Alamogul Topping 100,000

geocat_

I am sure others have noticed that the top geo dog, Alamogul, is nearing 100,000 finds. He is now over 99,000 finds. So I am trying to guess the date he will hit 100,000. Of course, this number could mean All Geocache Finds (counts Lab Caches), the number of finds on his statistics page, or the number of distinct finds on his stats page. How about we just agree to use the number of "All Geocache Finds". As of today, he has 99,109. So when do you think he will hit 100,000? I will take a stab at it and say April 5th.

I am sure others have noticed that the top geo dog, Alamogul, is nearing 100,000 finds. He is now over 99,000 finds. So I am trying to guess the date he will hit 100,000. Of course, this number could mean All Geocache Finds (counts Lab Caches), the number of finds on his statistics page, or the number of distinct finds on his stats page. How about we just agree to use the number of "All Geocache Finds". As of today, he has 99,109. So when do you think he will hit 100,000? I will take a stab at it and say April 5th.

I'm sure he has a plan on when it's going to happen, and his "caching buddies" are well aware of it. I'll bet there will even be an event or something. :P By the way, great guy, and there is no leapfroging or 3 cache monte on power trails going on there. No 125 attends for events in Ohio for finding "temporary caches" 200 feet apart. This guy is hardcore, and I dare you to keep up with him if you're ever out on the trail with him. :)

I think april may be too far in the future. Let me give you this stat from Project-gc:

Fastest 1000 finds: 2 days from 2010-06-18 to 2010-06-19

Last 1000 finds: 10 days

I'll give him until March 22nd....if I were guessingph34r.gif

Edited by ADKer

I live two towns over from Alamogul and while I've run into many a geocacher out on the trail, I've run into one geocacher twice... and only one geocacher more than twice -- Alamogul, who I have run into no fewer than four times. He's out there all the time, every day. And I think it's great.

I'm sure he has a plan on when it's going to happen, and his "caching buddies" are well aware of it. I'll bet there will even be an event or something. :P By the way, great guy, and there is no leapfroging or 3 cache monte on power trails going on there. No 125 attends for events in Ohio for finding "temporary caches" 200 feet apart. This guy is hardcore, and I dare you to keep up with him if you're ever out on the trail with him. :)

What kind of trail? Power trail?, or steep hiking trail. Granted, I can't keep up with anyone on a steep hiking trail, but I eventually make it to the top.

I've had my eye on Lee's progress for months in anticipation of 100k. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be down there if there is an event. Would love to attend.

I originally ran across his logs just after he got started. Our Northern California caching areas overlapped and it was easy back then to be aware of the serious cachers because the membership was low in numbers. I wrote to my brother in Seattle and said, "Get a load of this guy! 400 finds in just a couple of months." How was that possible? So I checked his stats to see if there were finds in different parts of the state on the same day - as in, was this a team of people operating separately. The routes checked out. This guy was the real deal! I've been following his progress ever since.

Looks like it's going to be "100k" rather than "Bust". Good to see the time has come for this major milestone in our game.

What kind of trail? Power trail?, or steep hiking trail. Granted, I can't keep up with anyone on a steep hiking trail, but I eventually make it to the top.

Hiking trail, not necessarily steep. State Gamelands No. 143 in NW Pa. right after Geowoodstock in July 2011. He just happened to stumble upon my party of 3 at a cache, and ended up doing 8 or 9 more with us, and about a 4 mile round trip hike. Dude is shot out of a rocket. And he can't stand more than about 5'5", not exactly a long legged person. :P

I think april may be too far in the future. Let me give you this stat from Project-gc:

Fastest 1000 finds: 2 days from 2010-06-18 to 2010-06-19

Last 1000 finds: 10 days

I'll give him until March 22nd....if I were guessingph34r.gif

I was with him on two recent power caching trips to the Southern California desert. In February we found 1,900 caches in 14 days and earlier in March we found a little over 1,000 caches in 7 days. Now he's back home where he's already found just about about everything within 100 miles, so at best he can only find a few a day as people hide them. He's going on a river cruise trip to Europe in April where he'll only find a couple hundred or so. Beyond that, he plans to take it easy for a while and hit the big 100K at GeoWoodstock in May.

I live two towns over from Alamogul and while I've run into many a geocacher out on the trail, I've run into one geocacher twice... and only one geocacher more than twice -- Alamogul, who I have run into no fewer than four times. He's out there all the time, every day. And I think it's great.

To continue with this slightly OT line, I saw Alamogul's name on a log yesterday--in Colorado from 2010 on a sticker with 3 other names.

Hmmm...so he's been going since late 2002.

