Windows 7 upgrade doesn't recognise etrex h

Due to MS phasing out win xp on 1st April this year upgraded home devices to win 7 and now my yellow etrex h isn't recognised on any of the windows 7 pcs. it works on a friends pc that runs windows xp. I've tried installing the vista drivers as read a forum that said these work and didn't. I'm connecting via a USB cable using the prolific usb/serial port drivers too and still doesn't work. Any ideas? I love my garmin gps and it's so accurate, can't afford to buy a new gps and seems a shame to bin this one coz it doesn't work with windows 7

This is the problem with legacy hardware. It becomes difficult to support. The serial interface has been replaced by the faster and more robust USB interface. If you have to have an antique GPS, you might be able to find a used newer, but still old eTrex vista model at an affordable price. They look and act just like your etrex h, but connect via USB.

Solved! Thank you everyone with your suggestions.. I did try the latest prolific drivers and they didn't work however found a blog about Vista ones and tried these and they worked. A virtual xp machine was going to be my last resort. However, I found that installing the drivers didn't initially work, you have to go into device manager after and force windows to use them. For some reason even though you run an install program for the drivers, windows will automatically assign its own.

For how I forced the drivers please see these windows 8 intructions http://leftbraintinkering.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/usb-to-serial-prolific-2303-device.html#!/2013/05/usb-to-serial-prolific-2303-device.html

for the drivers I used Vista prolific version 3.2.0.0 found on http://www.cooldrives.com/lib/cooldrives/vista-prolific-chip-driver-for-serial-adapters.zip

I can now use my faithful Garmin Etrex H with windows 7! :D

I ran into this same problem when I had to upgrade to Win 8.1 about six months ago. My Etrex Vista is pretty old but still works fine. But with the new Win Operating System, the Etrex Vista stopped communicating via the Serial to USB converter that I had been using for years.

After a few months of off and on researching, I discovered that the chip in my old converter was not compatible with Win. 8.1. Searching around on Amazon, I found a converter that IS compatible. Now I'm back up and running, able to move data back and forth from the laptop to the GPSer. Here's the link on Amazon, if anybody is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Premium-Converter-Supports/dp/B00BUZ0K68/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394911345&sr=1-1&keywords=tera+grand+premium+high+speed+usb+2.0+to+serial

So you're saying that the serial connection for the Etrex H now works with your computer.

So if I use this then my old serial plug can be used again instead of getting a modded USB one?

:blink:

Hi I have a usb/serial converter lead that came with garmin so it hooks up into the usb port on the pc. It's an all in one lead, but i think you can buy them on ebay. Not sure about your lead though as not many pcs have a serial port now. You have to use drivers to 'convert' the port to virtual serial port to get it to work and this is what I was having issues with as Garmin didn't release any for win7. I even posted form help on a garmin comms site and they closed the post stating it wasn't for that sort of help! and told me to post here!