Just Starting Out...

murlie0731

My family and I know about caching, but have never done it. Over dinner tonight, we agreed to start doing it as something to do as a family and to get us out of the house (especially away from the TV). I am looking at buying a Handheld GPS to help mark trails and deer stands (55+ stands) on our lease, as well as to use it to begin our journey of caching. I have been looking at the following GPS units online and looking at reviews (as I research everything). Just need help figuring out which one would work best both for hunting and caching needs.

1. Delorme PN60

2. Garmin eTrex 20 & 30

3. Garmin 62s

4. Garmin Oregon 450/550

It is my understanding too that the Delorme comes with maps and Garmin doesn't come with any maps, and would have to pay a lot of money for them. Let me know if I am correct in this. I live in NW Louisiana and for now, plan on using it in LA, AR, MO, TN, TX.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your responses. Also...should you have any recommendations I should look at, let me know. I want a good deal and if you have a place to buy, let me know that too!

Edited by murlie0731

It is true that Delorme comes with maps... exceptionally good maps.

Garmin units with a "T" in the designation come with maps, but you still pay for them if you check prices against those without that designation.

All (current) Garmin units come with base maps... major roadways, but little more.

You needn't necessarily pay for maps as there are downloads available, both of cost and free.

You would want an SD card to place the maps on, and that will cost you some, not too much though, for any unit. Maps take a bit of space and memory. Using a card for the maps frees memory for faster loading, tracking, etc. They can hold other data as well as mapping.

I really like my 62s but if you prefer a touchscreen then an Oregon is for you. I have downloaded free maps from OpenStreetMap to my 62s and they have been great. I've cached in a number of countries and had little problem. See if you can find some geocachers in your area with the particular units you are looking at and go and have a play with them.

If you prefer the idea of a touch screen I'd go with either of the Oregons. I have the Oregon 550 and I like it a lot. The 62s is an excellent unit as well. Just depends on which style of interface you prefer, really.

I find the touch screen is much more handy for entering field notes, naming waymarks, etc. I had an Etrex before and entering text with that little joystick was a pain in the butt.

Some people will say that you get better reception with the 62s because of the design of the antenna, and that may be true, or it may be strictly anecdotal. You wouldn't go wrong with either of those two units, I think.