Download pocket queries to Magellan eXplorist GC using Windows 8

WeMightBeGiants

Help! I had to buy a new laptop that has Windows 8. I have a Magellan eXplorist GC & can't figure out how to download my pocket queries to it using this new Windows program. Please give me detailed steps on how to do this. I can't figure out how to copy the zip file & move it to the GPSr. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

I've written a detailed (and easy to read) guide on how to do this with both Magellan or Garmin GPS. On my resource site, page on Paperless caching. The guide is for Windows 7 but the process is the same with Windows 8.

Basics are: Download your PQ. Unzip it. Just open the zip file in File Explorer, right click the file and use Windows built in zip program to unzip it. You end up with two files: xxxx.gpx and xxxx-wpts.gpx. Plug in the GC to the PC and it will appear in File Explorer as a 'drive' with a drive letter assigned - it will look something like this: Magellan(F). Just copy the xxxx.gpx file to the Geocaches folder and xxxx-wpts.gpx file to the Waypoints folder. Eject the GC - Right click on it in File Explorer and select Eject and unplug it. You're done.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Edited by Graculus