Inventory of Architectural Patrimony

In Portugal exists an inventory of the architectonic patrimony with relevance and interest.

I know it's not a global category, despite some entries around the world (U.S., Italy, Netherlands, Spain and other countries), but i believe that it would be a good category and worth visiting.

This is something similar to the Smithsonian Art Inventory category but a little more comprehensive, as it covers also buildings that are considered art or monuments.

You can visit the Database here: IPA

A first draft of a category description:

IPA - Inventory of Architectural Patrimony is a base of technical and scientific data documenting the Portuguese architectural patrimony (in Portugal) and of Portuguese roots (spread throughout the world).

IPA identifies, records, documents, studies and promotes structures, buildings, and cultural landscapes of multiple values and significance.

The inventory includes all types of building, structure or built object that excels, that go beyond the strictly constructive, architectural or urban context, to transmit historical, social, political, scientific, technical, relevance.

The one place I looked up on the website had no photos (disappointing), and had TWO IPA numbers.

An interesting category that I hope passes peer review.

Yes not every places have photos, let's see if we can associate some nice photos to the places with the waymarks :) .

Some time ago they change the codes numbers of the entries but they maintain a reference to the old number in the case is still being used.

The old code numbers started whit PT and has twelve numbers (ex: PT000000000000)the new ones start whit IPA. and have eight numbers (ex: IPA.00000000). This is explained in the variables field but i will add it to the description.

Thank you for your comments.

I am surprised by some of the negative comments in Peer Review. For a country-specific category, the potential waymarks are certainly global. I already have a plan to visit relevant waymarks in Connecticut or Massachusetts. As for the database, I had good access without register or log-in. This particular database is more straightforward than others we have to use in different waymark categories. PS I am in Canada and I am not a category officer.

I am surprised by some of the negative comments in Peer Review. For a country-specific category, the potential waymarks are certainly global. I already have a plan to visit relevant waymarks in Connecticut or Massachusetts. As for the database, I had good access without register or log-in. This particular database is more straightforward than others we have to use in different waymark categories. PS I am in Canada and I am not a category officer.

When this category was first proposed I checked out the link to the database, and had no trouble at all accessing it (I did NOT register). You can tell I accessed it by my forum post.

Last night I accessed it again, and I assure everyone you do NOT need to register, and you do NOT need to understand the language. If I can do it, anyone can!

When this category was first proposed I checked out the link to the database, and had no trouble at all accessing it (I did NOT register). You can tell I accessed it by my forum post.

Last night I accessed it again, and I assure everyone you do NOT need to register, and you do NOT need to understand the language. If I can do it, anyone can!

We voted no becuse we struggled w the database -- we will change our vote to approve if we can get into it and navigate when we get home

For those of you in the U.S.A. looking for listing on the database, here's how I accessed them, without having to register:

click on the link in the category description that takes you to the database

Choose country/pais (it's not in English, but you can tell which country is ours)

Click on the magnifying glass.

Scroll down to see the three results for U.S.A.. Easy peasy.

Edited by Max and 99

For those of you in the U.S.A. looking for listing on the database, here's how I accessed them, without having to register:

Choose country/pais (it's not in English, but you can tell which country is ours)

I could not explain better how to consult the database.

Yes, as Max and 99 said it is not necessary to make any registration or login for be able to do a search and to consult the database.

If the category pass peer review I will add this information as well as others minor changes that are being suggested in the peer review:

- Clarify the posting instructions, a description in Portugese is not required and what kind of photos are required.

- To add a couple of examples the description.

Thank you

I could not explain better how to consult the database.

Yes, as Max and 99 said it is not necessary to make any registration or login for be able to do a search and to consult the database.

If the category pass peer review I will add this information as well as others minor changes that are being suggested in the peer review:

- Clarify the posting instructions, a description in Portugese is not required and what kind of photos are required.

- To add a couple of examples the description.

Thank you

Being a guy, I reviewed the category without instructions except for what was provided in the writeup. I could not access the database just by looking at what was provided. I use search databases like this frequently for the National Register properties I writeup. I got no returns when I tried to run the database - hence, my thought that registration was required. If special instructions are needed for the database, they most certainly need to be provided in the writeup. This was mostly the basis of my negative review. My question still is that does this open special categories for each country - i.e. French, Spanish, or if taken to the extreme, San Marinian architecture? What about categories by architect or by style? Don't get me wrong - I am THOROUGHLY enjoying learning about buildings and building styles, I'm just asking... Thanks.