Bad Trade Items

If I find something in a cache like food or a lighter should I leave it in the cache or take it without a swap to remove it as it should not be there.

You can remove it without a trade. Toss in something if you have it and feel like making the donation, but you don't need to.

If I find something in a cache like food or a lighter should I leave it in the cache or take it without a swap to remove it as it should not be there.

Removing garbage does not require trading.

I always remove stuff without worrying about trading. In addition to "food", I remove scented candles and those annoying bubble tubes, anything that can attract creatures or make a mess inside the cache.

B.

Just take it away. I've often removed food items and small pocket knives from caches. They generally go in the nearest trash can. One time I found a cache full of seriously smelly soaps. I left them in the cache because it was a long walk back to the car and I didn't want my bag to stink of the soaps. That was one of very few times I was tempted to take them out of the cache and leave them on the trail, on the basis the rainwater would eventually wear them down and wash them away.

The guideline is to trade up or trade even. If something is worthless, then you don't need to leave anything to trade even. Of course, if you want to trade up, you're free to do that.

Which leads to all those threads about what is "worthless" and what should be traded or not... A knife is a forbidden item, but it's not worthless.

Expired coupons and food left in caches (no matter how well packaged) and empty wrappers are worthless in pretty much everyone's book. But I have found a scented candle in a cache once. It didn't belong, but wasn't worthless, so I traded for it.

Fortunately, I haven't had to remove anything really valuable from a cache yet.

The guideline is to trade up or trade even. If something is worthless, then you don't need to leave anything to trade even. Of course, if you want to trade up, you're free to do that.
Which leads to all those threads about what is "worthless" and what should be traded or not... A knife is a forbidden item, but it's not worthless.

By the time it's been in the cache a while and rusted it's as good as worthless. I'd still take the view that if it shouldn't be in the cache I'll take it away even if I don't have anything to trade for it.

Yea someone around here leaves condoms? What is up with that? I guess it is not useless but still I don't want them in my cache.

Personally I'd throw those out as well.

Just take it away. I've often removed food items and small pocket knives from caches. They generally go in the nearest trash can. One time I found a cache full of seriously smelly soaps. I left them in the cache because it was a long walk back to the car and I didn't want my bag to stink of the soaps. That was one of very few times I was tempted to take them out of the cache and leave them on the trail, on the basis the rainwater would eventually wear them down and wash them away.

The most horrible thing that I have ever found in a cache was a bar of soap that had grown to about twice it's size with mold. I'm not sure why anyone would leave soap in a cache.

Edited by Don_J

The most horrible thing that I have ever found in a cache was a bar of soap that had grown to about twice it's size with mold. I'm not sure why anyone would leave soap in a cache.

Sounds delightful. This soap I found smelled so strong it's hard to see even mould wanting to be in the same container.

I recently found a (thankfully un-used) condom in a cache and tossed it. It had been there for 6 months (I know this as there was a log mentioning the certain person leaving it and the date) with several cachers visiting it afterward. I swear I'm turning into a caching snob but it made me so angry that they couldn't just remove it >__> like, be decent. It should be common knowledge that something like that shouldn't be in there. And what's up with leaving gum? It gets all soggy and leaves the cache sticky/smelly... and who would eat gum like that in the first place? .__.'

Yeah, just toss things like that. We carry around trash bags for CITO and stuff like this. Fortunately we also carry along a lot of extra swag to fill up the caches afterward also. Helps out your fellow cacher :)

I don't understand why many people have a problem with condoms or tampons being used as trade items in caches. They are part of a decent survival pack:

A condom can save your life

Yes, that's a tampon in my mouth

No sane person would use them as intended, they are sealed and don't leak, smell or attract animals. What's the problem?

Yes because that's exactly what people think when they see these items: survival. eyeroll

I've found a lot of mini lollipops, party poppers and bullet shells in caches locally. I've removed them every time but not sure what the appropriateness level of each item is. Should I be saying something in the logs?

I would, but keep in mind that the person doing it may get a kick out of people logging and keep doing it. Ex. A lolipop was probably left there by a kid, so say something so they can see your log and use it as a learning experience. Found a sex toy? I'd probably not say anything and just remove it (with gloves of course). The jerk placing it there would probably get a kick out of your log and keep doing it to other caches. Don't feed the trolls!

i picked up a very nice knife once in a cache - before they were banned. still carry it in my purse. i never heard of anyone actually getting hurt from a folding pocket knife or multi-tool found in a cache. would rather find those than another dollar store toy.

The condom as a survival tool I think would only be valid if the cache is at the end of a 50 mile hike with no amenities or houses for that distance. My guess is, it wasn't.

Things like pocket knives could be quite nice, but I suppose there's the child safety argument. I suppose little knife-free multi-tools may be OK?

I've removed rocks a few times, often dirty, clearly grabbed from nearby and a fair amount of business cards (If your only advertising plan is caches, you have issues anyway...) - one cache I round had 10+ cards, none laminated, none even slightly relevant and half quite yucky.

I also see a lot of pennies and 5 pence coins. I suppose a young child may save 5p pieces up in a piggy bank, but a penny just seems like someone has majorly downgraded. It was just a modern, standard penny all times, I did check.

I don't really trade much, I keep meaning to put my bag of cheap goodies in the car. Nothing thrilling but a kid (u der 8 anyway) may like some.

I also see a lot of pennies and 5 pence coins. I suppose a young child may save 5p pieces up in a piggy bank, but a penny just seems like someone has majorly downgraded. It was just a modern, standard penny all times, I did check.

Since Canada phased out the penny, I figure they're going to become collector items. :laughing:

Things like pocket knives could be quite nice, but I suppose there's the child safety argument. I suppose little knife-free multi-tools may be OK?

child safety issues - like when the parents aren't paying attention to their kid while they are out caching and the kid finds a cache, gets the knife, opens it up and stabs himself? :-)

some guidelines are not logical.

Edited by RedShoesGirl