Old phone boxes

A local phonebox near where I live (the typical red British one) has been transformed into a sort of public information/library booth, which led me to think "what an excellent place for a cache!"

Anyway, I was just wondering how I would go about hiding it and getting permission for it (I was just thinking of getting a big notebook with the geocaching symbol on so people would know what to look for.)

Cheers

A local phonebox near where I live (the typical red British one) has been transformed into a sort of public information/library booth, which led me to think "what an excellent place for a cache!"

Anyway, I was just wondering how I would go about hiding it and getting permission for it (I was just thinking of getting a big notebook with the geocaching symbol on so people would know what to look for.)

Cheers

Don't hold me to this as I'm not 100% but I think you should be okay if your local council doesn't mind geocaches...I know that BT do not wish geocaches to be placed in their operational phone boxes but if this isn't one of those then I'd go for it :)

It is correct you cannot place caches in current BT phone boxes (see this entry in the UK Geocaching Wiki) but old decommissioned boxes are fine. As for permission? As suggested, try the local parish council. If you do put such a cache in place please make sure you explain in a reviewer note when you submit the cache it is a decommissioned one and not an active BT one. Otherwise you'll get the cache back again with a polite note pointing out you can't put caches in BT phone boxes :lol:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Phone Box. Box. The clue is in the name. List it as a Large cache. If logbooks in waterproof bags are ok, and they seem to be as a bag is a (minimal) container that protects the log - the point of a container - then why isn't a waterproof, walk-in box acceptable? There are shipping container caches (well, at least one); another waterproof, walk-in box. Ditto garages and other 'outsized' caches. I'm calling for a stewards' enquiry on this one!

I was just thinking of getting a big notebook with the geocaching symbol on so people would know what to look for.

Nice idea ..... but ......

A traditional cache consists of at least a container and logbook

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#traditional

After reading up on the phonebox purpose now, the actual purpose is a public "book swap" facility, the container would be the box itself perhaps? :ph34r:

Phone Box. Box. The clue is in the name. List it as a Large cache. If logbooks in waterproof bags are ok, and they seem to be as a bag is a (minimal) container that protects the log - the point of a container - then why isn't a waterproof, walk-in box acceptable? There are shipping container caches (well, at least one); another waterproof, walk-in box. Ditto garages and other 'outsized' caches. I'm calling for a stewards' enquiry on this one!

Exactly! :D

I've found a couple of caches hidden in OLD phone boxes that have been turned in to Library's

I too thought what a great idea, and as there is to such boxes near me I went about getting promotion

I managed to speak directly to the head of each village comity and both said "NO"

the reason given was "they didn't want strangers in the villages , which might take the book's and not replace / swap them " , " just sell um on e-bay "

hence I haven't been able to locate any cache's in them .