11.5 years

That works out to almost 101,000 hours.

So he's found on average almost one cache every hour for the last 11 and 1/2 years?

Your math appears to be correct, so the answer to the question is YES.

Edited by cheech gang

11.5 years

So he's found on average almost one cache every hour for the last 11 and 1/2 years?

Your math appears to be correct, so the answer to the question is YES.

So I don't know how this is anything but the equivalent of a full-time job for him. Obviously he's not LITERALLY finding one every hour of every day, there must be days where he is caching from the time he wakes up until he's ready to crash...and more days like that than not to meet that average.

I've personally never known what it's like to be THAT into something that I want to continue doing it every moment I can. I suppose I should applaud his passion (or obsession?), but it's just not something I can relate to.

So I don't know how this is anything but the equivalent of a full-time job for him.

Not a job, of course, but, yes, I think he spends most of this time on it. Sometimes I think he must be doing lots of park&grabs, and I've been there a couple of times to see him drive up, jump out, sign the log, and drive off, all within a minute or two while I'm still deciding which way to head next. But then on another day, I see a log that tells me he hiked a few miles into a park to pick up a new cache. And he sets new caches all the time, and most of them require some walking.

So on the one hand, I understand when people question whether it's really possible, but, on the other hand, caching not far from his home, I encounter physical evidence of his exploits all the time, and I've never once seen anything that made me think he was even capable of cheating.

I can't imagine working at anything that hard, either, but I can't help but admire him.

So I don't know how this is anything but the equivalent of a full-time job for him.

Not a job, of course, but, yes, I think he spends most of this time on it. Sometimes I think he must be doing lots of park&grabs, and I've been there a couple of times to see him drive up, jump out, sign the log, and drive off, all within a minute or two while I'm still deciding which way to head next. But then on another day, I see a log that tells me he hiked a few miles into a park to pick up a new cache. And he sets new caches all the time, and most of them require some walking.

So on the one hand, I understand when people question whether it's really possible, but, on the other hand, caching not far from his home, I encounter physical evidence of his exploits all the time, and I've never once seen anything that made me think he was even capable of cheating.

I can't imagine working at anything that hard, either, but I can't help but admire him.

Several years ago, I was driving my 32' delivery truck down a main road in my home town when I passed four out of town cachers at a GZ of a particularly hard to find cache. I turned the truck around, passed them in the other direction, turned the truck around again and came back. I pulled up and stopped which was putting me off my schedule, but no big deal to me as I figured that I was going to have one of those special geocaching experiences where you run into other cachers in the field. I gave them a hint, and then was quickly dismissed as they were obviously on a mission to find many more caches that day and couldn't be bothered to spend an extra minute even being friendly. I guess that's how you find a 100,000 caches.

Several years ago, I was driving my 32' delivery truck down a main road in my home town when I passed four out of town cachers at a GZ of a particularly hard to find cache. I turned the truck around, passed them in the other direction, turned the truck around again and came back. I pulled up and stopped which was putting me off my schedule, but no big deal to me as I figured that I was going to have one of those special geocaching experiences where you run into other cachers in the field. I gave them a hint, and then was quickly dismissed as they were obviously on a mission to find many more caches that day and couldn't be bothered to spend an extra minute even being friendly. I guess that's how you find a 100,000 caches.

It's not how Alamogul does it. Sure, he's on a mission -- a hurry, even -- but the three or four times I've bumped into him out caching, he's never been anything but courteous.

It's not how Alamogul does it. Sure, he's on a mission -- a hurry, even -- but the three or four times I've bumped into him out caching, he's never been anything but courteous.
I haven't gone geocaching with him, but I know people who have. They enjoyed caching with him, even though they admit that keeping up with him can be a challenge.

I'm on Bobcam's side. But I'm glad that he has a pace-setter like Alamogul to keep him going.

Who let the dog in? :blink:

I'm personally can't understand why some people who are obsessed with numbers are also not concerned about duplicate finds.

I've emailed a couple such people to tell them and was surprised to see they did not go back and delete their duplicate finds.

I believe many of Alomogal's duplicate finds are intentional, however some might not be. Wouldn't you want to know your exact find count, especially if you're celebrating a big milestone? :huh:

cc677a78-9116-478b-92db-10cb0956dd69.png

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I seriously doubt my total of 2,104 is precise. I'm certain I've missed logging finds and I've probably got a couple in there that I logged as finds but -- after a long day -- forgot whether I found it or not. Any notion that, at 100,000, you aren't going to be off by a couple of hundred -- no matter how precise the attempt -- seems naive.

