Garmin Montana 650T - Help adding Multi-Stage Coords?

Can anyone walk me though a Step by Step on the Easiest way to do MultiStage Caches, with my Garmin Montana 650T???

I'm not real savvy on all the ins and outs of this GPSr yet. I don't get a lot of time to use it.

Currently, the way I use it is, I go to Geocaching.com and find a few caches in the area I want to cache in...

Each one, I print out the sheet for the cache (I know this defeats the purpose of ""Paperless", but thats how I do it)

then I click on "Send to my GPS" and it pushes it into my GPSr...

Works very smooth, neer any issues...

Then I drive to the area I want to explore, turn on my Montana, select "Geocaching Mode", select cache of interest, follow to Ground Zero, Find Cache... Works really good. No issues...

However, I've been seeing more and more Multi-Stage Caches, where the Cache owner lists each stage in plain text and the cacher needs to manually enter it, each stage into their GPSr...

So, I've been going and finding the 1st stage then adding the next stage by By doing the following

<Off Garmin's Page> https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bb4ba02e0-96f8-11e0-d01c-000000000000%7D

1.Touch Mark Waypoint

2.Touch Edit

3.Touch the Location box

4.Use the arrow buttons to select the character you would like to change

5.Use the number pad to select new numbers or use the up or down arrows to select letters

6.Touch the check mark when completed

7.Touch the X when completed

Then from the main menu, I pick "Where too" then ""Waypoints"... Then the name of the waypoint I want to seach for, then "GO"...

Here is where the problem comes in...

It doesn't actually go to the new waypoint I created, it goes to the next closest Cache that I have loaded...

There has to be a better way to do this for the slower kids like me...

According to this page on the Garmin Montana Wiki, to enter the coordinates for the next stage of a multi you need to go to the Geocaching Menu and select Enter Next Stage. The rest should be easy.

Oh, and please don't log the cache as found before you actually find the final stage....

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Thanks Fellas... Makes sense and I think that'll get me what I need... Hopefully the G/F and I will be able to log a few this weekend...

I think I've got her at least Semi-hooked on Caching...

I talked to her earlier and had her download the Geocaching app on her Iphone... She created her an account, looked at the 5 we found last week and ask if she could mark'em found, then said she added like 12 on her list she wants to find next time...

By the way, instead of downloading a cache to your device one at a time, start exploring the pocket queries feature that your premium membership gives you. You can set up searches that return up to 1000 geocaches for an area at once. It saves a lot of time importing caches to your GPS.

By the way, instead of downloading a cache to your device one at a time, start exploring the pocket queries feature that your premium membership gives you. You can set up searches that return up to 1000 geocaches for an area at once. It saves a lot of time importing caches to your GPS.

You are right it does save a lot of time... I need to try that...

Each next stage will appear as a multi icon on the map while you're doing it. However, if you leave the area, the icon "disappears" from the map, but not your internal memory. If you go back (say a few days later) and click on the geocache button, it shows up on the list - at least on my old Montana it did. I had to send it in and got a refurb unit and haven't found any multis with it yet over a period of days.

A proper multi-cache has additional waypoints added plus the questions. You can then navigate via the waypoints, if the coordinates are known of course, and see the questions as well.

With a text-editor, you could enter the waypoints manually, and also questions, if they aren't provided in the additional waypoint info.

Unfortunately there are a lot of multi-caches which don't have the additional waypoints. The feature might not have been around when the cache-listing was created, the owner doesn't know about it, or the owner is too lazy to add them.