While deer hunting I took coordinates off my iphone to send to a friend. Of course the coordinastes were in degrees, minutes and seconds. For example... N40 55 54 W75 34 57. Well how do i convert this so we can  put this into my or his GPS? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!!!

17 minutes ago, scheck1 said:

I have a unique question. While deer hunting I took coordinates off my iphone to send to a friend. Of course the coordinastes were in degrees, minutes and seconds. For example... N40 55 54 W75 34 57. Well how do i convert this so we can  put this into my or his GPS? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!!!

Use this Coordinates converter.

37 minutes ago, scheck1 said:

And if you want to do it by hand, then you do it the same way you would convert seconds into a fraction of a minute, or minutes into a fraction of an hour.

54 seconds is 54/60 = 0.90 minutes, and 57 seconds is 57/60 = 0.95 minutes. Therefore:

N40 55 54 W75 34 57 =
N40 55.90 W75 34.95

Edited by niraD
49 minutes ago, scheck1 said:

I have a unique question. While deer hunting I took coordinates off my iphone to send to a friend. 

Here is an app that I find interesting for deer hunting and geocaching. Not only can I use it to take coordinates, I can use it to view who owns the parcel of property. It comes in handy for asking permission to hunt or geocache.

Hunt Stand 

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

Here is an app that I find interesting for deer hunting and geocaching. Not only can I use it to take coordinates, I can use it to view who owns the parcel of property. It comes in handy for asking permission to hunt or geocache.

Hunt Stand 

NEVER MIND.  I FOUND IT.  The answer is "Click on the parcel."

How does this show who owns the property?  I have created an account and have zoomed in on the map to see the parcel boundaries.  There is one parcel that has a person's name in it, but all the others don't show anything.

Edited by NanCycle
New info--answered my own question
58 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

NEVER MIND.  I FOUND IT.  The answer is "Click on the parcel."

How does this show who owns the property?  I have created an account and have zoomed in on the map to see the parcel boundaries.  There is one parcel that has a person's name in it, but all the others don't show anything.

10 free checks per month. 1 per parcel. You can purchase unlimited requests. I just started using the app about 45 days ago for hunting, but as a past geocache hider I saw it's usefulness. :)