Virtual Travel Bugs?

Hueman Fossil

Greetings all,

I have been trying to think of creative ways to use travel bug coeds lately, and possibly, I have stumbled upon a clever idea. The idea is a virtual travel bug. For example, in the video game Counter Strike: Global Offensive, players are able to put a custom "name tag" on their weapons. This could be a travel bug code (although, this would be excessively difficult to find). I also know some game developers that might be willing to actually put the code into the game itself (and put it like on a wall or something). Us gamers like to call treats like this "Easter eggs."

I know that geocaching is really about getting outside and going somewhere, but there have been times when I was sick or snowed in but still wanted to go caching. In virtual worlds, like games, you could still get some caching fun.

Any ideas, suggestions or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

I have stumbled upon a clever idea. The idea is a virtual travel bug. For example, in the video game Counter Strike: Global Offensive, players are able to put a custom "name tag" on their weapons. This could be a travel bug code

Sometimes you'll read that Groundspeak "discourages" you from distributing your TB code. There was a time when the idea was "one tracking code per item". But it seems like the policy has been relaxed. There are tracking codes on Facebook pages now, not too far from your idea. If there's a problem (I guess from GS's point of view, it's about server load?), your TB page may be locked, allowing no new logs. If you're willing to risk that, it might be OK.

Maybe set it up to be Discover-only, so it would not be not retrieved/dropped?

Edited by kunarion
I have stumbled upon a clever idea. The idea is a virtual travel bug. For example, in the video game Counter Strike: Global Offensive, players are able to put a custom "name tag" on their weapons. This could be a travel bug code

Sometimes you'll read that Groundspeak "discourages" you from distributing your TB code. There was a time when the idea was "one tracking code per item". But it seems like the policy has been relaxed. There are tracking codes on Facebook pages now, not too far from your idea. If there's a problem (I guess from GS's point of view, it's about server load?), your TB page may be locked, allowing no new logs. If you're willing to risk that, it might be OK.

Maybe set it up to be Discover-only, so it would not be not retrieved/dropped?

I don't think Groundspeak would have a problem with you sharing your TB's numbers. :D

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d5d1288b-0e15-4cf4-9de3-45a2dfe8c9c8

I don't think Groundspeak would have a problem with you sharing your TB's numbers. :D

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d5d1288b-0e15-4cf4-9de3-45a2dfe8c9c8

With the caveat that GS placed in the Knowledge Book, I won't tell anyone that there's no problem. Policies change.

"Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this, and delete any bogus logs." [emphasis added]

If this means GS won't police the logs, well, that's sort of implied with most any logs. Strange that it would be stipulated as the owners' responsibility in this case. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Thank you for the replies.

Distributing a tracking number is something Im willing to risk. Especially now that I know I can add it to my collection (aka, only discoverable right?)

So the next question is, would anyone actually take the time to try and get the number by playing a game?

I have a tracking number online sometimes people grab it and I just grab it back.

http://www.geocachin...aspx?id=4784234

move it to your collection and people can only discover it and write notes. right now people can drop your trackable into caches and confuse alot of people. It's this reason and racking up a bunch of fake miles is why i think they don't allow people to share them or use not not allow it. (they might now it seems)

I would like to know what they would do about many items sharing the same number if again it was put into a collection so it doesn't jump around like crazy. disadvantage is it would not show up in any inventory even when they are in the cache, but would not mean everyone would keep grabbing it from each other. I would like to do this for instance for calling card coins

Edited by Intrepid Dyad

Okay, so I decided to just make one and see how it went. Check it out here TB5KHVJ. This is just an example of one way to do a virtual TB, and I will probably change it later.

I did however find where, if a geocache requires a user to download or submit info on another website, the cache would not be published. So I bet that it might be similar for a TB. (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#thirdpartycontent) That being said, the example I provided above does not require any info to be given, just a link to my steam profile (where there would be some searching for the item in the screenshot that's on the TB page).

Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Interesting conversation.  I just got interested in this since i happened across a geocacher who boldly advertises one and decided to look into it.  I have virtual geocache.  It seems that a virtual travel bug in a virtual geocache is a good match.  What else can you do?  It is a way to keep travel bugs going?  I’ve just had a bad situation with real travel bugs, where i put them into a geocache and next day a novice comes along, takes both, only logs one of them and does it incorrectly.  This would be a real cure for all that.

• Funny 1