gpz vs. gpx

You do a bunch of PQ's and run five a day that gets you 5K a day. If have an app with API access like GSAK you do 6 of those for another 6000. That's 11K each day. You then need to convert them to gzz using GSAK or one of the other apps and load that file. Personally I take a small netbook to use GSAK and download caches as I travel. Heck they are cheaper than your gps and are real handy. And having the thousand closest to,where I am stopped seems to fill my needs.

You could even get the PQ's to your gps from your Android phone and upload your field notes daily.

Okay, so the new Oregon (6xx) can hold up to 4 million caches, right? How the heck would you load that many? We're retired and we travel a lot. So having caches already loaded for several states would be great. But since a PQ can only be 1000 caches, how would one load them to the device?

Two things here-it can hold 4 million caches. That doesn't mean it's the best idea to do so. And

a PQ, as in one. Nothing stops you from putting multiple PQ's on a device. It may take some work but it's possible.

You can't create thousands of pqs. I think you only can have 20 active at a time. But it isn't hard in GSAK. When you get the notice of pq ready you open gsak. Got to Geocaching.com Access and download the queries to one single database. Setup your device under GPS Setup and hook up and transfer. Not that hard although there are macros that will help out.

There are probably other programs that will gather multiple pqs into one ggz file but I don't know which ones.

Are you saying that in your travels you don't take a Android Tablet or a laptop or a netbook or an Android phone. Any (with some exceptions for the android devices but most do) of those will let you run pqs and download to your gps as you go.

You can't create thousands of pqs. I think you only can have 20 active at a time. […]

Actually the limit is 35 (5 per day) active PQs. smile.gif

GGZ tools: https://github.com/rfuchs/ggz-tools

http://geoget.ararat.cz/doku.php/ggzgen

Hans

Thanks I haven't run a pq in so long I forgot the upper limit (i knew about the 5 a day and probably phrased my response wrong). Figured there had to be other programs but since I don't have one hadn't explored it.

WOW I had no idea it was that large. Many years ago I bumped against the top and got a "you have exceeded the maximumm amount of PQs". I guess it doesn't matter how many you have since they take up so little space but the 5 a day has remained. As I may have said before I haven't run a pq except for My Finds in so long since the api came out.

You do a bunch of PQ's and run five a day that gets you 5K a day. If have an app with API access like GSAK you do 6 of those for another 6000. That's 11K each day. You then need to convert them to gzz using GSAK or one of the other apps and load that file. Personally I take a small netbook to use GSAK and download caches as I travel. Heck they are cheaper than your gps and are real handy. And having the thousand closest to,where I am stopped seems to fill my needs.

You could even get the PQ's to your gps from your Android phone and upload your field notes daily.

Can you please elaborate on getting PQ's to your gps from your Android phone. How do you do it?

Assuming you don't have the Montana you buy a OTG cable and hook that to the phone, then hook up the Garmin using the standard usb cable, then access the website and download pqs to the phone then use a file program to move them to the device. It is a little hard using the website on a phone but doable.

If you have the Montana you have to use a powered USB cable because the power draw is more than a phone has.

Assuming you don't have the Montana you buy a OTG cable and hook that to the phone, then hook up the Garmin using the standard usb cable, then access the website and download pqs to the phone then use a file program to move them to the device. It is a little hard using the website on a phone but doable.

If you have the Montana you have to use a powered USB cable because the power draw is more than a phone has.

It also depends on the phone...some do not support the use of an OTG cable.