log book in micro container

christyglpn

Sometimes it's easier to replace the log in the TOP of the container before you close it, especially if it's like this one!

In fact, many containers won't close properly unless you put the log in the top because the rolled up log gets in the way of the top screwing down. This is almost always true of the little nanos shown, but it's often a problem with other micro containers.

To the original poster: remember that the fun is in finding the cache, so don't worry too much if it turns out you can't sign the log for one reason or another. Even after you learn all the tricks, you'll always run into things that you can't overcome even as you hold the container in your hand. But even that can be fun as you report the problem -- whether it was with the cache or with you -- in your DNF log.

But to answer your question: 9 times out of 10, the solution is needle nosed tweezers.

As you gain more experience you'll come to realize there are a few basic items you'll want to carry along while caching. A writing implement of some sort, obviously. A pair of pointy tweezers for retrieving those pesky nano logs. A small flashlight. A pair of gloves. These and a few other items can be very useful in Geocaching.

For retrieving those nano logs, instead of tweezers I've heard some folks carry a safety pin with the pointy tip bent slightly to form a little hook. Easy to carry, can be pinned to your GPS lanyard or clothing or even carried in your wallet.

For retrieving those nano logs, instead of tweezers I've heard some folks carry a safety pin with the pointy tip bent slightly to form a little hook. Easy to carry, can be pinned to your GPS lanyard or clothing or even carried in your wallet.

Yep. That's what I do.

Also handy if someone in the group splits their trousers while out! :lol:

don't have tweezers so will have to avoid for a while
I have tweezers as part of my Leatherman Micra multi-tool, which I carry everywhere. But I don't used it very often for the logs of micro-caches and nano-caches. I find that I can usually get the log out by holding the container with the log in one hand, and slapping that hand against my other hand. Most of the time, after just a few slaps, the momentum of the log carries it out of the container far enough that I can grab it with my fingers. Rolling it back up tightly enough that it fits back in the container is usually harder than getting it out.