parking

pvtplt172

I have reached 50 caches and I am starting to venture out now. I have been places were I know parking is. my question is I am now starting to go to locations that I have never been before and would like to know how do you find parking to a cache so your car will not get towed. I have tried asking cach owners for good spots to park but they never reply back. I need some help!

Sometimes if the best parking is not really obvious the CO will list the parking area as an additional waypoint. So check the cache listing carefully and see if a suggested parking area has been provided. Most times you're on your own, though.

You'll just have to use your own judgement in most cases. Where would you park if you were in the area for any other purpose?

Geocaching is about searching and finding. Locating parking is part of that experience. If a CO doesn't provide a parking location then you have to go there and work it out yourself.I wouldn't respond to a parking request since I consider that part of the experience.

I agree.

We have made some (unnecessarily) long hikes to find some caches. It happens.

Things you learn with experience...................... and even things you need to "re-learn" occasionally! :):lol:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Geocaching is about searching and finding. Locating parking is part of that experience. If a CO doesn't provide a parking location then you have to go there and work it out yourself.I wouldn't respond to a parking request since I consider that part of the experience.

I agree.

We have made some (unnecessarily) long hikes to find some caches. It happens.

Things you learn with experience...................... and even things you need to "re-learn" occasionally! :):lol:

Quite true. Earlier this week I found a cache in a nice little-used park in Baton Rouge. The description clearly stated that there were two parking areas to access this long, narrow park (one at each end), and that the south one would put you reasonably close to the cache. Guess which lot I stumbled into first? 😳

Ended up walking about a half a mile round trip for that one 😎

When in an unfamiliar area, I usually will look at the Google Satellite view of that area. Visual Air Recon is always helpful.

I also like to research the area online before heading out for a cache. Using different maps can help - where I live in the UK, OpenStreetMap shows more parking areas than Google Maps. In rural areas I'll often start with Google Satellite view to look out likely spots, then check use Streetview to check whether there's enough space, or any restrictions on parking. In urban areas, the Parkopedia website can be a handy tool.

Keep in mind that even though it may not be another waypoint or mentioned in the cache description, often it will be mentioned in the logs. If I ever run across a cache with limited or difficult parking, I will make mention of it in my log for the benefit of future cachers.

I do the same. A mention in the log is a good idea - Grouchy has got this one correct!

Holy thread resurrection, Batman ;)

Many CO's here just provide parking coordinates, in places where there's a time limit or only paid parking many times alternative coordinates further away with free parking are given.

Anyone spending a long time planning a nice multi spends time pointing out parking spots too.

Many's the time I've done my best to find a place to park and ended up walking a l-o-n-g distance to a hide.

There's nothing quite like fighting your way through rocky streams, muddy trails, long, mosquitoful trail sections, finding the cache, and as you're stashing it back into its hidey-hole, hearing a trunklid slam.

Keep in mind that even though it may not be another waypoint or mentioned in the cache description, often it will be mentioned in the logs. If I ever run across a cache with limited or difficult parking, I will make mention of it in my log for the benefit of future cachers.

Thank you for that. It's much appreciated.

Sometimes if the best parking is not really obvious the CO will list the parking area as an additional waypoint. So check the cache listing carefully and see if a suggested parking area has been provided. Most times you're on your own, though.

You'll just have to use your own judgement in most cases. Where would you park if you were in the area for any other purpose?

I have severe anxiety. Especially about driving, parking safely, and trying to not get a ticket or having my car towed. If I cannot figure out parking and a CO does not tell me where parking is, I will skip the cache.

Checking previous logs for hints at parking locations is always a good idea. So is checking google maps (especially if there is a street view available)

I understand that some cache owners consider finding the parking spot is part of the experience but I can't understand a cache owner who doesn't even reply to an email. Even if it was to say "Sorry but I can't give any further hints"

Also it wouldn't hurt to put a note on the inside of your window explaining why you are parked there and maybe an approximation of when you'll return.