I seriously doubt my total of 2,104 is precise. I'm certain I've missed logging finds and I've probably got a couple in there that I logged as finds but -- after a long day -- forgot whether I found it or not. Any notion that, at 100,000, you aren't going to be off by a couple of hundred -- no matter how precise the attempt -- seems naive.

While you have a good point, the simple fact that the website clearly tracks "distinct finds" should be enough to give pause. If I were going for such a record, I'd at least acknowledge the discrepancy.

I am very meticulous about logging my caches and am very confident that my finds are pretty accurate, I'd be surprised if I was more than 1 off and there is no way I'll be off a couple hundred if/when I hit 100k, it won't even be a couple dozen.

It is very easy to check for duplicate logs through gsak and if I was the first one approaching 100k I'd definitely look for any before hitting the milestone.

While you have a good point, the simple fact that the website clearly tracks "distinct finds" should be enough to give pause. If I were going for such a record, I'd at least acknowledge the discrepancy.

I was actually surprised by the duplicate log, I thought they were traveling caches which still is a discrepancy IMHO, even though they are hidden in new spots and you are encouraged to log each time you find it I'm a firm believer in one GC code, one smiley and although I have found a few traveling caches if I ever refound them I'd just log a note.

The rest of the discrepancy is those darn lab caches that kinda count and kinda don't count so all other discrepancies aside he kinda hit 100k.

Edited by Roman!

I know my count is out by one (4672/4671), but how does one go about correcting the miscount? Other than going back through all my log stats?

It's easy in gsak, add the column called find count, click it and it'll sort highest to lowest or lowest to highest. Your duplicate logged cache will be either at the very top or very bottom.

I know my count is out by one (4672/4671), but how does one go about correcting the miscount? Other than going back through all my log stats?

Project-GC tells me is the problem. (Assuming I did that correctly...)

There should be one more, I saw 4672/4670 on the stats page.

Rainbow Spirit has found 4672 caches (4670 distinct) since 06/11/2008.

Edited by Roman!

Really? My find count is precise and I have about the same number as you. As I go, I mark each one as 'found' on my GPSr so it's not hard to log them accurately at home.

It might be hard to find the occasional one that you forget to log, however, it's much easier to find duplicate logs. Just check out project-gc.com.

Project-GC tells me is the problem. (Assuming I did that correctly...)

There should be one more, I saw 4672/4670 on the stats page.

Rainbow Spirit has found 4672 caches (4670 distinct) since 06/11/2008.

The other is this one.

11.5 years

One good day on a PT and you can take a month and a half off.

Mind you in my 3 years I'm just over 1/3 cache per hour.

Edited by Roman!

In fact they really have a lot of finds. But are you all sure, that they really made this number?

917 finds in one day? This means every 95 seconds a found with fetching the container, getting out the logbook, writing a name or a sticker on it, putting the logbook back, closing the container and put it back again? To be honest: Alamoul has 100.000 log entries on GC.com but never found this amount of containers.

There is a story of some cachers, also having a big number of finds. They where caching around a city but in the end, they logged every cache around in this area even if they where not at the cache. The owners found out and in the end deleted the faked logs. I'm quite sure if all the owners of the "power trails" which where logged by alamogul had controlled the logbooks, there would be a far way to real 100k.

Just my thoughts

Thomas

Edited by Die Nemos

Really? My find count is precise and I have about the same number as you. As I go, I mark each one as 'found' on my GPSr so it's not hard to log them accurately at home.

It might be hard to find the occasional one that you forget to log, however, it's much easier to find duplicate logs. Just check out project-gc.com.

I should restate: my find count is precise. I doubt it's accurate. If we accept that there's no legitimate reason to have a duplicate log on any cache (e.g., challenges that can be met a few ways), and likewise assume he's not just forgotten to log some caches, he's still only off by one part by about on part in a thousand. In 2,000 caches, I'm quite certain there are at least a few errors in there. 100,000 +/- 0.1% is good enough for me. Beyond that any accuracy is pretty illusory.

917 finds in one day? This means every 95 seconds a found with fetching the container, getting out the logbook, writing a name or a sticker on it, putting the logbook back, closing the container and put it back again?
Welcome to the wonder of modern numbers run trails. I believe that Lee has completed a few of them.

Edited by niraD

In fact they really have a lot of finds. But are you all sure, that they really made this number?

All I can tell you is that I cache in one of the areas Alamogul hangs out, I've run into him a few times, and I've seen his signature in many logs. In four years, I've never once seen anything to make me think he has or would even consider logging caches he hasn't actually found. When you see the man in action, it's easy to believe he's found 100,000.